• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it bad form to ask a seller if a book is pressed in the For Sale area? Or keep question to PM?
3 3

96 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, MR SigS said:
14 hours ago, Jeffro™ said:

Right. Because your reality (and in your case I use that term lightly) is the only thing that matters. Total nonsense. Best of luck with any future sales on this board. 

Every reply; "Were these pressed, and will they be bagged and boarded?"

If I wanted to know if a book was pressed I would PM it to the seller. 

On another pressing note I would love to hear a press release by CGC that any signs of a bad press will be factored in on the end grade and will be listed in on the grading notes. CGC has been doing this for a long time now and for sure can see a book that has been badly pressed and hammer it to the hills. 

On 6/17/2019 at 3:53 PM, Bomber-Bob said:
On 6/17/2019 at 3:37 PM, Nico Esq said:

There appears to be a growing community of people that are taking the position that rehydration, pressing and dry-cleaning are bad (I am not one of those people so please don't ask me to defend this position).  Insofar as some people in our community engage in strange shenanigans (lying, cheating, stealing, etc.), I imagine that there will be a group of people who will take this position so that they can secure books they can then improve and re-sell for more money.  That being said, I think it's a legitimate inquiry and that as these methods become more and more common, we will see them disclosed as a matter of transparency on sales threads.  However, I can generally tell if a book has defects that will press out.  It's harder for me to tell if something is a color rub or can be dry cleaned form a photo than I assume it is for others.  I imagine the real pros and pressing/cleaning can look at photos and tell what has or can be done effectively to a book.   

I agree with you. The inquiry about pressing, in today's marketplace, is probably asked to secure books they can then improve and re-sell for more money. 

People are dumb.

Whether a book has been pressed or not has no bearing on whether it will upgrade or not. A pressed book can have defects introduced into the book than an unpressed book doesn't have.

And @Nico Esq those opposed to pressing used to be much more vocal. I'd say that there are less people opposed to pressing than there used to be. You should have seen it around here 10-12 years ago. People were almost ready to physically fight over the topic at one point.

36 minutes ago, JWKyle said:

On another pressing note I would love to hear a press release by CGC that any signs of a bad press will be factored in on the end grade and will be listed in on the grading notes. CGC has been doing this for a long time now and for sure can see a book that has been badly pressed and hammer it to the hills. 

Agreed.

2 hours ago, JWKyle said:

They did this a while back - even going so far as to describe the specific damage - pebbling, staple impact, spine pinching etc.

44 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

They did this a while back - even going so far as to describe the specific damage - pebbling, staple impact, spine pinching etc.

Why did they stop? Did it decrease submissions?

Edited by MR SigS

57 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

Why did they stop? Did it decrease submissions?

It was addressed in their monthly newsletter - a different pressing defect each month.  I was referring to the fact that the previous poster referenced a "press release."  Those weren't really "press releases," but pretty close. They are definitely factoring bad presses into the grading. I can't speak directly to whether they are regularly listing them in the grader's notes, but it stands to reason.

29 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

It was addressed in their monthly newsletter - a different pressing defect each month.  I was referring to the fact that the previous poster referenced a "press release."  Those weren't really "press releases," but pretty close. They are definitely factoring bad presses into the grading. I can't speak directly to whether they are regularly listing them in the grader's notes, but it stands to reason.

Sean, was that about the time that CGC acquired / affiliated themselves with CCS?  I kind of took that as a slight, "we know what we are doing and if we detect that you used anyone else we will hammer your book" type of thing.  

34 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Sean, was that about the time that CGC acquired / affiliated themselves with CCS?  I kind of took that as a slight, "we know what we are doing and if we detect that you used anyone else we will hammer your book" type of thing.  

LOL - yes. That was the consensus among a certain group of Boardies. :-)

12 hours ago, TwoPiece said:
12 hours ago, JWKyle said:

Agreed.

CGC downgraded for poor pressing before CCS was acquired.

Defects introduced into pressing (from books being too flat to other defects) have been listed in the grading notes for as long as I can remember. I remember talking to Haspel about it years ago.

But to be clear, the grading notes are not meant to be exhaustive and notate every defects. Most people don't realize that.

12 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Whether a book has been pressed or not has no bearing on whether it will upgrade or not. A pressed book can have defects introduced into the book than an unpressed book doesn't have.

I assume this was meant to be a generalization,  but I have to disagree with your core argument here. :foryou: The "upgrade" is the point of pressing...unless the owner presses purely for aesthetics and keeps the book raw. Of course there is no guarantee of an "upgrade", but pressing absolutely has bearing on the likelihood of the bump.

It's very true that pressing can introduce defects, but that's a very small minority when considering the total number of books pressed on the daily. Aside from my first submission before pressing was a thing (and 3 moderns I sent to another company), every one of my self-submitted books are CPR'd. In every case to date, the books came back higher than my assigned grade or the previously assigned CGC grades in the case of crack, press and re-sub books. My experiences may be an anomaly,  but it's a consistent one if it is.

I started rambling on this topic a bit... feel free to ignore.... PM the seller if you need to ask- seems reasonable before spending your money.

Spoiler

I get why people press books but I am not a fan. That has a lot to do with preferring raw versus slabbed. 

In the long run, I think many will see this as form of restoration with categories of amateur and professional.

The one thing I have wondered is if the timing of pressing matters -  is there a point of diminished returns as books age when it comes to the pressing process? Has pressing been in practice long enough to see if there are any unforeseen long term impact on books?

And to hear that so many people are trying to do this on their own is alarming-- almost as bad as when I found out there were many dealers/LCS guys using color touch to improve books in the 1960s and 1970s. I bet I have some books in my collection that have some color touch that I simply overlooked as a kid.

11 hours ago, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

every one of my self-submitted books are CPR'd. In every case to date, the books came back higher than my assigned grade or the previously assigned CGC grades in the case of crack, press and re-sub books. My experiences may be an anomaly,  but it's a consistent one if it is.

Did you eye ball your books for upgrade potential before you sent them in?

Or did you just send everything in blindly?