• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE PART 1 (2022)
3 3

358 posts in this topic

After Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse earned a heap of praise and an Academy Award, fans are eager to see where the animated franchise goes next. As producer Amy Pascal confirmed in a recent interview with io9, we might be a little bit closer to finding out, as a Spider-Verse sequel is currently being worked on.

“We are definitely hard at work on the sequel,” Pascal revealed. “You can expect another movie."

News of a sequel first came to light before Spider-Verse was originally released, with a second film centered around Miles Morales (Shameik Moore) put into development last November. Avatar: The Last Airbender and Voltron: Legendary Defender director Joaquim Dos Santos is expected to helm the project. A female-centric spinoff led by Spider-Gwen (Hailee Steinfeld) is also in the works, as well as potential television spinoffs.

"Look, we wanted to make a movie that felt like it was the tip of the iceberg," producer Phil Lord previously told ComicBook.com. "You could imagine all of these other things. So it's music to our ears that people could imagine a Spider-Noir film, and the Spider-Ham insane cartoon."

"Right. We still have the horse," Chris Miller echoed. "We've got to put the cart behind it. So we'll let it ride down the road a few blocks before we get too big for our britches."

While it's unclear exactly what Spider-Verse's sequel will follow, previous comments from Pascal hinted that Miles and Gwen's budding romance could play a role. There's also the nature of Spider-Man 2099 (Oscar Isaac) who was introduced in the film's post-credits scene and cracked open the multiverse much more.

"I think there's a bunch [of possible characters], and I don't want to say too much because there's a wide breadth of characters that are coming out of the Spider-Man universes now." Miller told ComicBook.com of other potential characters that could be introduced. "And it's really fun to be able to sort of think about plucking ones that you haven't seen before or have something interesting thematic to say."

"I have to think about that," producer and co-writer Phil Lord added. "That's a good question that we haven't been asked before, which is why we're sitting here going, 'We don't have a good [answer]. We are like, 'Oh, wow. We're about to go into this big junket. We might have to have an answer for that.'"

The original io9 interview with Amy Pascal had a little bit more details about the creative team behind this pending sequel.

In Case You Were Worried, a Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sequel Is Definitely in the Works

After the Oscar-winning success of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, there was little doubt a sequel would be coming. And not just a sequel—spinoffs and more, too. Speaking with io9 about Spider-Man: Far From Home on Wednesday, producer Amy Pascal gave us a small but encouraging update.

“We are definitely hard at work on the sequel,” Pascal said via phone from London. “You can expect another movie.”

Way back in November, news broke that Joaquim Dos Santos, who worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender and Voltron: Legendary Defender, would be directing a Spider-Verse sequel with David Callaham (The Expendables, Wonder Woman 1984) writing. We believe that’s still the case but, even if it’s not, things are progressing as we speak.

A few months later, we also got the news that the film’s producers, Phil Lord and Chris Miller, had signed on to make a bunch of new TV shows, including Spider-Verse shows, and Pascal said that’s progressing as well too.

“We are doing some television and all these things have to make sense together,” Pascal said. “I think we have some fantastic shows that we’re doing and we’re just putting them together now.”

So while we’re all just kind of getting through the summer months, know that somewhere out there, probably on the Sony lot in Culver City, California, people are working on new Spider-Verse content. And we cannot wait.

I finally got around to watching the first movie last night. It was excellent. I mean, no one wants to see Peter Parker dying. And I was hoping for more Miguel O'Hara than the end scene, which was very very funny though.

The whole family loved it and we were all very impressed with the quality of the animation.

USA Today article on the sequel news.

'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse' is officially getting a webby sequel

The inventive, animated Spider-Man remix "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" is getting a sequel.

Sony Pictures on Friday set a follow-up to the 2018 Oscar-winning hit for an April 2022 release. Producers Phil Lord and Christopher Miller also celebrated the announcement on Twitter and signaled that they, too, are returning.

"Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" grossed $375.5 million worldwide. Its deconstructionist approach to Spider-Man earned some of the best reviews of any recent superhero film, and won the Academy Award for best animated feature.

According to Sony, the first animated "Spider-Verse" earned an estimated $35.4 million against a $90 million production budget its opening weekend in Dec. 2018 – a record for animated movies during that month, although the hybrid "Alvin and the Chipmunks" movies were higher.

The film features an innovative animation style (both CGI and hand-drawn) and follows Miles Morales as he learns to become the famed web-slinger.

"Spider-Verse" was well-received among critics, and audiences in exit surveys gave it a rare A-plus on CinemaScore – a first for a Spider-Man film. It also took home the Oscar and Golden Globe for Best Animated Feature Film in 2019.

Yeah, I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed the first movie. I really wish they would go with more animated features all around - talking about all studios here - as it really hits at what comics do well at their own medium. The live action stuff is getting tired for me for the most part. By far the best Spider-man movie to date imho. If they can keep up this quality, I can't wait to see it.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2 enlists comic-book artist Kris Anka

Prolific comic-book artist Kris Anka has revealed his involvement with Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2. The sequel is set to release April 8, 2022.

Anka took to Twitter to post a not-so-cryptic teaser of his involvement on the project, with the caption reading: "I can finally talk about what I'm working on next." Attached is the same flashy gif Into the Spider-Verse co-producer Christopher Miller used to announce the project in November.

Anka's bibliography includes mostly Marvel comics, with his sole credit at DC being 2019's Young Justice #5. He's worked on Captain Marvel, X-Men, Wolverine, the 2014 Spider-Verse comic-book storyline. Anka is also well-known for his 2014 redesign of Spider-Woman, something that could be connected to his involvement with Into the Spider-Verse 2.

It isn't clear what role Anka will take in the new Spider-Man project, but we can assume it'll involve character design or art direction. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was praised for its abstract, psychedelic animated visuals and unique character designs.

Forget the cringeworthy Imagine sing-a-long, some celebrities are coming up with genuinely heartwarming ways to help people deal with the coronavirus crisis.

New Girl actor Jake Johnson, who voiced Peter B. Parker in the animated Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse movie, is offering families stuck at home a free voice message from the web-slinger to lift their kids’ spirits.

Johnson posted on his Instagram that, because he has received so many DMs from families who are watching the movie while cooped up in their houses, he is opening up his email inbox to requests for personalized voice notes. Demand is likely to be high, you’d think, and he did apologize in advance to anyone who doesn’t get a response.

The actor added the #stayhome hashtag to the post, which many are using to spread awareness of the necessity of staying in to prevent the virus spread.

Edited by Bosco685

Went to see it with my kids, had low expectations going in.

Was pleasantly surprised. Good story, solid animation and not cheesy.

Excellent movie overall and im not usually a fan of the animated genre.

Saw it again on Netflix to make sure I wasnt on one, and yep...its a good one.

8.5/10 (Only 10/10 movie for me is Empire Strikes when I went with my dad in 1980 at the Chinese Theatre)

Cant wait for part 2. :headbang:

And oh yeah my kids loved it. 

Last night there was a Sony Into The Spider-Verse quarantine watch party with the creators of the film.

Turns out they wanted to do a trio team-up of the Spider-Men. But does 'too soon' mean sometime in the future? :wishluck: