• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,936 posts in this topic

On 12/11/2022 at 8:33 PM, lou_fine said:

When compared to the Spectre More Fun's, some here would say the Cap 3 also underperformed, even though $90K is probably still a record price for this grade from Heritage's point of view.  (thumbsu

The consolation being that it means a yummy din din for somebody..................will you take that with salt & pepper and a bottle of ketchup:  lol

Actually I deleted that post days before the auction ended. But a deals a deal. I'll make hat jerky out of it. Wash it down with some ice cold Moosehead beer. 

On 12/11/2022 at 5:09 PM, lou_fine said:
On 11/25/2022 at 7:24 PM, szav said:

This mini DC/Spectre signature auction is off to a roaring start for a few of the books including this one up over 150k fairly early on.  Some pretty sweet books and OA in this auction.

image.thumb.png.194ae88d5d71a8e216f8bc481f8d763b.png

Expand  

On 11/26/2022 at 6:53 AM, D84 said:

My guess is 500k+

On 11/26/2022 at 6:56 PM, Dark Knight said:

A 3.0 is around a 100k, I believe it's the last unrestored copy that sold publicly. 

$500k+ for the 8.5 is certainly accurate unless something weird happens between now and the final minutes 😆 

With the result on the More Fun 52 today, does this mean that $264K is the new $500K or did something weird happened in the final few minutes of the auction?  :whatthe:  :(

Someone got a good deal in my opinion.  Bad timing to sell a book of this magnitude at auction.  Might have done better in a private sale.

On 12/3/2022 at 1:35 PM, Funnybooks said:
On 12/3/2022 at 1:30 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, how about this nice CGC 8.0 graded copy of Cap 3 then, since we've seen some mid-grades and restored copies, but nothing as high as this lately:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-america-comics-3-timely-1941-cgc-vf-80-off-white-pages/a/7343-92056.s

lf?set=path%5B2%2F7%2F1%2F2%2F8%2F27128422%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Any chance that this copy here might crack 6-figures considering that CC managed to fetched $80K for a CGC 7.5 graded CR/OW copy back in 2018 well before the pandemic and crypto craze hit the marketplace?  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Expand  

7.5 sold on Instagram for 140k+ recently

I wonder how that buyer for the 7.5 copy is feeling now after the 8.0 sold for $90k, exactly at the price it previously sold for back in 2018 :eek:.  Asking $140k for a 7.5 is a very strong price, great for the seller.  

On 12/11/2022 at 10:36 PM, Dark Knight said:

Someone got a good deal in my opinion.  Bad timing to sell a book of this magnitude at auction.  Might have done better in a private sale.

I thought it would higher too. 400'ish or more. Did seem off for a book of that magnitude to be on a kind of small Sunday daytime auction. The 3.0 last March for 95k was too much. Even more than the 9.2  Larson went for 12 years ago. 

On 12/11/2022 at 8:09 PM, lou_fine said:

With the result on the More Fun 52 today, does this mean that $264K is the new $500K or did something weird happened in the final few minutes of the auction?  :whatthe:  :(

I know if I was spending a quarter mil on a high grade 52, I would want the bottom to look like this top copy and not the second one...

mfboth.jpg

On 12/11/2022 at 5:56 PM, Professor K said:
On 12/11/2022 at 5:33 PM, lou_fine said:

The consolation being that it means a yummy din din for somebody..................will you take that with salt & pepper and a bottle of ketchup:  lol

Actually I deleted that post days before the auction ended. But a deals a deal. I'll make hat jerky out of it. Wash it down with some ice cold Moosehead beer. 

Didn't realize you had deleted that post a few days ago since I've been super busy and away from the boards for the past few days.  (thumbsu

So, if it's a pure chocolate coated covered hat, I am more than willing to help you with a portion of that hat there...........yum, yum!!  :bigsmile:

On 12/11/2022 at 12:09 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

In that case, hold my beer, @lou_fine, while I say it for you: prices were a bit subdued today. Cap 1 went for 3 times OPG, Cap 3 went for 4 times OPG, and Cap 46 2 times OPG. Caps 36 and 37 showed surprising strength at 8 times OPG

i feel good about getting this one around 3 x OPG

B9F8F854-F899-4638-ADAB-5CF80F268A1F.jpeg

Big congrats on your pickup of a nice classic Schomburg action packed WWII Cap cover.  :luhv:  :applause:

If you are comparing current marketplace prices relative to the OPG, there is now a clear divergence with virtually all of the hot GA books still continuing to sell at multiples to condition guide, while a good portion of the so-called red hot BA and CA books from last year that took a huge jump in the OPG now able to sell at only a discount to guide, and in some cases, only at a huge huge percentage discount to condition guide.  hm  :frown:

Being a long term GA collector, just hoping that this is not a portent or a sign of things to come in the GA marketplace, although it is starting to feel a bit like 1995/96 with some of the GA books.  (shrug)  :wishluck:

On 12/11/2022 at 10:42 PM, Dark Knight said:

I wonder how that buyer for the 7.5 copy is feeling now after the 8.0 sold for $90k, exactly at the price it previously sold for back in 2018 :eek:.  Asking $140k for a 7.5 is a very strong price, great for the seller.  

probably not too good right about now :pullhair:

On 12/11/2022 at 5:56 PM, Professor K said:

Better record yourself eating it and upload the video of it here as proof :nyah:

On 12/12/2022 at 9:04 AM, Funnybooks said:
On 12/11/2022 at 7:42 PM, Dark Knight said:

probably not too good right about now :pullhair:

I'm guessing that buyer didn't know there was an 8.0 copy up for auction OR he took a gamble and bought the 7.5 copy before the results of the 8.0 thinking it may go up to $200k 😬

On 12/12/2022 at 11:32 AM, ThothAmon said:
On 12/11/2022 at 10:26 PM, lou_fine said:

1995/96

I’m thinking more ‘49/‘50. What say you Marty?

What I was referring to was the GA portion being the final phase of the red hot comic book marketplace cycle in the early to mid-90's whereby the SA Marvels finally woke up from their almost decades long slumber in the late 80's to the highly speculative boom of the Wizard induced Valiant & Image new book marketplace in the early 90's prior to their implosion in '93.   :Rocket:

Being a collector from back in the day, I still remember the GA collectors sitting back outside and watching all of the euphoric action taking place inside before they finally got invited into the party back in '94 & '95 and having their own short, but explosive meteoric rise before the entire comic book marketplace settled back into its traditional doldrums for the rest of the decade after that.  zzz

This recent red hot back issue marketplace that we've been in is slightly different since the GA portion has been front and center throughout the whole thing and still seems to be pretty much on fire right now with all of the hot books still selling at multiples, if not big multiples to condition guide.  Unlike the pandemic driven meteoric rise of the red hot BA and CA movie hyped keys of 2021 and early 2022 with many of these readily available books now not surprisingly selling at huge double digit percentage discounts to condition guide. :(

Makes me wonder what this might mean for the GA marketplace going forward.  hm  (shrug)  :wishluck:

On 12/22/2022 at 11:30 AM, Gotham Kid said:

bidding has begun on the next featured auction...

Well, you best hurry and get your bids in on this book here, although it's sitting at a whole dollar which might just be past your max bid already:  lol

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/the-amazing-spider-man-667-dell-otto-variant-cover-marvel-2011-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7338-91025.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Modern Age (1980-Present):Superhero, The Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell'Otto Variant Cover (Marvel, 2011) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages.

On 12/22/2022 at 12:52 PM, Gotham Kid said:

max bid $10 :gossip:

can't wait to crack it open and read it in the can

Smart thinking and a good contingency plan for emergency situations like when the washroom runs out of toilet paper and you are desperately scrambling around in a panic looking for something to wipe your arse clean.  (thumbsu  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/23/2022 at 9:39 AM, lou_fine said:

Smart thinking and a good contingency plan for emergency situations like when the washroom runs out of toilet paper and you are desperately scrambling around in a panic looking for something to wipe your arse clean.  (thumbsu  lol

TMI