• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2022 at 7:24 PM, tth2 said:
On 12/22/2022 at 5:39 PM, lou_fine said:

Smart thinking and a good contingency plan for emergency situations like when the washroom runs out of toilet paper and you are desperately scrambling around in a panic looking for something to wipe your arse clean.  (thumbsu  lol

TMI

Does this mean that you've actually have prior experience being caught in this particular situation, especially while travelling in some countries where toilet paper is seen as a luxury item, and not a necessity? 💩  lol

On 12/23/2022 at 3:37 AM, buttock said:

Going monthly dilutes the pool, but you've got a HG Bat 1, pedigree Supe 1, and a heaping helping of OA.  That's pretty good for a monthly. 

also a Flash 1 5.0 and AF15 9.2

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 12/23/2022 at 2:15 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 12/23/2022 at 11:37 AM, buttock said:

Going monthly dilutes the pool, but you've got a HG Bat 1, pedigree Supe 1, and a heaping helping of OA.  That's pretty good for a monthly. 

also a Flash 1 5.0 and AF15 9.2

In summary, no high grade big books.

On 12/24/2022 at 12:18 AM, buttock said:
On 12/23/2022 at 11:27 PM, tth2 said:

In summary, no high grade big books.

True.  If you exclude the high grade big books like the AF 15 and Batman 1, there are no high grade big books. 

I went through the listings again and nowhere did I see a AF 15 or Batman 1 in 9.4 or better. (shrug)

I mean seriously, in over 20 years HA has offered one Batman 1 in 9.4 and 4 AF 15s in 9.4 or higher.  If NM mega keys are the metric by which auctions are measured then 98% of the auctions are going to be disappointing.  

One interesting book this go-round is the Four Color 16 (Mickey Mouse Outwits the Phantom Blot). It has me waxing nostalgic for the days when it was still considered an important book—before superhero books were the alpha and the omega of collecting, so to speak.

I hadn't looked at the census number for that book before. I never considered it a scarce book, but it appears to be fairly scarce in high grade despite being extremely common in lower grades. (I'm guessing there are some nice raw copies locked up in private collections because it's the type of book an old-timer might hold on to.)

Given I am a bottom feeder, this auction has a lot of stuff in my wheelhouse.  

Several pieces of artwork, Kirby Demon panel pages, Dinosaurs Attack painting, some of the GA sketches of SubMariner, maybe a Schultz daily or two

Archie 1, Human Torch 1, Rex the wonder Dog 1, etc.

On 12/24/2022 at 1:05 AM, buttock said:

I mean seriously, in over 20 years HA has offered one Batman 1 in 9.4 and 4 AF 15s in 9.4 or higher.  If NM mega keys are the metric by which auctions are measured then 98% of the auctions are going to be disappointing.  

Welcome to my world! :hi:

On 12/24/2022 at 5:16 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I hadn't looked at the census number for that book before. I never considered it a scarce book, but it appears to be fairly scarce in high grade despite being extremely common in lower grades. (I'm guessing there are some nice raw copies locked up in private collections because it's the type of book an old-timer might hold on to.)

It's very scarce to possibly non-existent in high grade.  The best certified copy is a single 9.2 copy, which I remember coming up on Heritage many years ago.

Edited by tth2

On 12/23/2022 at 10:36 PM, tth2 said:

It's very scarce to possibly non-existent in high grade.  The best certified copy is a single 9.2 copy, which I remember coming up on Heritage many years ago.

Is there a census on why it's so scarce in high grade? Was the cover stock defective? Is it because it was mostly purchased for younger kids? Was it the luck of the draw that it was absent from most of the pedigree collections? All of the above? Based on the total census numbers, I'd expect to see more than one copy above 9.0.

On 12/24/2022 at 12:23 PM, jimbo_7071 said:
On 12/24/2022 at 11:36 AM, tth2 said:

Is there a census on why it's so scarce in high grade? Was the cover stock defective? Is it because it was mostly purchased for younger kids? Was it the luck of the draw that it was absent from most of the pedigree collections? All of the above? Based on the total census numbers, I'd expect to see more than one copy above 9.0.

All of the early Four Colors are generally extremely scarce in 9.4 or above, with the rather odd exception of FC 9. Some of it might have to do with the lack of Church or other pedigree copies of many of these books. 

I don't know that their target audience being kids made that much difference, since at that time ALL comics were targeted at kids.

On 12/24/2022 at 8:48 AM, tth2 said:

I don't know that their target audience being kids made that much difference, since at that time ALL comics were targeted at kids.

That's true. I was thinking that titles like *spoon* Tracy, Smilin' Jack, and Gang Busters might appeal to older kids (9–11, let's say), whereas Mickey Mouse might appeal to younger kids (say 6–8) who would be rougher with their comics, but who knows for sure.

On 12/23/2022 at 7:33 PM, tth2 said:
On 12/23/2022 at 9:05 AM, buttock said:

mean seriously, in over 20 years HA has offered one Batman 1 in 9.4 and 4 AF 15s in 9.4 or higher.  If NM mega keys are the metric by which auctions are measured then 98% of the auctions are going to be disappointing.  

Welcome to my world! :hi:

Yikes.................I guess this battered down economy must be affecting even the upper crust, considering that even YOU are now "slumming" around in the lower rent 9.4 neighborhood, instead of your usual 9.6 penthouse digs on the upper side of town.  :(  lol