• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 10/21/2023 at 12:21 AM, skypinkblu said:

I can't seem to find a scan of mine, but I always thought Action 23 was the first Lois cover.

Here is someone else's and a nicer copy than mine

Action Comics 23 CGC 6.5 - Picture 1 of 2

Hey Mrs. S! How ya been?  I used to think that was Lois also but I'm pretty sure it's not her. I had to look it up but I think it's that little vixen Bea Carroll from Action 1 and Superman 1. She's not actually in AC 23 or 24. 

Opera Snapshot_2023-10-21_171051_readcomiconline.li.png

Edited by Professor K
picture added

Regarding that old debate over Tec 40, in my opinion it isn't technically a Joker cover. It was originally drawn as the Joker that's obvious but it was altered to be Clayface, therefore it is Clayface. The only kind of close example I can think of would be X-Men 33 1967. I'm only writing this because I've recently learned that things that are different are not the same. :wavingwhiteflag:

On 10/21/2023 at 5:18 PM, Professor K said:

Hey Mrs. S! How ya been?  I used to think that was Lois also but I'm pretty sure it's not her. I had to look it up but I think it's that little vixen Bea Carroll from Action 1 and Superman 1. She's not actually in AC 23 or 24. 

Well, the person you are showing me is a blonde...so I don't think so...but BlueChip showed an Action 24, that has the same medium brown reddish colored brunette as was on Action 23 (or close enough;) 

Action 27 at least has someone with black hair...

Now explain to me why the first Luthor is really in Superman 4 not 23;)  

My "opinion" is just that...I figured since Lois was modeled after Jerry Siegal's wife, Joanne, he was so madly in love with her, her picture was everywhere before he even knew who Superman's love was going to be;) and they ALL kind of look alike;)  

So happy to deal with 1st world problems and these wonderful old books...takes your mind off the stresses of real life:) :foryou:

Edited by skypinkblu

On 10/21/2023 at 9:46 PM, skypinkblu said:

Well, the person you are showing me is a blonde...so I don't think so...but BlueChip showed an Action 24, that has the same medium brown reddish colored brunette as was on Action 23 (or close enough;) 

Action 27 at least has someone with black hair...

Now explain to me why the first Luthor is really in Superman 4 not 23;)  

My "opinion" is just that...I figured since Lois was modeled after Jerry Siegal's wife, Joanne, he was so madly in love with her, her picture was everywhere before he even knew who Superman's love was going to be;) and they ALL kind of look alike;)  

So happy to deal with 1st world problems and these wonderful old books...takes your mind off the stresses of real life:) :foryou:

image.thumb.png.49985ce41e536e3a394868c076628e4d.png

On 10/26/2023 at 8:20 AM, tth2 said:

... and we're off! 

Just took a look at their Platinum Session and is it just me, or is both the quantity and quality of the books less than normal with only 12 comic book lots and 28 Platinum lots in total.  (shrug)

Not sure if it's going to be second time lucky with this recently graded CGC 9.6 copy of Richie Rich #1 after the last one sold for some $108K in their last Signature Auction back in June. :popcorn:

And are there no Promise Collection books coming up for resale in this upcoming Signature Auction which is probably a sign that the owners of these promise books are getting tired of being taken to the woodshed and getting a financial whupping applied to them.  :fear:

On 10/27/2023 at 5:37 AM, lou_fine said:
On 10/26/2023 at 11:20 PM, tth2 said:

... and we're off! 

Just took a look at their Platinum Session and is it just me, or is both the quantity and quality of the books less than normal with only 12 comic book lots and 28 Platinum lots in total.  (shrug)

Judging by the number of Garfield lots, it appears that Heritage had some problems getting enough consignments (volume-wise).  

On 10/26/2023 at 7:39 PM, tth2 said:

Judging by the number of Garfield lots, it appears that Heritage had some problems getting enough consignments (volume-wise).  

Maybe it's a sign of too many auctions in too short a period of time, coupled with what appears to be a slowing marketplace in general.  hm  (shrug)

On 10/27/2023 at 11:22 AM, lou_fine said:
On 10/27/2023 at 10:39 AM, tth2 said:

Maybe it's a sign of too many auctions in too short a period of time, coupled with what appears to be a slowing marketplace in general.  hm  (shrug)

Holding all of their various showcase auctions that are taking away books that would normally go into the Signature Auctions certainly doesn't help. 

On 10/27/2023 at 7:14 AM, tth2 said:

Holding all of their various showcase auctions that are taking away books that would normally go into the Signature Auctions certainly doesn't help. 

True only in part because a lot of the GA Showcase Auctions would feature books that would normally be placed into the Saturday portion of their Signature Auctions and not so much the Thursday portion and clearly not the Platinum portion.  (shrug)

On 10/26/2023 at 11:22 PM, lou_fine said:

When prices drop, so do quality offerings. There are always guys who have to sell, estate liquidations, etc., but most collectors are content to lock away their best stuff for years and years rather than letting it go cheap.

On 10/26/2023 at 2:37 PM, lou_fine said:

Not sure if it's going to be second time lucky with this recently graded CGC 9.6 copy of Richie Rich #1 after the last one sold for some $108K in their last Signature Auction back in June. :popcorn:

And are there no Promise Collection books coming up for resale in this upcoming Signature Auction which is probably a sign that the owners of these promise books are getting tired of being taken to the woodshed and getting a financial whupping applied to them.  :fear:

When I was at New York Comic Con, I spoke to a Heritage Auctions representative who confirmed my suspicion that most of the Promise Book consignments from the last two Signature Auctions came from a single individual.  That person took a huge bath and presumably has sold everything which could explain the absence of Promise books for this auction.  

On 10/27/2023 at 3:46 PM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

When I was at New York Comic Con, I spoke to a Heritage Auctions representative who confirmed my suspicion that most of the Promise Book consignments from the last two Signature Auctions came from a single individual.  That person took a huge bath and presumably has sold everything which could explain the absence of Promise books for this auction.  

Any idea if this was a long time comic book collector or a drive by newbie speculator to the comic book collectibles market who thought they could make a quick killing and fast getaway, only to get themself financially killed in the process?  :tonofbricks:  :tonofbricks:

On 10/27/2023 at 5:37 AM, lou_fine said:

There are at least two Promise books: 

Batman #37

Detective #146

On 10/28/2023 at 6:01 AM, tth2 said:

There are at least two Promise books: 

Batman #37

Detective #146

Yes, looks like I had to open my search up to "All Auctions" in order to see the Promise books and not to their November Signature Auction which came up with "No Results Found."  ???

Looks like a total of only 5 Promise Collection books in this go round here including your 2 Bat books you listed plus these 3 here:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/sun-girl-3-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1948-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7342-92069.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/captain-easy-10-the-promise-collection-pedigree-standard-1947-cgc-vf-85-white-pages/a/7342-94059.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/prize-comics-34-the-promise-collection-pedigree-prize-1943-cgc-vf-80-white-pages/a/7342-94148.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Anybody here willing to place a bet that the Batman #37 will surpass the $87K that it somehow managed to fetch on its first go round back in '21?  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine