• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,918 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2023 at 7:36 PM, lou_fine said:

Any idea if this was a long time comic book collector or a drive by newbie speculator to the comic book collectibles market who thought they could make a quick killing and fast getaway, only to get themself financially killed in the process?  :tonofbricks:  :tonofbricks:

I did not ask that question at NYCC but 2 years ago during the Promise Collection frenzy, I did ask this Heritage person whether the insane prices were being driven by traditional collectors or newbies with deep pockets.  He told me the latter.

On 11/1/2023 at 3:56 AM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

I did not ask that question at NYCC but 2 years ago during the Promise Collection frenzy, I did ask this Heritage person whether the insane prices were being driven by traditional collectors or newbies with deep pockets.  He told me the latter.

Still seems bizarre to me.  It'd be like if I suddenly got into collecting sports cards for investment purposes and my first big purchases were of obscure players rather than Hall of Famers.

On 11/1/2023 at 7:00 AM, tth2 said:

Still seems bizarre to me.  It'd be like if I suddenly got into collecting sports cards for investment purposes and my first big purchases were of obscure players rather than Hall of Famers.

I would not say the Promise books auctioned in the Heritage June and September  signature auctions were "obscure players".  Rather they were largely Superman (including Action Comics), Batman (including Detective Comics) and Wonder Woman.  To an astute and experienced  Golden Age collector, they may not be "Hall of Famers" but to a novice collector, it is all he/she knows.

On 11/2/2023 at 10:53 PM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

Rather they were largely Superman (including Action Comics), Batman (including Detective Comics) and Wonder Woman.  

Yes, but mostly mid-run, non-keys.  Weird places for newbies to put their money, particularly if they're going to overpay.

To use the sports card analogy again, it'd be like me, knowing only enough about sports cards to know that rookie cards command the big money and attention, deciding to spend aggressively on a Mickey Mantle card from the middle of his career.

On 11/2/2023 at 7:44 PM, tth2 said:

Yes, but mostly mid-run, non-keys.  Weird places for newbies to put their money, particularly if they're going to overpay.

Probably becasue all of the keys and early issues are still locked away in long held private collections and even the easy crazy crypto money that these newbies were throwing around still wasn't enticing enough to draw them out into the marketplace.  hm  (shrug)

On 11/2/2023 at 9:44 PM, tth2 said:

To use the sports card analogy again, it'd be like me, knowing only enough about sports cards to know that rookie cards command the big money and attention, deciding to spend aggressively on a Mickey Mantle card from the middle of his career.

I perceive aggressive Promise Collection spending and subsequent losses without benefit of lubrication as a perfect storm of misguided judgment.  Yes, newbies dropping lots of bitcoin capitol into the market without analyzing anything besides top grade status and well publicized pedigree story is an ideal set-up for a rube fiasco, but there's never been a pedigree marketing strategy as efficiently spun as the one for these books.  That isn't a criticism of any aspect of it, but the end result contributes to anxiety in the marketplace when there's as precipitous a drop in values as incurred by many examples from this collection.

My two cents and change, not adjusted for inflation.

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

On 11/6/2023 at 6:32 PM, szav said:

@lou_fine look what came in the mail today!  I knew you'd be excited....but seriously is this good for the hobby? because I'd guess for this to land on the cover of the catalogue either means its just a complete joke or someone actually paid HA to do it?....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/rob-liefeld-captain-america-heroes-reborn-promotional-illustration-original-art-c-1996-/a/7342-93069.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

image.thumb.png.56f2e25ddb83982b208e32a70a3ea3fe.png

It's good exposure for Cap. He is just throbbing with pride there!

@lou_fine look what came in the mail today!  I knew you'd be excited....but seriously is this good for the hobby? because I'd guess for this to land on the cover of the catalogue either means its just a complete joke or someone actually paid HA to do it?....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/rob-liefeld-captain-america-heroes-reborn-promotional-illustration-original-art-c-1996-/a/7342-93069.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

It is notorious for being really bad. Cited in many a joke/meme.

It's kind of classic in that regard ironically. 

On 11/7/2023 at 7:32 AM, szav said:

Currently at $18k (including BP) with 10 days to go.

Was this art from the issue where Cap takes some medication and develops a severe case of gynomastia as a side effect?

On 11/6/2023 at 3:32 PM, szav said:

I think it speaks much more to the quality or lack thereof with respect to their offfering for this particular Signature Auction in comparison to the much higher quality offerings which they had in their previous auctions during the past few years.  :p

On 11/9/2023 at 3:56 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Rob's family and friends should stop bidding on the art. There can be no other explanation why there are any bids at all.

Either that or someone desperately wants to win it to burn it from existence.

Rob may want to buy it back himself. I inderstand he's getting pretty good tips in his current role as valet at the local bowling alley; maybe he's saved up enough to be able to afford it.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 11/9/2023 at 3:56 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Rob's family and friends should stop bidding on the art. There can be no other explanation why there are any bids at all.

That's more likely than most people realize...