• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,943 posts in this topic

On 12/4/2023 at 12:22 AM, batman_fan said:
On 12/3/2023 at 10:45 AM, tth2 said:

I'm pretty sure they've offered 9.6 copies before.

But I never thought I'd see the Curator ASM 1, as I figured it was locked up in a collection forever.

I think that was an Amazing Fantasy 15

You're right, I've always had it in my head that the 9.8 ASM 1 long owned by Brulato was a Curator, but now I remembered that that copy was a non-pedigree.  

On 12/4/2023 at 4:43 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 12/3/2023 at 10:45 AM, tth2 said:

I'm pretty sure they've offered 9.6 copies before.

yes they have, never a 9.8

image.thumb.png.2edbb927b8fe18fb841f6f5b63b9ef54.png

image.thumb.png.1170a9201183aee05cd028ff339025f7.png

Edited 6 hours ago by Gotham Kid

Thanks, and now we see that the Curator 9.8 ASM 1 in this auction is an upgrade of the Curator 9.6 ASM 1, just like the 9.6 B&B 28 is an upgrade of my old 9.4 B&B 28.

On 12/5/2023 at 1:53 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Top sales of top books brings great publicity and press? Plus I sure they have a good handle on their whales who would chase a book like this. Could be extremely lucrative for Heritage. 

Show me an auction house that starts getting into owning the inventory and I'll show you an auction house that's going to be going out of business.

On 12/5/2023 at 6:34 AM, tth2 said:

Show me an auction house that starts getting into owning the inventory and I'll show you an auction house that's going to be going out of business.

Doesn’t Goldin do this on some of there big items?

On 12/5/2023 at 9:34 AM, tth2 said:

Heritage has been doing it for a couple decades.

On 12/5/2023 at 1:22 PM, adamstrange said:

Heritage has been doing it for a couple decades.

On 12/5/2023 at 1:29 PM, EastEnd1 said:

Yes, they've been bidders at numerous auctions I've attended.

Hey there fellas. I've heard tell of this here on the board a few times. And something about a pallet of Contact 12's once but I'm pretty sure that was a joke. 

Just curious, if you know, but do they bid on all kinds of books or just really high end costly type books? I mean I guess any company has the right to try to obtain anything they wan't from anywhere except from their own auctions of course. That would be like a Pete Rose type issue I would think. 

On 12/5/2023 at 2:09 PM, Professor K said:

Hey there fellas. I've heard tell of this here on the board a few times. And something about a pallet of Contact 12's once but I'm pretty sure that was a joke. 

Just curious, if you know, but do they bid on all kinds of books or just really high end costly type books? I mean I guess any company has the right to try to obtain anything they wan't from anywhere except from their own auctions of course. That would be like a Pete Rose type issue I would think. 

From what I've seen it's been the higher value material you don't see as often.  Golden age... higher grade silver keys. etc.  It's been a while but I've seen Steve Fishler at auctions too buying silver keys.  If the material is strong, I'm pretty sure those guys are often on the phone bidding even if you don't see them in person.  I've also gotten solicitations from the big auction houses to buy my books outright too.  

Heritage, especially in their coin business, has acted as a dealer and wholesaler of coins in addition to being an auction house. 

They also will occasionally purchase material specifically to place in their auctions.

On 12/2/2023 at 7:19 PM, Kryptic1 said:

Yes, it sold for $2.6M at Comicconnect in Dec ‘21.  The All Star 8 sold for $1.6M at Heritage in June ‘22.

I thought a Superman #1 CGC 7.0 sold at Goldin a few months back?  What made that sale remarkable was that the same copy sold also at Goldin previously for about $2.5M.  Anyone know if this is the Goldin copy?

On 12/4/2023 at 10:03 AM, tth2 said:

You're right, I've always had it in my head that the 9.8 ASM 1 long owned by Brulato was a Curator, but now I remembered that that copy was a non-pedigree.  

Hey there. Pretty sure someone here created this. Not sure when it was last updated. Fantucchio's in there and that was 2016/7 I believe.

https://itsalljustcomics.com/existence-and-grades-of-silver-age-key-books-from-the-major-pedigree-collections/

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

On 12/7/2023 at 6:45 PM, szav said:

Good stuff....thinking this article must be a decade or more old, that or Tom hasn't been paying much attention lately...

"Fantastic Four did lead him to what might be considered a "one that got away" story.  "I own a 9.4 copy of Fantastic Four #1, but I passed on a copy that is the only known certified 9.6," Brulato admitted. "I could have bought it for $25,000, and it's probably worth seven times that now.""

Poor guy.

The article fails to mention his parents died at a young age and he inherited big.