• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2023 at 6:06 PM, comicnoir said:

The article fails to mention his parents died at a young age and he inherited big. 

It also fails to mention he took that big inheritance (a business) and smartly increased it's value exponentially.

On 12/7/2023 at 8:48 PM, MrBedrock said:

It also fails to mention he took that big inheritance (a business) and smartly increased it's value exponentially.

Sorry to sound like someone living in a cave;) but I've never paid enough attention to stories of people with huge wonderful collections...although I like reading them when I see the backgrounds posted.  I've heard this name a zillion times, but when I google I get about 20 Thomas Brulatos.

What kind of business did he inherit?

On 12/8/2023 at 7:45 AM, szav said:

"Fantastic Four did lead him to what might be considered a "one that got away" story.  "I own a 9.4 copy of Fantastic Four #1, but I passed on a copy that is the only known certified 9.6," Brulato admitted. "I could have bought it for $25,000, and it's probably worth seven times that now.""

He ended up buying it from Schmell.

On 12/8/2023 at 9:13 AM, skypinkblu said:

Sorry to sound like someone living in a cave;) but I've never paid enough attention to stories of people with huge wonderful collections...although I like reading them when I see the backgrounds posted.  I've heard this name a zillion times, but when I google I get about 20 Thomas Brulatos.

Look the guy was born on 3rd base and hit a home run.

On 12/8/2023 at 11:55 AM, comicnoir said:
On 12/8/2023 at 8:13 AM, skypinkblu said:

When you put it that way it sounds like you are dismissing all of his accomplishments, as if he had no foresight and everything was given to him.

On 12/8/2023 at 1:55 PM, MrBedrock said:

When you put it that way it sounds like you are dismissing all of his accomplishments, as if he had no foresight and everything was given to him.

Maybe. We all have foresight here, just not the opportunity.

On 12/8/2023 at 12:55 PM, comicnoir said:

The quote is more like;  guy was born on third base and thought he hit a triple!  But I’m sure he acknowledges his good fortune in life and understands how fortunate he was?

On 12/8/2023 at 7:17 PM, batman_fan said:

Plenty of people inherited a business, money, etc and lost it all. If he inherited something and was able to keep it going and expand it kudos to him.

But apparently since he inherited something then his comic collection is all tainted.

On 12/7/2023 at 8:48 PM, MrBedrock said:

If I recall, the business is in a highly competitive field as well. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 12/8/2023 at 8:30 PM, MrBedrock said:

But apparently since he inherited something then his comic collection is all tainted.

Not just inherited but grew it!  That's what they do!  Have you not heard that the 1% are making everyone else poorer?  That collection has the blood of a thousand peasants on it.  

On 12/9/2023 at 10:30 AM, MrBedrock said:
On 12/9/2023 at 9:17 AM, batman_fan said:

Plenty of people inherited a business, money, etc and lost it all. If he inherited something and was able to keep it going and expand it kudos to him.

Man, there are some seriously bitter people on these Boards! 

Edited by tth2

On 11/17/2023 at 4:57 AM, DanCooper said:

I guess these cross the $1 million LOSS threshold for the Promise Collection resales.

Don't know if MasterChief's Promise tracking has been updated recently, but this was the list from September:

image.thumb.png.13d301fa64a7033cd65aa122a84ea4a7.png

Anyone notice the prices realized from the recent Heritage auction of the Joker Collection of Robert Ben Garant?  It had 4 Promise books including Detective Comics #124 and #149 which originally sold for $120,000 and $102,000 respectively in June 2021.  However, on Thursday these books sold for $40,800 and $26,400 respectively.  That is a $ loss of $154,800.  Neither of these books are keys.  I am not aware of other six figure Promise books that realized such % losses.  Not a great day for Mr. Garant and a demonstration of the risk in having a dedicated auction in one's name.

On 12/9/2023 at 8:39 AM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

Anyone notice the prices realized from the recent Heritage auction of the Joker Collection of Robert Ben Garant?  It had 4 Promise books including Detective Comics #124 and #149 which originally sold for $120,000 and $102,000 respectively in June 2021.  However, on Thursday these books sold for $40,800 and $26,400 respectively.  That is a $ loss of $154,800.  Neither of these books are keys.  I am not aware of other six figure Promise books that realized such % losses.  Not a great day for Mr. Garant and a demonstration of the risk in having a dedicated auction in one's name.

I’d guess you are right but on the bright side it will certainly help to keep the capital gains down overall. I have no immediate plans to sell the few Archie and other promise books purchased from HA but I never expected to make money knowing the crazy prices I’d need to pay to get them. 

On 12/9/2023 at 9:54 AM, Robot Man said:

I don’t know Brulato...

And neither do most of the folks who are commenting about him. Is he the nicest guy? - no. Is he a total a-hole? - no. For the purposes of these boards he is the guy with the nicest collection of silver age Marvels in the world. Period. End of story. His personal life shouldn't be part of the conversation here unless he wants it to be.