• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,225 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2024 at 4:27 PM, Professor K said:

You're right it's all over the place that one. 

Seven Seas 4 , yeah that went big today. Congrats (thumbsu. Personally I like #6 much more but I bet you have a beauty of that one also. 

Nope, sold my 6.0 copy about 10 years ago. Back then I mostly wanted GGA books in 7.0 condition or better. Definitely a dumb decision looking back. If the front cover presents well, 5.0 is perfectly fine.

On 9/12/2024 at 4:27 PM, Professor K said:

You're right it's all over the place that one. 

Seven Seas 4 , yeah that went big today. Congrats (thumbsu. Personally I like #6 much more but I bet you have a beauty of that one also. 

Phantom Lady #17 is interesting as well. I think $42k for a 6.0 makes sense, since a couple of 7.0's have sold in the $55k to $60k range. It was interesting that a 5.5 copy sold for around $55k not too long ago though.

With that being said, I have absolutely no clue what the 7.5 to 9.0 copies will go for today. The person who bought the 9.4 copy for $121k 5 years ago, got a steal IMO. Even back then I was predicting the book would sell for around $165k.

On 9/12/2024 at 4:09 PM, buttock said:

Makes no sense. 

On 9/12/2024 at 4:15 PM, vheflin said:

That's gotta be shenanigans, I can't think of any other explanation.

Not GA, but a Batman #251 9.8 went for about $11K last Dec. on Clink. Then, this summer a similar copy went for $38K on Clink as well, but it wasn't much different than the $11K copy. 

Today a Mass copy went for $28K on Heritage.

Why? Who knows.

I don't think there's any shenanigans. It's just a matter of who's bidding at any given point in time.

On 9/12/2024 at 7:22 PM, VintageComics said:

Not GA, but a Batman #251 9.8 went for about $11K last Dec. on Clink. Then, this summer a similar copy went for $38K on Clink as well, but it wasn't much different than the $11K copy. 

Why? Who knows.

I don't think there's any shenanigans. It's just a matter of who's bidding at any given point in time.

It's some terrible impatience then.  I might understand a 200%-300% jump if you had to wait years for another opportunity but this is only months between copies.

Sure would be nice if we could see how many bidders are responsible for these big run-ups.

On 9/12/2024 at 6:22 PM, VintageComics said:

Why? Who knows.

I agree. Sometimes you need 2 to tango. If that second bidder isn't there the winning bidder could get the book for a song 

On 9/12/2024 at 5:54 PM, newshane said:

I lost my :censored: on my Planet 48. Someone out there got a hell of a deal. 

I think I may actually quit the hobby over it. 

Ugh... so sorry. FWIW, I hope you stick around.

On 9/12/2024 at 5:59 PM, skybolt said:

Nope, sold my 6.0 copy about 10 years ago. Back then I mostly wanted GGA books in 7.0 condition or better. Definitely a dumb decision looking back. If the front cover presents well, 5.0 is perfectly fine.

Oh bummer. And you're right about the grade. That's the problem with 3rd party, they are grading the overall book but some people including myself and I think most of us here care mainly about the appearance than the grade. Not really a "problem" but you know what I mean. 

Yep PL 17, another great example of an inconsistent book. Not as much so as Startling 49 which is the king of unpredictability.  but it is volatile fer sure. 

Edited by Professor K
words added

On 9/12/2024 at 5:54 PM, newshane said:

I lost my :censored: on my Planet 48. Someone out there got a hell of a deal. 

I think I may actually quit the hobby over it. 

I think the second part is subtle humor but take it from the king of buy high, sell low. It's only few few thousand bucks loss I assume, that's nothing these days. well almost nothing. 

On 9/13/2024 at 11:28 AM, Robot Man said:

The ship has now sailed on a lot of books I chickened out on when the opportunity presented itself…

I know the feeling. I remember passing on a nice Cap 1 in 8.0 that went for $40K back around 2000. (It might have been on eBay or in a Greg Manning Auction, but I'm not sure at this point.)

On 9/13/2024 at 11:28 AM, Robot Man said:

I have to say that over the years, I have overpaid on many at the time of purchase. But I’m a keeper and I laugh at what I paid now.

Now days, I just pay what I’m comfortable with not worrying about current pricing. I seriously doubt I will be sorry about what I bought but probably will be sorry if I don’t buy when I have the chance. The ship has now sailed on a lot of books I chickened out on when the opportunity presented itself…

I couldn't agree more with your philosophy.  To get those highly desirable books, you often have to overpay a bit.  But if you're a keeper, it always seems to work out (or at least it has for me).  The one that I still can't get out of my head though was a 9.6 Black Cat Mystery #50 that I could have had for $7500 in the mid-2000s that I let "get away" as being too expensive.   Talk about a ship that's sailed! :facepalm: