• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHY IS DITKO SUCH A FRICKIN FREAK ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ?

69 posts in this topic

What would an 80 year-old recluse need with a million bucks? Unless you've got family that you'd like to pass it on to, money means little at that age. I'm a physician, and have lots of patients at that age or older. And, believe, me, acquiring more money is probably the least important thing to them.

apparently no one told Stan Lee .....he went after Marvel like he was going to bring it to the grave. Sure he's got family, but it sounded more like a personal vendetta than anything.

And to echo what was said, I can't understand the allure of Ditko 's work. sure it's historical , but the art is simple, there is little consistency in the anatomy and style. His Spider-man (which is his most famous work) isn't anywhere in the league of Romita or Kane that took over after him.....

I find that there are "classic" renditions of certain heroes done by certian artists that remain timeless and Ditko's Spider-man isn't one of them.

Romita's Spider-man, Adams' Batman, Wrightson's Swamp Thing, Kirby's Thor and Layton's Iron Man all come to mind.

Geez, I go on vacation for 2 weeks and all kinds a stuff happens, including getting an original art forum! Woo hoo!

Hey Kat, Ditko is not a "frickin freak". Anybody who knows Ditko knows of his objectivist philosophies and his belief in such philosophies as expounded by Ayn Rand in her writings.

If you don't know what these things mean, do a Google search on Ayn Rand, read a few web sites about objectivism, read The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, and then get off Ditko's back. RedHook summed it up nicely when he talked about how Ditko has not whored himself out to everyone. He has always said he lets his work speak for itself. He is not a believer in self-promotion and has remained such for 40+ years. He is a no BS guy who tells it exactly as he sees it. His blunt nature is so misunderstood.

Remember Kat, it is the ignorant who criticize and mock that which they do not understand. Enlighten yourself and separate yourself from the ignorance of the masses. Or remain an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. It's your choice.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Geez, I go on vacation for 2 weeks and all kinds a stuff happens, including getting an original art forum! Woo hoo!

Hey Kat, Ditko is not a "frickin freak". Anybody who knows Ditko knows of his objectivist philosophies and his belief in such philosophies as expounded by Ayn Rand in her writings.

If you don't know what these things mean, do a Google search on Ayn Rand, read a few web sites about objectivism, read The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, and then get off Ditko's back. RedHook summed it up nicely when he talked about how Ditko has not whored himself out to everyone. He has always said he lets his work speak for itself. He is not a believer in self-promotion and has remained such for 40+ years. He is a no BS guy who tells it exactly as he sees it. His blunt nature is so misunderstood.

Remember Kat, it is the ignorant who criticize and mock that which they do not understand. Enlighten yourself and separate yourself from the ignorance of the masses. Or remain an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. It's your choice.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes,..yes. John Galt. Reason triumphs. I get it.

This still doesnt explain why Ditko is not a cool KAT. He is a freak. Sorry :L (

PS - I am an objective/ capitalist myself. I dont see how that explain Ditko's freakish behaviour.

Hi Mike,

I said recluse smile.gif Stan isn't a recluse by any stretch. And, from what I can tell, his only superpower is an enormous and all-powerful ego, able to leap over all other creators and artists in a single bound!

I find that there are "classic" renditions of certain heroes done by certian artists that remain timeless and Ditko's Spider-man isn't one of them.

Romita's Spider-man, Adams' Batman, Wrightson's Swamp Thing, Kirby's Thor and Layton's Iron Man all come to mind.

sumo.gifforeheadslap.gif

You have to be kidding. Ditko defined Spider-Man. John Romita is one of the best artists period, but it took him a few issues to "get the hang" of drawing Spidey. And even though I am a big Romita fan, I always thought he didn't draw the characters quirky enough. It was a departure from what had been the original spider-man: geeky Peter. The Romita Peter Parker looks like he could be a male model. The Ditko Peter looks like the geek he is supposed to be.

In any case, the beauty of art is in the eye of the beholder. Lots of people don't appreciate Ditko's art. I happen to be someone who does appreciate it and I find your generalization off-base. Just because you like the Romita spidey better doesn't mean Ditko's spidey isn't the "classic rendition". In my eyes Ditko's spidey is the Classic spidey.

To me, Ditko's Spider-Man is THE Spider-Man, like Bob Layton's Iron Man is THE Iron Man.

Of course, I think Romita did amazing work with Spidey, but I think Ditko wins this one. I was going through my Amazing Spider-Man CDs yesterday, reading older issues. Maybe Ditko's rendition was a bit more... cartoony although I'm not sure that's the best word, than Romita's, but I still think Ditko is #1 smile.gif

In my opinion,Ditko's Spidey is best.It makes me wonder how different Spidey would look today,and how popular he would be,if someone besides Ditko had drawn him first.His full page fight scenes rocked,there was alot of magic in those first 3 years of ASM.His Dr.Strange is also the best,and he also created Iron Mans red and gold costume..........he wants his work to speak for himself,and to me,it speaks volumes..........

In my opinion,Ditko's Spidey is best.It makes me wonder how different Spidey would look today,and how popular he would be,if someone besides Ditko had drawn him first.His full page fight scenes rocked,there was alot of magic in those first 3 years of ASM.His Dr.Strange is also the best,and he also created Iron Mans red and gold costume..........he wants his work to speak for himself,and to me,it speaks volumes..........

Ah, another voice of reason. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

You guys know what's sad though?

I've actually met a few people for which McFarlane's Spider-Man is the real Spider-Man, and that have trashed some of the older artists because the drawings looked crappy and simplistic, from their own words.

Different generations will have different ideas of what is a classic rendition. Of course, the one they grew up with will become their classic initially, as they didn't know any other version! The open-minded among us will look over the variety of artists that have worked on a given character and decipher for ourselves who was able to truly define the character best. For me, that person was John Romita, Sr. I grew up reading Spidey when he was drawn in the early to mid-80s, so I knew nothing of the Romita version until decades later, when I went back and read the older issues. I enjoy Ditko's take on Spidey, but I feel the perfect rendition came years later when Romita was in his peak on the title. That's the Spidey I enjoy most, and to me is the most classic.

What would an 80 year-old recluse need with a million bucks? Unless you've got family that you'd like to pass it on to, money means little at that age. I'm a physician, and have lots of patients at that age or older. And, believe, me, acquiring more money is probably the least important thing to them.

apparently no one told Stan Lee .....he went after Marvel like he was going to bring it to the grave. Sure he's got family, but it sounded more like a personal vendetta than anything.

wow. that comment shows no understanding or knowledge of what was behind that lawsuit or Stan's financial involvements with Marvels over the last 60 years. Making long story short, Stan had a contract giving him 10% of Marvels profits from the movies. Marvel (Ike/Avi) stalled and wouldnt pay. Stan sued. Stan was winning and they settled.

STan just demanded what was owed to him. He has been in Hollywwod since the 70s seeding the ground for Marvel movies. And they are finally bearing fruit. Marvels needed Stan enough to sign his contract and keep in in the fold. Dont you think Stan was within his rights to force them to honor it?

All the rest of the Stan vs Jack and the otherts is another discussion where we probably agree. But in this lawsuit, Stan wasnt eagerly fanning his ego.... just playing the game according to the rules.

Hey BlackHeartedTroll,

Why don't you go and make a post of value in the Original Comic Art section?

The only time you post over here is to ride KK's jock, and that is pretty pathetic.

Almost as pathetic as the amount of time you have taken to research all of KK's id's, which you will find Mr. Dicktective that I have NO similarities in spelling, mannerisms, and the such.

Wow, where is the "insert music link"??

"To Much Time On My Hands" - By Styx, for you.

Seriously lame dude, seriously lame.

Poster like you who contribute nothing make KK look like the fountain of information.

SO KK IF YOU ARE OUT THERE, and I know you have to be, come back and do the BlackHeartedTroll good!

Ditko produced an underground back in the 70's called Avenging World which is very different from his mainstream work.It gives a lot of insight into his philosophical beliefs(quite bizarre visuals).I would recommend it to any Ditko fan who hasn't seen it yet.I always loved his work on ASM ,it always caught me off guard.I never seemed to be able to compare him to other artists because his work was so original.It does seem possible that his style may have been influenced by Kubert a bit.For whatever it's worth,I also have a friend who has a Ditko rejection letter.Reading Avenging World helped me understand his wish for privacy.It's not too hard to locate,and if I still had my copy,I'd try to post a few scans.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif