• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mall Variants of Adventures of Superman 443 - was there ever a DC issue with more variants prior to New 52?
6 6

135 posts in this topic

I'm not sure I've gotten a response to the original question of this thread.   Was there ever a DC comic book prior to the New 52 that had more variants than Adventures of Superman 443?  For Adv of SM 443, we now have 20 variants if we count the 18 mall variants, plus the newsstand and CPV versions.  The only ones that seem to come close in my mind are as follows:

Batman 251 (there's the Mark Jeweler variant plus at least 13 of those city variants that were recently produced)

Batman 608 (one newsstand version plus 11 variants to include the super-expensive RRP and Burbank variants)

Batman 414 (2nd thru 7th printings, newsstand, and CPV for a total of 8 variants)

Superman 75 (fifteen variants by my count - 2nd thru 4th printings, newsstand versions of all those printings, stickered newsstand versions of some of those printings, Millennium and Millenium newsstand versions, deluxe in poly bag, platinum in poly bag, and a couple variants that were recently produced) 

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 1/21/2024 at 8:06 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

I'm not sure I've gotten a response to the original question of this thread.   Was there ever a DC comic book prior to the New 52 that had more variants than Adventures of Superman 443?

I think you have two major contenders here if you go outside of the core, mainstream DC titles.  Batman Adventures 12 and Batman: Killing Joke.

Batman:  Killing Joke

If you count one-shots / prestige editions, Batman:  Killing Joke has a ton of printings, each with different cover variations.  @aszumilo put together a really nice compilation of covers and info last year here on the boards.

The GCD also lists some info at the following link:
https://www.comics.org/issue/43808/

I'm convinced that this book has other slight variations (newsstands, stickered copies, promos, etc) that just aren't documented.  Also, this is a comic that will continue to get printed

Batman Adventures #12

Undoubtedly, Batman Adventures #12 is the "winner" though... Fan Expo alone released a blind bag with 12 variants.  I don't know if that this for this upcoming year, or if those were the blind bags from two years ago.
https://fanexpohq.com/dallasfanfestival/premium-vip-perks-batman-blind-bag/

That is on top of the other Fan Expo versions of this book that have been released over the years.  MCS has a bunch listed, but I don't feel it's fully comprehensive.
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=58042879

Let's not forget the variants from other conventions like NYCC and Megacon (and possibly C2E2), which may come in both virgin and trade dress.

I think there are also a couple foil versions floating around and possibly some store variants.

It's worth noting that the indicia on some of these books states that these are later printings.  I've seen CGC denoted that in the past.  For instance, the Jonboy Meyers variant of this book is listed in the indicia and on the CGC label as "Fourth printing".

I fully expect this book to kill millions of additional trees going forward.  If people keep buying them, variants will continue to get pumped out year after year.

On 1/21/2024 at 9:06 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

Superman 75 (fifteen variants by my count - 2nd thru 4th printings, newsstand versions of all those printings, stickered newsstand versions of some of those printings, Millennium and Millenium newsstand versions, deluxe in poly bag, platinum in poly bag, and a couple variants that were recently produced) 

comicspriceguide.com shows 17 variants for this one, but that includes only a single foil cover. A quick glance at eBay suggests to me that there are at least 6 foil variants (red, blue, silver, pink, black, Breeding 1:25, etc.), putting the current total for this book around 22.

On 1/21/2024 at 11:29 AM, masterlogan2000 said:

I think you have two major contenders here if you go outside of the core, mainstream DC titles.  Batman Adventures 12 and Batman: Killing Joke.

If you count one-shots / prestige editions, Batman:  Killing Joke has a ton of printings, each with different cover variations.

I'm convinced that this book has other slight variations (newsstands, stickered copies, promos, etc) that just aren't documented.  Also, this is a comic that will continue to get printed

Batman Adventures #12

Undoubtedly, Batman Adventures #12 is the "winner" though... Fan Expo alone released a blind bag with 12 variants.  I don't know if that this for this upcoming year, or if those were the blind bags from two years ago.

That is on top of the other Fan Expo versions of this book that have been released over the years.  MCS has a bunch listed, but I don't feel it's fully comprehensive.

On 1/21/2024 at 11:44 AM, Brock said:

comicspriceguide.com shows 17 variants for this one, but that includes only a single foil cover. A quick glance at eBay suggests to me that there are at least 6 foil variants (red, blue, silver, pink, black, Breeding 1:25, etc.), putting the current total for this book around 22.

If I split hairs, though, your question was actually "Was there ever a DC comic book prior to the New 52 that had more variants than Adventures of Superman 443?" Many of the variants that expand these three lists come AFTER the New 52.

By that standard, Killing Joke probably still comes ahead, with 20 variations on the list that @masterlogan2000 shared, plus possibly a stickered variant or two. Of course, we still don't know for sure how many mall variants there are.

On 1/21/2024 at 10:44 AM, Brock said:

Don’t forget the Dollar Comic :bigsmile:

Spoiler

IMG_3815.jpeg.cc6cdf4f4c70f6d1d76c80c98f48521e.jpeg

But aren’t these reprints, rather than true variants?

Edited by Iconic1s

On 1/21/2024 at 8:29 AM, masterlogan2000 said:

GCD is off on some of their info on The Killing Joke.  Notably the cover prices on the different editions.

Here are the correct  prices

image.png.6007643e49a328113f0ba14c79d71cfa.png

On 1/21/2024 at 11:29 AM, masterlogan2000 said:

If you count one-shots / prestige editions, Batman:  Killing Joke has a ton of printings, each with different cover variations.  @aszumilo put together a really nice compilation of covers and info last year here on the boards.

Batman Adventures #12

Let's not forget the variants from other conventions like NYCC and Megacon (and possibly C2E2), which may come in both virgin and trade dress.

I think there are also a couple foil versions floating around and possibly some store variants.

It's worth noting that the indicia on some of these books states that these are later printings.  I've seen CGC denoted that in the past.  For instance, the Jonboy Meyers variant of this book is listed in the indicia and on the CGC label as "Fourth printing".

I fully expect this book to kill millions of additional trees going forward.  If people keep buying them, variants will continue to get pumped out year after year.

Awesome.  That's exactly the feedback I was looking for. 

p.s.  The number of modern variants is crazy.   If we didn't count variants that have been produced after the variant explosion that occurred with the New 52, then I think the Adventures of Superman mall variants would be the clear winner for most variants of a DC Comic book.

On 1/21/2024 at 12:31 PM, Iconic1s said:

Don’t forget the Dollar Comic :bigsmile:

Hide contents

IMG_3815.jpeg.cc6cdf4f4c70f6d1d76c80c98f48521e.jpeg

But aren’t these reprints, rather than true variants?

Nice job getting that Dollar Comic in 9.8.   Yes, I count that comic book as a variant, but I can imagine that we could have an entire thread on what constitutes a variant vs a reprint.

On 1/21/2024 at 11:52 AM, Brock said:

If I split hairs, though, your question was actually "Was there ever a DC comic book prior to the New 52 that had more variants than Adventures of Superman 443?" Many of the variants that expand these three lists come AFTER the New 52.

By that standard, Killing Joke probably still comes ahead, with 20 variations on the list that @masterlogan2000 shared, plus possibly a stickered variant or two. Of course, we still don't know for sure how many mall variants there are.

Thanks for pointing that out.   Here is something to consider about those Adv of SM mall variants.   They are so extremely rare (many of the ones I have are the only known copy).  We know of 18 mall variants but I bet there may many, many more of them that were made but have not yet been found (and perhaps some of them will never be found.... I think they only made about 200 copies for each mall).

On 11/9/2020 at 3:22 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Although I did not end up winning this one, I did get pictures of all of it. Here is the 50th anniversary of superman promo/press release kit. I was curious if the mentioned the Mall promotion,  but did not see a reference in it.20201109_171845.jpg.b79f3650eed0265472c882a5d886b955.jpg20201109_171822.jpg.b51d06cad71387c3537deb52b6ffef7b.jpg20201109_171804.jpg.1f94d7f7d6e9434e7b82e9b0380349f7.jpg20201109_171745.jpg.8eea8bce2c8b786769306e2e064a254c.jpg20201109_171731.jpg.5fc3533acf8708960dd0813fbd43e686.jpg20201109_171717.jpg.0bcebf0e9a40d176f0f84a7362db23ab.jpg20201109_171703.jpg.4450c2efa7b6e0d10604e0b7898662d1.jpg

I have one of these kits and am curious if you have any idea of its value.  This is the first mention of it that I’ve ever found and would appreciate any feedback you could offer.

On 1/28/2024 at 4:23 PM, Stooby said:

I have one of these kits and am curious if you have any idea of its value.  This is the first mention of it that I’ve ever found and would appreciate any feedback you could offer.

I looked back through all of my screenshots and do not see that listing saved in it, but it is still listed on worthpoint. Although I don't have a subscription so I am unable to view its sold price. 

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/dc-comics-superman-50th-anniversary-3767770498

I do not know right off hand a possible value.

Maybe @Cpt Kirk may be interested or have any insights.

On 1/29/2024 at 12:56 AM, Stooby said:

Thanks for the link - much appreciated.  Mine has a color cover and includes a comic reprint.  @Cpt Kirk I welcome any feedback you can offer.  Thx.

image.thumb.jpeg.56f4ebde4e04b8cfca63d23edf1b7324.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.dc0ef2619d73366af07208909df1bd1e.jpeg

First of all, that's a really awesome collector's item you have there.  I hate to say it, but I remember 1988 very well.  There was a lot of excitement associated with the "new" Superman that was released in 1988.   

I have no idea what the value of that press kit would be other than to say I would gladly pay $200 for it.  If someone with a Worthpoint account could report the final sales price of the ebay auction, I would love to hear about it.

On 1/28/2024 at 11:56 PM, Stooby said:

Thanks for the link - much appreciated.  Mine has a color cover and includes a comic reprint.  @Cpt Kirk I welcome any feedback you can offer.  Thx.

image.thumb.jpeg.56f4ebde4e04b8cfca63d23edf1b7324.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.dc0ef2619d73366af07208909df1bd1e.jpeg

First, that's an awesome press kit. Second, to satisfy my curiosity about such things, can you confirm the included comic has a barcode at the bottom-left (with UPC 70989 31773)? From what I can see, it looks like that's just a normal newsstand copy, but weirder things have happened...