• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mall Variants of Adventures of Superman 443 - was there ever a DC issue with more variants prior to New 52?
6 6

135 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2023 at 11:18 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Thanks for the bump because I found this today! Anyone need this one? The scan is hosed, not the book

IMG_2023_08_05_23_17_35_899.jpg

Nice find.  I recommend listing it on ebay.   If you started the bidding at $100, I would gladly bid on it to get it started for you.   If no one else wants it, I would gladly add it to my collection as a spare for future trade value.

On 8/6/2023 at 10:07 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Nice find.  I recommend listing it on ebay.   If you started the bidding at $100, I would gladly bid on it to get it started for you.   If no one else wants it, I would gladly add it to my collection as a spare for future trade value.

Here you go!

first bid placed.  It will be interesting to see if there's any interest out there.   In the past, I've seen competition for them and they went from $100 to $200 I believe but on the other hand I bought one on ebay for $7 once before these became widely known.   I looked at the records for all the ones I one, and it appears as if almost every purchase I made was either from connections I made on this CGC website or ones that I found in the wild (one was from a 2nd and Charles in Chicago and the other was found in a small comic shop in Albany GA).  

On 6/25/2019 at 4:35 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

p.s.    It is amazing to me how few of these mall variants have surfaced.  I have a feeling that many of them are still buried in collections (because it seems that most people stopped throwing away comic books in the late 1970s).   I have offered bounties for these variants and written about them just to see if I could bring them out of the closet, so to speak.   This has worked to some extent (seven of the ones now in my collection came from fellow boardies).   Of the 14 known mall variants, I know of only one single copy for the following:  Montclair Plaza, Georgetown Park, Eden Prairie, Cranberry, Willowbrook, Town East, North Shore Square, Fiesta, Westgate, and The Parks at Arlington.   If anyone has any of those on hand, I would love to hear about it.

I need the Montclair Plaza one please, that's my hometown :foryou:

On 8/13/2023 at 3:57 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I need the Montclair Plaza one please, that's my hometown :foryou:

I have it in hand.  As soon as I decide to sell my collection, I will be in touch with you.  I have a feeling that it will be really hard to find another one.  I think you would have to canvass all the comic shops in that area to see if anyone has one

On 8/16/2023 at 10:33 PM, Carl Elvis said:

:applause:

IMG_8426.thumb.jpeg.557ba424474601e3bf505a00fa2f0d83.jpeg

Apparently people do care about this Superman variant.   I'm feeling pretty good about having 14 different ones right now.   If I didn't already have the Clearview Mall copy, I can almost say for sure that I would have been the high bidder on this recent auction.   Great result by the way for @FlyingDonut !

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 8/17/2023 at 7:55 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

Apparently people do care about this Superman variant.   I'm feeling pretty good about having 14 different ones right now.   If I didn't already have the Clearview Mall copy, I can almost say for sure that I would have been the high bidder on this recent auction.   Great result by the way for @FlyingDonut !

That was nice, but lets see if the buyer actually pays.

On 8/17/2023 at 10:11 AM, BCoffee said:

Oh man, I hope they pay! That would not be cool. 

I'm sure they will.    And I can assure @FlyingDonut that I would pay at least $150 for it just to have a spare, but it appears that there were lots of bidders above that figure.

On 12/20/2023 at 9:29 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

p.s.  I love the variants that weren't produced to be "rare".  Great examples are these mall variants, 2nd prints from the 80's and 90's, and Mark Jeweler variants.   I stopped collecting modern variants (unless the cover is really attractive or unique) because they are manufactured to be "rare".  I question the value of something that is manufactured to be "rare" ... of course some of those items become quite valuable but I'm not sure they will hold value over time.

My favorite example of unintentionally rare variants are the June 1980 DC Whitman variants.  Notoriously hard to find among those in the know, but also still frequently found by others (not me, sadly) in dollar bins because most people don't know.  I've only got one of them, since I collect the Legion:

Legion_264w.thumb.jpg.fb7cde54b40d9315f71b3d093363311f.jpg

I may not personally care about the Mall Variants for my own collection, but I love hearing about the hunt and love your passion for the project.

On 12/20/2023 at 1:18 PM, OtherEric said:

My favorite example of unintentionally rare variants are the June 1980 DC Whitman variants.  Notoriously hard to find among those in the know, but also still frequently found by others (not me, sadly) in dollar bins because most people don't know.  I've only got one of them, since I collect the Legion:

Legion_264w.thumb.jpg.fb7cde54b40d9315f71b3d093363311f.jpg

I may not personally care about the Mall Variants for my own collection, but I love hearing about the hunt and love your passion for the project.

Thank you!   Your encouragement means a lot to me.   And yes, those June 1980 Whitmans are great examples.  I love that you found the Legionnaire one in the wild.

Edited by Cpt Kirk