• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ms. Marvel

21 posts in this topic

I'm probably going to be adding a complete run of Ms. Marvel (a title I'm not all that familiar with) to my collection this week. Looking over the covers of the run, I noticed a couple costume changes: Costume 1--Bare midriff. Costume 2--Covered midriff. Costume 3--a completely new design. Is there any unusual or interesting history behind these changes?

I'm probably going to be adding a complete run of Ms. Marvel (a title I'm not all that familiar with) to my collection this week. Looking over the covers of the run, I noticed a couple costume changes: Costume 1--Bare midriff. Costume 2--Covered midriff. Costume 3--a completely new design. Is there any unusual or interesting history behind these changes?

She went to the covered midriff in 9(?) and it just happened. No discussion, nothing. SUddenly no more bellybutton. An amusing Bronze Age anecdote.

yeah, they were desperately trying to create some interest in the title

although you'd think they'd try to show more skin in each issue to accomplish that

get ready for a lot of internal conflict between Ms. Marvel and Ms. Danvers, great Cockrum covers, strange BA villians, stupid haircuts and strange Kree epithets galore...try not to get hosed on 17 & 18, since these have acquired some cachet since the x-movies emerged

get ready for a lot of internal conflict between Ms. Marvel and Ms. Danvers, great Cockrum covers, strange BA villians, stupid haircuts and strange Kree epithets galore...try not to get hosed on 17 & 18, since these have acquired some cachet since the x-movies emerged

Well, I'm set to pay about $85 for the whole set. They look to be in 9.4 to 9.6 condition. Is that a hosing, a deal, or about right?

it's not a "hey I'm a dealer, you're a dealer, let me hook you up with a mad crazy deal," but it's not a "hey rook, bend down and grab that quarter off of the floor for me whydoncha while i slip behind you and whuh-oh!" neither...so i'd say it's about right...provided there are more 9.6's than 9.4s

Well, I'm set to pay about $85 for the whole set. They look to be in 9.4 to 9.6 condition. Is that a hosing, a deal, or about right?

If the 17 and 18 are solid 9.4's, then I think it's a good deal. I would pay a little higher than normal to get a complete series.

although you'd think they'd try to show more skin in each issue to accomplish that

You obviously weren't reading it back then:

55283435382.17.gif

55283435382.19.gif

Those are really two of the most suuggestive covers from the Bronze age . . . I'll let your evil minds fill in my thoughts 27_laughing.gif

it's not a "hey I'm a dealer, you're a dealer, let me hook you up with a mad crazy deal," but it's not a "hey rook, bend down and grab that quarter off of the floor for me whydoncha while i slip behind you and whuh-oh!" neither...so i'd say it's about right...provided there are more 9.6's than 9.4s

sign-funnypost.gif

The Ms. Marvels look very sharp to me; I'd think they all have a chance to be 9.6's. However, I'm about a .650 hitter when it comes to picking 9.6's. About 35% of the comics I've sent to CGC that I thought were 9.6's have come up short. I even had one come back as 8.5.

Thanks for the input.

slabbed? a slabbed set of MM in 9.4 - 9.6 might be $600...provided you could find someone with $$$$ to burn like Mr. Li did - nice sale btw

can't compare raw to slabbed, although i've seen raw #18s pushing $100 in some crazy bidding scenarios, so $65 for the group sounds ok to me if you really feel like you can pick 9.4 - 9.6ses.

Since 18 is a black cover, it seems harder to find a clean copy. After MONTHS of raw Ebaying, I think I only got two 9.4's (if I'm lucky) and a 9.2. IMHO, even if the books you are looking at are only 9.4's, looks like a steal to me (or too good to be true)....

slabbed? a slabbed set of MM in 9.4 - 9.6 might be $600...provided you could find someone with $$$$ to burn like Mr. Li did - nice sale btw

I get the feeling that the market for 9.6s may have softened a bit, although if they're pretty solid 9.4/9.6, then it might be worth sending off to CGC. That's obviously if you're interested in flipping them. But, all told, $85 for a complete run in nice shape is a good deal, whether they are 9.4 or even 9.2s. But, recognize that the value of the run is in four issues: 1, 16, 17, and most importantly, 18.

It was quite a nice flip. acclaim.gif

But, recognize that the value of the run is in four issues: 1, 16, 17, and most importantly, 18. acclaim.gif

So, the others aren't worth reading? confused-smiley-013.gifpoke2.gif

Who can read them when they're in their plastic tomb? poke2.gif

But, recognize that the value of the run is in four issues: 1, 16, 17, and most importantly, 18. acclaim.gif

So, the others aren't worth reading? confused-smiley-013.gifpoke2.gif

Who can read them when they're in their plastic tomb? poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif