• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yesterday (2019)

9 posts in this topic

Thoroughly enjoyed this movie and thought I would share.  In another year of reboots, sequels, retellings or associated movies, this was a nice refresher. While the movie has not been scoring exceptionally high according to Rotten Tomatoes, I have had trouble seeing this since it arrived in theaters as it is playing on limited screens and in smaller auditoriums.  The movie kept selling out.  This is what happens when you are competing with a Marvel movie these days.  

Why post this here?  The premise of the movie has an element of the supernatural to it as one day a down on his luck musician is hit by a bus in the middle of a global event where the power goes out and the Earth is shrouded in darkness. When he comes to his friends give him a new guitar to replace the one destroyed in the accident.  When requested to play a song on his new guitar he says that a great guitar should always first play a great song.  As he finishes his rendition of 'Yesterday' his friends are floored by his performance asking him when he wrote it.  He then realizes that his friends have no idea who the Beatles are.  In this world the Beatles never formed a band.  Since he remembers all the songs he sets off to present the work of the Beatles as his own and skyrockets to fame when the world believes him to be one of the most gifted singer-songwriters of all time. He then tries to embrace his superstardom while hanging onto the previous life and friends that made him the person that he is. 

Director Danny Boyle, creates a movie that you cannot help smiling and singing along to in your mind.  When Jack is challenged by Ed Sheeran to come up with a song to test his songwriting skills, you cannot help but smile as Jack starts strumming on his guitar playing an 'unheard' and brand new song... (that just so happens to be one of the bigger hits by the Beatles.)

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and with the way the movie ended you cannot help but walk out and smile.  

Current Rotten Tomatoes Score:

Critics: 62%

Audience: 90%

This is one where I truly felt the audience got it right.  Go see this and thank me for it later. 

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

This looks interesting.

I promise you - you will enjoy yourself. One of the joys I had at this movie was watching everyone tapping along to the music 

Edited by Buzzetta

I went to see this with my kids when it came out.  It's a fun movie and needless to say the soundtrack is incredible.  It was a little weak in the last third IMO.  Overall a fun movie though.

EDIT:

Spoiler

The part when he goes to see an aged John Lennon is very sweet.

Edited by thunsicker

On 7/10/2019 at 5:27 PM, Buzzetta said:

Thoroughly enjoyed this movie and thought I would share.  In another year of reboots, sequels, retellings or associated movies, this was a nice refresher. While the movie has not been scoring exceptionally high according to Rotten Tomatoes, I have had trouble seeing this since it arrived in theaters as it is playing on limited screens and in smaller auditoriums.  The movie kept selling out.  This is what happens when you are competing with a Marvel movie these days.  

Why post this here?  The premise of the movie has an element of the supernatural to it as one day a down on his luck musician is hit by a bus in the middle of a global event where the power goes out and the Earth is shrouded in darkness. When he comes to his friends give him a new guitar to replace the one destroyed in the accident.  When requested to play a song on his new guitar he says that a great guitar should always first play a great song.  As he finishes his rendition of 'Yesterday' his friends are floored by his performance asking him when he wrote it.  He then realizes that his friends have no idea who the Beatles are.  In this world the Beatles never formed a band.  Since he remembers all the songs he sets off to present the work of the Beatles as his own and skyrockets to fame when the world believes him to be one of the most gifted singer-songwriters of all time. He then tries to embrace his superstardom while hanging onto the previous life and friends that made him the person that he is. 

Director Danny Boyle, creates a movie that you cannot help smiling and singing along to in your mind.  When Jack is challenged by Ed Sheeran to come up with a song to test his songwriting skills, you cannot help but smile as Jack starts strumming on his guitar playing an 'unheard' and brand new song... (that just so happens to be one of the bigger hits by the Beatles.)

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and with the way the movie ended you cannot help but walk out and smile.  

Current Rotten Tomatoes Score:

Critics: 62%

Audience: 90%

This is one where I truly felt the audience got it right.  Go see this and thank me for it later. 

Went to see this tonight so I'm here now to thank you later.:foryou:

Seriously, thanks for posting or I would have missed this. Great fun and a few good laughs as well! Cheers