• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's FANTASTIC FOUR (TBD)
8 8

1,138 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2023 at 9:41 PM, Mr Sneeze said:

Sue Storm as she is in the Byrne run would be awesome. That, I would happily pay to see.

Sue must be more than just a serving of cheesecake, but her strength must not be typical or gratuitous, and I think we'll lose Disney at gratuitous. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/30/2023 at 2:56 AM, jimjum12 said:
On 11/21/2023 at 9:41 PM, Mr Sneeze said:

Sue Storm as she is in the Byrne run would be awesome. That, I would happily pay to see.

Sue must be more than just a serving of cheesecake, but her strength must not be typical or gratuitous, and I think we'll lose Disney at gratuitous. GOD BLESS ...

Yeah, when I wrote that I was thinking how sad it is that a producer completely misses how powerful Sue is by thinking they need to change the Surfer into a woman to represent a strong female. It shows a lack of understanding of the source material and it breaks my heart. They don’t care about these characters, they are just using them to fill a suit, like Johnny Bravo in the Brady Bunch.

The heart of the FF is family, 4 equals; Reeds guilt towards Ben, Sue, Johnny and the curse of what happened to them. They all carry baggage and Victor is also wrapped up in it. They could easily write compelling new stories that don’t fall in the same old superhero tropes. 

But they will likely make a movie that will vindicate everyone who ever said the FF are irrelevant.

I hope I’m wrong, my consolation is all the great stories on my shelf.

On 7/20/2019 at 9:02 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I suspect this would also be the gateway for Sub-Mariner to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

On 3/4/2020 at 5:24 AM, TupennyConan said:

Doom should be played by a voice actor. His mask should never come off. 

On 3/4/2020 at 5:28 PM, TupennyConan said:

Please. No fancy Doom actor. Please. James Earl Jones is Vader - we [quasi]never see his face. Where did Lucas get that superb idea? 

On 2/22/2021 at 4:56 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Will we get good Reed or jerk Reed is my question.

On 5/4/2021 at 3:09 AM, Buzzetta said:

I wonder if Marvel is going to go for it all and release Fantastic Four on 4-4-24 as part of Phase 4 ?

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 4.06.12 AM.png

On 5/1/2022 at 9:49 AM, Xenosmilus said:

I don't really believe the reason he gave.  As with a lot of other directors that didn't work out for the MCU they complain that Disney is too rigid with what the director can and can't do. Hence, they bow out.  Technically, Watts was working with Sony so he probably had more flexibility than he would at Disney.  I'm just worried Disney wants a waken FF.  If that happens the MCU is over for me.

On 5/2/2022 at 2:44 PM, William-James88 said:

Saw this thread pop up again and I'm surprised it's not because we now have a shot of Reed Richards in the Doctor Strange film.

quoted some of the best posts in the first 15+ pages of this thread

On 11/30/2023 at 8:55 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

But they will likely make a movie that will vindicate everyone who ever said the FF are irrelevant.

Is it really the FF, or is it possibly us who have become irrelevant? I'd better get off my soapbox before someone throws a tomato at me. GOD BLESS... 

On 11/30/2023 at 1:01 PM, jimjum12 said:

Is it really the FF, or is it possibly us who have become irrelevant? I'd better get off my soapbox before someone throws a tomato at me. GOD BLESS... 

My wife will have a good laugh at the thought that I was ever relevant! :)

On 11/30/2023 at 2:26 PM, Mr Sneeze said:

If ever there was an argument to animate the FF it had to be the reality of Reeds stretching. Plus, it could be way cooler than anything live action could ever do.

That is my biggest concern, I just don't know how you do stretchy powers without looking goofy.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:40 PM, Mr Sneeze said:

In 20+ years of CBMs, we rarely see it - stretching - and when we do, it sucks. But then look at the Incredibles.

Yeah but then again the Incredibles is animated so it looks way smoother and also our brains could be more forgiving.  Like we know animated characters can do all kinds of stuff and we just accept it because it isn't real.  Put a real person stretching and while it may look good (which honestly up to now it hasn't) we may still reject it some what because we know humans don't do that and our brains just tell us it is wrong.

For example, the Human Torch on screen works because even though he is on fire his body still looks human, no 20 foot long goofy arms.  The Thing we can process because we see him as a "monster" and thus our brains are like, "ok he can look like anything".  The Hulk, shape and movement of a human (big human but still human).  I bet you if they dropped stretchy powers on a "monster" like the Super-Skrull we would accept it better because we wouldn't have to "disbelieve" so much.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:36 PM, media_junkie said:

Yeah but then again the Incredibles is animated so it looks way smoother and also our brains could be more forgiving.  Like we know animated characters can do all kinds of stuff and we just accept it because it isn't real.  Put a real person stretching and while it may look good (which honestly up to now it hasn't) we may still reject it some what because we know humans don't do that and our brains just tell us it is wrong.

For example, the Human Torch on screen works because even though he is on fire his body still looks human, no 20 foot long goofy arms.  The Thing we can process because we see him as a "monster" and thus our brains are like, "ok he can look like anything".  The Hulk, shape and movement of a human (big human but still human).  I bet you if they dropped stretchy powers on a "monster" like the Super-Skrull we would accept it better because we wouldn't have to "disbelieve" so much.

Great post!

Maybe they will reinterpret how his stretching works to make it more believable. It is a tough one. 

On 11/30/2023 at 8:55 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

They don’t care about these characters, they are just using them to fill a suit, like Johnny Bravo in the Brady Bunch.

On 11/30/2023 at 12:09 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Disney casting choices seem like they are already throwing money to fix the problem and that never works out

Well, you two are now starting to see what I've been talking about. 

Disney cares NOTHING about the art form. It's just catering for dollars. 

On 11/30/2023 at 4:54 PM, media_junkie said:

That is my biggest concern, I just don't know how you do stretchy powers without looking goofy.

Dude, ANYTHING can be made do work. You just need to do it well.

Buscema and Byrne made Reed's powers always look amazing. You just need the right source material. 

On a VERY interesting side note, my friend used to own the comic book store that a lot of the MCU actors and staff would get their reference material from and he would spend a lot of time discussing these things with them. The store owner was a lifetime comic book person.

True story. 

They sold the store a few years ago and the new owners seem to have little interest in the old comic history and are very much caught up in the new era of comics. 

I wonder how much this has affected the flavor of the movies. 

I've read that Disney has lost close to a $1Billion this year, has had 4 out of 5 movies flop and is losing 300K subscribers a month for consecutive months. 

Maybe it's time to change the formula? :whistle:

On 12/3/2023 at 6:36 PM, Silver Surfer said:

No I hope they keep on with the PC nonsense and pandering and lose another $10 B. 

Can you imagine a 15 year, 25 movie story arc, building up the Fantastic Four and the X-men meeting in a final showdown against some great villain team up like Thanos, only replaced by Doom?

Everyone would love it. Almost nobody would complain, just like almost nobody complained about the Avengers story arc that culminated in End Game. 

It's almost like the entire planet is brainwashed to want to ruin everything on purpose. So strange.