• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's FANTASTIC FOUR (TBD)
8 8

1,138 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2023 at 6:43 PM, Silver Surfer said:

I don’t want to get too political but every move these days seems to be to ruin something.

It's only politics if you talk about politics. 

Talking about why a movie isn't successful in terms of financials isn't politics. 

On 12/4/2023 at 1:41 AM, VintageComics said:

Can you imagine a 15 year, 25 movie story arc, building up the Fantastic Four and the X-men meeting in a final showdown against some great villain team up like Thanos, only replaced by Doom?

Everyone would love it. Almost nobody would complain, just like almost nobody complained about the Avengers story arc that culminated in End Game. 

It's almost like the entire planet is brainwashed to want to ruin everything on purpose. So strange. 

No and I hope not. How about maybe 5 year story arc at the most.

well, before yet another movie thread gets locked, if they are making the surfer a woman, it's a big F. no way around it. i love a good strong female superhero. captain marvel in her first movie and avengers endgame was awesome and believable. the first wonder woman movie is tons of fun. valkyrie in ragnarok was a cool character and well portrayed. 

but literally no one needs yet another popular character from 60-70 years ago to be given a sex-change. the surfer's origin story is based around the fact that he sacrificed his true love shalla bal to save his world. mephisto later tries to tempt him to do his bidding by reuniting them in a classic story. yes, a female could also do this. but it is not the same, nor likely to be as good, imho. 

what's more, it's a big leap for those of us whose favorite character was a man for the last 50 years to just say OK, now it's a woman. again. more importantly, who needs this? are teenage girls suddenly going to care about the silver surfer if its a twenty something woman? marvels and many other recent marvel films indicate the answer is absolutely not. 

has there been a bigger marvel comics SA character yet to be portrayed by a live actor in a film from marvel/disney? so many of us have been anticipating SS entry into the mcu. i love that actress too. THE WITCH is one of the greatest art films in the last twenty years. but no. not silver surfer. 

surfer deserves his own movie, without the FF. and it needs to be a man. and a bald one at that!  (too old now, but mark strong would have been awesome for this 20 years ago)

MV5BMTYwMzUxNDk2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDExMDM2NQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UY699_.jpg

Edited by alexgross.com

On 12/4/2023 at 2:24 AM, godzilla43 said:

No and I hope not. How about maybe 5 year story arc at the most.

(sorry, I should have said 12 years, not 15)

The short game has already proven to not work a zillion times over. It's why DC has been floundering and Marvel has sucked. 5 years is not enough to build a true, new cinematic universe. 

What did you have against the Avengers Endgame story arc that started in 2008 and ended in 2019? It was probably the greatest movie story arc in cinematic history. 

On 12/3/2023 at 6:24 PM, VintageComics said:

Dude, ANYTHING can be made do work. You just need to do it well.

Buscema and Byrne made Reed's powers always look amazing. You just need the right source material. 

That is my point, anything in comics/drawn or animated can be made to look right.  Not so (so far) on the big screen.

On 12/4/2023 at 2:12 PM, media_junkie said:

That is my point, anything in comics/drawn or animated can be made to look right.  Not so (so far) on the big screen.

Dude, they turned a racoon into a $1 Billion superhero movie. Think about that. lol

To people who have no interest in caped heroes, almost anything in tights is doomed but I think with the right production team can create magic out of nothing.

I think that making Reed Richards stretch CAN be done right, but frankly, the limit is not on how it would look, but what is he really going to be capable of with that stretchy power in a large battle?

His greatest gift was always his intellect and his stretchy power was secondary, and I can see them minimizing his "superpower" and maximizing his intellect. That's probably a plausible route they may take...if they don't change who he is altogether. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/4/2023 at 4:46 PM, VintageComics said:

(sorry, I should have said 12 years, not 15)

The short game has already proven to not work a zillion times over. It's why DC has been floundering and Marvel has sucked. 5 years is not enough to build a true, new cinematic universe. 

What did you have against the Avengers Endgame story arc that started in 2008 and ended in 2019? It was probably the greatest movie story arc in cinematic history. 

Movies need to make money. You do understand that? That Endgame story arc consisted on bunch movies that were all successful in box office. In the current shape Marvel is the Kang story arc only lasted one movie of number ?? of movies they may have planned.

On 12/5/2023 at 1:42 AM, godzilla43 said:

Movies need to make money. You do understand that?

Uh, do YOU understand that? Settle down, learn to read my posts more carefully and maybe you'll learn something. 

On 12/3/2023 at 5:24 PM, VintageComics said:

Well, you two are now starting to see what I've been talking about. 

Disney cares NOTHING about the art form. It's just catering for dollars. 

This is not my point

let me spell it out

marvel is hiring a list actors which in turn increases the budget which means they will either cut costs elsewhere thus creating an inferior product 

they of course cater to dollars. They are in the business of making money. 

On 12/5/2023 at 8:27 AM, jsilverjanet said:

This is not my point

let me spell it out

marvel is hiring a list actors which in turn increases the budget which means they will either cut costs elsewhere thus creating an inferior product 

they of course cater to dollars. They are in the business of making money. 

No. They've been in the business of virtue signalling and selling messages and that era has just ended, just as I called it in the Marvels thread. 

Go read my post in the Marvel / DC 1978 movies discussion thread. The fact that Iger is agreeing with me is pretty flattering. :D

Disney has lost $1BIL and 300K subsrcribers a month for consecutive months. Do YOU think they've been in the business of making money? lol

On 12/5/2023 at 8:30 AM, ThothAmon said:

Grandpa is that you?  The movie should be all about the Thing and this scene should be depicted. 

You can call me papi. 

And yeah, that scene is absolutely GOING to have to happen. It's one of the greatest moments in Marvel SA history and if they don't do that scene, it will prove how little they know about comic books. 

On 12/3/2023 at 6:24 PM, VintageComics said:
On 11/30/2023 at 8:55 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

They don’t care about these characters, they are just using them to fill a suit, like Johnny Bravo in the Brady Bunch.

On 11/30/2023 at 12:09 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Disney casting choices seem like they are already throwing money to fix the problem and that never works out

Well, you two are now starting to see what I've been talking about. 

Disney cares NOTHING about the art form. It's just catering for dollars

For the record, If I agreed with you, I am to be taken immediately for shock treatment and to the nearest available Volleyball camp.