• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just bought my first 3 silver age books!!

23 posts in this topic

Avengers are terrific comics. Especially from say 40-200. Or at least through 177.

I would go back further, to when the original Avengers left and Cap and his small crew held the fort. The title was good through the early 100s, I think I lost interest when Moondragon came on board.

They are Avengers 44, 56, and 68. They are definately low grades but its still exciting none the less. They will get me started.

I had to tell someone and you guys were it.

thats all

Excellent! Low Grades are great to read, because you're not worried about sitting on them, or bending the pages, or getting guacamole on them......

Have fun! Avengers are among my favorite title. headbang.gif

It felt pretty good huh! Did you collect just modern stuff up until now? What is your goal on collecting now, do you want to continue with Silver-Age Avengers or diversify to other titles? Either way congratulation and good luck!

Congratulations! Always nice to see someone else discovering the joys of Silver Age Marvel. You've got the second half of the Red Guardian two-parter, a classic Cap-focused story, and the last part of a great Ultron story.

No way you can stop here, there are so many great stories in that range, too many to enumerate. Low grade Avengers isn't too expensive either. Last year, I completed my Avengers #1-326 run, mostly in Good to Fine. Someday when I have time I'm just going to read them all in order.

Keep looking, and let us know what else you get!

A tip of the hat to the earlier generations of comics fandom - if you ignore the nosebleed prices on HG - there are lots of affordable SA books out there , largely due to the fact that they were saved in great numbers. That you can find hundreds of different issues of 35-45 year old books from the two main publishers for $5-$20 allows young new collectors to grab a vintage piece of comics history much older than themselves for less money ( especially when adjusting for inflation) than I paid for GA DC and Timely books back when I was young ( and those books were only 30 years old at the time).

I suppose on the downside, the sheer volume of material published in the last 70 years might make it difficult to figure out where to start collecting.

This is wonderful. Glad to hear it.

Growing up these were my first two issues of Avengers.

aven022.jpg

Of course a lot happened between these two issues so I had to fill in the blanks.

aven087.jpg

And of course I had FF 59 DOOMSDAY so I was hooked. cloud9.gif

I hope you enjoy your issues. Congratulations 893applaud-thumb.gif

Mica....are those the actual issues you owned back then?
The scans that I just posted are images from that nick simon website that I grabbed and placed on a CD that I can grab images from when I need to remember what month they came out.

As far as still having those 2 books .....Sadly no. I traded those when I was a teenager for X-men 141. tongue.gif Which is a good book, and at the time seemed like a good idea. .

It felt pretty good huh! Did you collect just modern stuff up until now? What is your goal on collecting now, do you want to continue with Silver-Age Avengers or diversify to other titles? Either way congratulation and good luck!

Yeah it did feel good. Yeah pretty much all moderns and of course the new ones every wed. I think I'll keep looking for silver age Avengers and Fantastic Four since I like to read the moderns. The older stories must be much better.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback and stories guys. Even though I anly have 3 Sa books and they only cost me $3.50 a piece. I feel like I am going to like it here and collecting the books..........as long as I can keep the buying to low and mid grades. High grades are a little expensive for me.

and, not that you're necessarily thinking this way, SA does tend to hold its value better than the new stuff. i'm not calling it an investment or anything, but if, in 5 or however many years, you decide you're into something else, the chances that you'll get a lot or all of your money back, or even turn a profit, are a lot higher than buying new stuff. not including my overhead costs (I rent a storage room) i have yet to not make a profit on any SA (or BA) book I've ever sold (granted, sometimes the return isn't so big), the only exception being stuff where I missed the fact that it was missing a page, etc.

but someone needs to buy the new stuff, otherwise comic collecting and comics really will die.

Congratulations! It was books like those that turn young people into comic addicts. They start out as Avengers fan and go onto the harder (and more expensive) stuff. If you keep going on with the collection, I have a letter printed in issued 69 or 70.