• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A bit of Doc Savage trivia...

38 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

His name was Steve Holland. Apparently he was an awesome model and posed for many Doc Savage covers...

Yep - how did you find out?

I was re-watching an episode of the 50s Flash Gordon TV show and looked him up.  He really didn't do much acting but his legacy is being the Doc Savage model.  He modeled for many artists.

Some pics I found when I was exploring - and if you haven't seen the 50s Flash - it not too bad  as long as you don't compare to later sci-fi standards.  

Doc%252520Savage%25252C%252520model%2525

04635f8379feeeb333773f4fe8b7cb7f.jpg

5fc880d2acdfe4ebb6ce42e0c7e8ea2d.jpg

7ef2daa82ccfd4bddb1c8d5410f31e72.jpg

1 minute ago, telerites said:

Yep - how did you find out?

I was re-watching an episode of the 50s Flash Gordon TV show and looked him up.  He really didn't do much acting but his legacy is being the Doc Savage model.  He modeled for many artists.

Some pics I found when I was exploring - and if you haven't seen the 50s Flash - it not too bad  as long as you don't compare to later sci-fi standards.  

Doc%252520Savage%25252C%252520model%2525

04635f8379feeeb333773f4fe8b7cb7f.jpg

5fc880d2acdfe4ebb6ce42e0c7e8ea2d.jpg

7ef2daa82ccfd4bddb1c8d5410f31e72.jpg

I remember reading it in the James Bama book "America Realist."  :)

An interesting bit of trivia...

Steve Holland also posed for Boris Vallejo for his Doc Savage covers, but by that time, Holland had lost the original shirt he'd used when posing for Bama. So Holland got another shirt and ripped it in what he thought was the same way. Unfortunately, he ripped it in the "mirror image" of the original shirt, so all the Boris covers depict the shirt the opposite of the Bama paintings...

Edited by The Lions Den

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Without looking this up, does anyone know who was the model was for the James Bama drawn Doc Savage paperback covers?

001.jpg

I remember buying that paperback as a kid. May still have it somewhere.

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

An interesting bit of trivia...

Steve Holland also posed for Boris Vallejo for his Doc Savage covers, but by that time, Holland had lost the original shirt he'd used when posing for Bama. So Holland got another shirt and ripped it in what he thought was the same way. Unfortunately, he ripped it in the "mirror image" of the original shirt, so all the Boris covers depict the shirt the opposite of the Bama paintings...

Yeah I read that.  I love learning things like this.  

15 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Or maybe we should call him by his new name: "Rock" Savage... lol 

Is he going to do it ?  :applause:

The actor IMO who would have made the perfect Renny, but who now is of course way to old (alive ? ) …..  was Clint Walker.  

A giant hulking man with a face looking like he just received some very bad news

10 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Is he going to do it ?  :applause:

The actor IMO who would have made the perfect Renny, but who now is of course way to old (alive ? ) …..  was Clint Walker.  

A giant hulking man with a face looking like he just received some very bad news

I'd really like to see a decent version of Doc make it to the big screen. That first movie was pretty cheesy... :ohnoez: 

11 minutes ago, Senormac said:

It was awful !!  The gleaming sparkle in Doc's eye ?!!  C'mon man.  Doc is an azz kicker !! 

I think of you as our resident Doc Savage guru.  Outside of the serials, I wonder if Ron Ely is the only actor to portray two different characters that started in the pulps?