• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GI Joe issue 1 question

4 posts in this topic

So I just bought a copy of GI Joe 1 (1982 series) on ebay. I've never owned this book before and it seems a little off to me.

The pages are like thicker paper stock as is the cover? Definitely looks & feels different than any other marvel 80s book I've owned.  Is that normal for this issue? I'm trying to make sure this isn't a reprint or anything. 

Also, I see normal proce box and diamond price box copies of this book going for about the same amount. I always thought the 80s diamond price books were reprints (like the early marvel star wars books).  But maybe I'm wrong here. 

Thanks for any info anyone can give!

08051911451.jpg

1 hour ago, UncleAnwar said:

So I just bought a copy of GI Joe 1 (1982 series) on ebay. I've never owned this book before and it seems a little off to me.

The pages are like thicker paper stock as is the cover? Definitely looks & feels different than any other marvel 80s book I've owned.  Is that normal for this issue? I'm trying to make sure this isn't a reprint or anything. 

Also, I see normal proce box and diamond price box copies of this book going for about the same amount. I always thought the 80s diamond price books were reprints (like the early marvel star wars books).  But maybe I'm wrong here. 

Thanks for any info anyone can give!

08051911451.jpg

GI Joe #1 was printed on Baxter paper, rather than the standard newsprint that Marvel was using at the time. The diamond price box indicates a Direct market copy, printed at the same time as the newsstand, and all first printings. There are no second or later printings of Joe #1 in that exact same format (as opposed to #2-64, most, if not all, had reprints in the same format.)