• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC corner crack
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hoping I can get some insight here on what to do with this, ordered my first CGC Signature series and it just arrived today, sadly it seems the case in the top left has been damaged during shipping. Unfortunately I cannot get this reslabbed due to my location and I don't intend to resell at any stage. Is this something I should be worried about? The crack can only be seen from the back or side, there doesn't seem to be any holes or openings anywhere. Last thing I wanted to happen with my first CGC signature purchase but alas :) Pics below for reference.

20190806_102140.thumb.jpg.0cda608e65e8a89aa5b68811ac254e61.jpg

20190806_102150.thumb.jpg.0d0307022dd1c28e1689cc1ec5ac5ca8.jpg

20190806_102210.thumb.jpg.c9326a79fb15304755a0164cd1226ab9.jpg

20190806_100157.jpg.064d4d211277e9aff355854224be6552.jpg

Edited by IbukiLord
Update

2 hours ago, IbukiLord said:

Hoping I can get some insight here on what to do with this, ordered my first CGC Signature series and it just arrived today, sadly it seems the case in the top left has been damaged during shipping. Unfortunately I cannot get this [re-slabbed] due to my location and I don't intend to resell at any stage. Is this something I should be worried about? The crack can only be seen from the back or side, there doesn't seem to be any holes or openings anywhere. Last thing I wanted to happen with my first CGC signature purchase but alas :) Pics below for reference.

Was this a submission on your own CGC account? I ask, because the bolded comment would not make sense to me, if that is the case.

If you bought this from some else, I would suggest contacting them to see if they can have it re-holdered, and then re-send to you. That would take some time, though.

I personally don't like it, but as long as the integrity of the case is not compromised, there's really nothing to "worry" about. I have quite a few cases that have chips/cracks in them. I plan on getting them re-holdered soon.

25 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Was this a submission on your own CGC account? I ask, because the bolded comment would not make sense to me, if that is the case.

I bought it from a local comic store, the case was damaged during the shipping process, I can confirm this.

I already got it for 50% of the listed price so it would be unfair for me to take it up with the store I bought it from since I got a big discount already.

Thanks for the feedback, I feel a bit more at east knowing I don't have much to worry about with this, nothing seems compromised from what I can see.

2 minutes ago, IbukiLord said:

...I already got it for 50% of the listed price so it would be unfair for me to take it up with the store I bought it from since I got a big discount already...

Nice. Yeah, with that discount, I would feel the same.

If you ever find a local shop who's also a CGC Dealer, they should be able to send it in for re-holder. I would suggest it. Should cost you $15 plus whatever the local shop charges you for their services/shipping.

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you ever find a local shop who's also a CGC Dealer, they should be able to send it in for re-holder. I would suggest it. Should cost you $15 plus whatever the local shop charges you for their services/shipping.

We have one here, unfortunately with where I am the cost will be about $125 for the shipping and re-holder. It is for my personal collection so if a cheaper option becomes available or I decide to use the local services to do some other CGC books maybe I will throw it in to keep costs down. Thanks again.

20 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Excellent advice. 

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you bought this from some else, I would suggest contacting them to see if they can have it re-holdered, and then re-send to you. That would take some time, though.

I personally don't like it, but as long as the integrity of the case is not compromised, there's really nothing to "worry" about. I have quite a few cases that have chips/cracks in them. I plan on getting them re-holdered soon.

just to add on the great advice already given I would also just point out don't put any additional weight on case as to not crack it further which could cause damage. otherwise it seems ok. 

Little update, I spoke with the store I bought this from and they are putting in a claim as the package was insured, so looks like I'll be getting my money back in full once the claim has gone through and still get to keep this item. I might use the money to pick up a Supergirl #18 Artgerm cover 9.8 CGC I've been eyeing. Thanks again for the feedback here.