• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joe Kubert's Tor

6 posts in this topic

As near as I can tell, I'm close to putting together a complete set of Kubert's Tor stories.  But I haven't been able to find a definitive set of appearances anywhere, so I thought I would ask here to make sure I'm not missing something.

There were six issues from St. John in the 50's: 1,000,000 Years ago 1, two distinct 3-D issues both numbered #2, the first of which came out in both magazine and comic size, and three issues (numbered 3-5) not in 3-D.

In the 60's, Alter Ego had a Tor cover on #6 and printed some unsold newspaper strips in #10

In the 70's, DC published 6 issues; the first issue featured a longer reworking of the newspaper strips and the rest were reprints other than the covers.  There were also two issues of Sojourn with Tor stories, I don't have those and don't know if they are new or not.

In the 80's, Eclipse reprinted the 3-D issues with new covers.

In the 90's, there was a story in A1 comics #5.  Marvel/ Epic did a new four issue series, it included a reprint of the A1 story.

In the 00's DC did a new 6 issue series, there was also a hardcover reprint series.

Is anybody aware of anything else I should be looking for?

And here's a couple covers so there's something interesting to look at rather than my wall of text.

Tor_1.jpg

Tor_4.jpg

8 hours ago, Silver said:

Pretty sure there were four St, Johns besides the 3-D, 1, 3-5, You posted the #1.

The first issue was actually titled "One Million Years Ago"; spelled out in the indicia and as digits on the cover.

Here are the 3D issues for some more art in the thread:

Tor_2a.jpg

Tor_2b.jpg