• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who was the craziest person to ever work in comics?

77 posts in this topic

....it's a cross between Jeff Jones with the cross-dressing thing going on,...not that there's anything wrong with that,....and Wally Wood with the heroin thing....not that there's anything wrong with that.....

I wonder about the interior life of the artist who did those hyper-violent stories for Atlas in the 1950s. Can't quite remember his name, probably a pseud. Something Q. Sale?

He'd do like prison riot stories or tongue ripped out stories, bullet through the head covers, etc. He did a great job drawing crazed people.

Marc

S. Clay Wilson? Tim Vigil? Spain Rodriguez? Robert Williams? A certain R. Crumb?

Not sure if these gents are crazy, although a couple have reps. Judging by their work they should be at least slightly mental.

S. Clay Wilson? Tim Vigil? Spain Rodriguez? Robert Williams? A certain R. Crumb?

Not sure if these gents are crazy, although a couple have reps. Judging by their work they should be at least slightly mental.

Certainly Gilbert Shelton was a wacky guy as well... 27_laughing.gif

Certainly Gilbert Shelton was a wacky guy as well... 27_laughing.gif

I met him (along with Paul Maurides) at a signing many years ago in London. He seemed very down to earth, although his early work (Wonder Warthog, Feds And Heads, the first couple of Freak Brothers volumes) gives you the impression that he certainly walked the walk, especially with the Rip Off Press being situated in Berkeley.

Vaughn Bode... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

One of the nicest person in the biz I have ever met.

(the thread title was too tempting to pass up as I browsed to see if the Chicago Forum Dinner thread was updated.)

You met Vaughn Bode? I didn't picture you being that old.

Bode was certainly nuts. I don't know if he was the craziest, but he's out there.

I suppose you'd have to add Jim Steranko to the list, although eccentric would indeed be the better term.

And then there's Pat Mills (Slaine writer) and Greg Brooks ('80s DC artist who is currently in jail for murdering his wife)

Grant Morrisson should be in the running of curent crazies....believes that his Invisibles series is a working magical operation, inspired by the "psychonaut"-style magic of Peter Carroll. Like, the graphic novel is a functioning magical sigil, or some such notion.

According to Paul Kupperberg, it was Robert Kanigher. Paul told me some wild tales about Kanigher. Though he was also very creative in addition to his craziness. Kanigher was asked to create a new superteam and by the next day he had created and written a full -script for Metal Men.

Marston wasn't crazy. Eccentric, maybe, but not crazy.

I used to know Christopher Priest pretty well, and he wasn't crazy either. Actually, he's a nice guy. Opinionated, but a good man.

-- Joanna