• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who was the craziest person to ever work in comics?

77 posts in this topic

Well, I have to with R. Crumb sumo.gif (with an honorable mention to Harvey Pekar) blush.gif

Finally someone mentioned Pekar. He was gonna be my vote.

Why? Is it so wrong to tell Letterman off? 27_laughing.gif

From what I've seen of his work, interviews, and panels at cons, his reactions to the world seem pretty logical and sane to me...

Maybe I've missed something.

Marc

Well, I have to with R. Crumb sumo.gif (with an honorable mention to Harvey Pekar) blush.gif

Finally someone mentioned Pekar. He was gonna be my vote.

Why? Is it so wrong to tell Letterman off? 27_laughing.gif

From what I've seen of his work, interviews, and panels at cons, his reactions to the world seem pretty logical and sane to me...

Maybe I've missed something.

Marc

Marc,

Neither Pov or I said we didn't like him . . . we just think he's a tad screwy.gif

27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

stooges.gif

Seriously.... I'm assuming that no one is familiar with Michael Netzer/Nasser here?

If not, try this on for size: www.michaelnetzer.com

It's been noted. thumbsup2.gif

About time!

Just to be sure, read "Time for Tomorrow.

www.flamingsword.biz

time-netzer.jpg

How do, Anti-Christ.

Hi Mike,

Like your stuff! thumbsup2.gif

Mike's appearance here reminds me of another strong contender for the title of this thread, and one that also was apparently brought here as a result of a posting of mine: T Casey Brennan

(I can only assume our CGC site is very Google-friendly for creators looking for their own names) confused-smiley-013.gif

Hi Mike,

Like your stuff! thumbsup2.gif

Mike's appearance here reminds me of another strong contender for the title of this thread, and one that also was apparently brought here as a result of a posting of mine: T Casey Brennan

(I can only assume our CGC site is very Google-friendly for creators looking for their own names) confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually, it's the site stats for me. They pick up reference sources when someone posts a link.

Say hi to Casey. I have a drawing of him at Portraits of the Creators

How do, Anti-Christ.

Howdy, Goldust.

It's really just a night job, the Anti-Christ thing. I'll probably give it up soon as I pay the bills. Unless they kill me first.

Hello Michael.

How difficult would it be for you to leave the West Bank?

If you had the option to return to the U.S.A., would you not consider taking it?

The man lives in the middle of the desert with a dead tree in his front yard and did you ever listen to danzig 4 he is nuts I love his work in comics and music but he is nuts

What's crazy about living in the desert? I'd love to live away from society, out in nature, am I crazy? What's crazy about Danzig 4? If you want to talk about nutjobs in metal, Varg Vikernes makes Danzig look like Dr Joyce Brothers.

Just cause people like Horror flicks, Metal and have large ego's doesn't make them nuts. Also, Rob Zombie is a really down to earth cat so whoever mentioned him is off base.

I've met Glenn Danzig in person & have "folllowed" his career since the mid 1980's. Am I a Danzig fanboy? No, not for at least the last 10 years anyway. Do I think he's a nut? No.

Eccentric? Yes. Ego-maniacal? Yup. Jerk? Probably.

Crazy? Nah.

Yes, I've listened to Danzig 4. So? It's a decent enough work of "dark" hard rock. It doesn't make Danzig (or the other members of the band, mind you) crazy for creating it.

Is Stephen King "crazy" because he creates horror fiction? confused-smiley-013.gif

Casey was an important comic book writer in the early 1970's, with one of his stories, "On the Wings of a Bird" winning an award for best story of its year. Casey wrote the first philosophical comic book stories that I became aware of. Many people watched his work closely.

Times changed and Casey started a campaign to get smoking out of comics (not that there was every much in comics to start with). He received many endorsements from Eva Gabor and Elvira to Henry Kissenger and Ted Kennedy. Eventually Bill Clinton declared it T.Casey Brennan month. I kid you not. I have a copy of the award.

He was not supported by "the New York comic scene" in his endeavor probably because there was so little smoking in comics to start with and because people wanted to write and draw whatever they wanted to write and draw. One fellow who was drawing "Sherlock Holmes" at the time asked, "Does he want me to get rid of the pipe".

T.Casey who always marched to the beat of a different drummer, for whatever reason, began to march to the beat of a very different drummer.

I wish him all the best in the future.

I am sure that he is all but forgotten now in the world of comics, but searching his name on the net will turn up an interesting trail.

Hello Michael.

How difficult would it be for you to leave the West Bank?

If you had the option to return to the U.S.A., would you not consider taking it?

The only difficulty now is financing the travelling.

If I had the option, I'd return to the US for at least a few years. That's what I'm working for with the intensive comics related work on the site and setting up Flaming Sword. All in good time, though. The opportunity will open up when the time's right.

Are you really Mike Nasser/Netzer? Why did you change your name?

John

I only changed the English spelling, John. The root name remained the same.

Nasser is English for an Arabic word. When I moved to Israel, I began using the Hebrew pronounciation of the same word, which is Netzer.

I later changed the English spelling because it more properly reflected how I pronounced my name here in Israel.

Thanks, Ron...

I was on the internationally syndicated radio show X-Zone on Jan. 3...if you missed it, you can get in the archives for

January 3rd, 2006 at:

http://www.xzone-radio.com/archives.htm

Unless you know how to fast forward, you'll have to sit through some news and commercials, but it's an hour long interview with me.

There's also a lot of biography on me in FOLLOWING CEREBUS #6, just out; site at:

http://spectrummagazines.bizland.com/fccurrent2.chtml

Best,

T. Casey Brennan