• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who was the craziest person to ever work in comics?

77 posts in this topic

...Wally Wood with the heroin thing....not that there's anything wrong with that.....

Did Wally Wood have a drug problem. I never heard that story. I read he shot himself becasue of a kidney issue? Not true?

Thanks

...Wally Wood with the heroin thing....not that there's anything wrong with that.....

Did Wally Wood have a drug problem. I never heard that story. I read he shot himself becasue of a kidney issue? Not true?

Thanks

He was a depressive and an alcoholic, and did commit suicide due to declining health, which included the kidney failure, along with the loss of vision in one eye.

Just saw where this thread has risen from the dead and i have a couple of remarks to make about names that have been mentioned in the past. Jim Steranko does not belong on this list. I met him at a convention back in '90 and he was gracious enough to spend quite a bit of time discussing mutual interests with me, such as old Hitchcock films. He spoke to me as an equal, not as a superior. On the other hand, Barry Windsor-Smith was also mentioned and i don't know if he is crazy or not, but he is definitely an 893censored-thumb.gif I met him at a Heroes Convention back in the early 90's, and man what an ego. I was the only person near him and tried to have a conversation with him and he would not even acknowledge that i was there. He signed my three books, but first made it clear to me that it was three and three only. That is all he said to me, and not once looked at me.

Scott

Good point, what is the definition of crazy? To me Jack Cole seems a little crazy. He was at the height of his career and killed himself.

Where is the line between crazy and genius? Don't you have to be at least a little crazy to be a genius? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Apparenty Cole did not believe himself to be at the height of his life. Anybody mention Basil Wolverton in this thread? Where did his stuff come from?

Not sure if you met him or not, but I personally knew JO Barr, and well, he wins for me.

i met him at a show, his wife(girlfriend) did all the talking, He just sat and drew and occassionally looked up. It was like he was an infant and the mother taking care of him, never heard him speak confused-smiley-013.gif

Probably Alan Moore But then again Glenn Danzig did death dealer with frank franzetta and he is off the wall insane If that counts for working on comics

I am going to go with Alan Moore. He is just plain creepy crazy.

Alanmoore.jpg

In that vein, Grant Morrison. Chaos Magic. Weirdly disjointed comic plots. Believes continuity should be destroyed. Yep, CRAZEEEE!!!!! Though Alan looks like he spent a little too much time in the cuckoo's nest.

Probably Alan Moore But then again Glenn Danzig did death dealer with frank franzetta and he is off the wall insane If that counts for working on comics

I am going to go with Alan Moore. He is just plain creepy crazy.

Alanmoore.jpg

Definately. Of course, BWSmith does say that he saw a UFO once. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Okay, haven't posted for a while and this thread is interesting indeed! Barry Windsor Smith is full of himself...he spouted on about "his work" compared to "everyone elses." He made it clear that his work was far more innovative than his contemporaries. While it may have been true in some respects, actually saying that? EGOMANIAC!

Tim Vigil gets my vote...that guy freaked me out when I met him on a Faust book-signing tour.

This is sad, but I have to share it. When she was 20 (and before we were married), my wife and her best friend met Danzig during a tour when he was promoting his first album in St. Louis and got to go backstage. Apparently, Danzig was not interested in "partying and getting wasted" like the "hot " guitarist. My wife said Danzig's demeanor was similar to Henry Rollins...that tells us enough.