• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE: REVELATION (He-Man) animated limited series (TBD)

50 posts in this topic

Netflix is working with filmmaker Kevin Smith (ClerksMallrats) to create a He-Man limited anime series entitled Masters of the Universe: Revelation. Smith, who'll serve as the project's showrunner and executive producer, has unveiled the new show at the annual Power-Con convention celebrating Eternia's super siblings. Unlike Netflix's She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, which is a reboot of the 1980's Masters of the Universespinoff featuring He-Man's sister, Revelation will pick up where the original animated show left off.

It will focus on unresolved storylines from the '80s show, featuring familiar characters and what Smith says could be "the final battle between He-Man and Skeletor." Mattel Television is producing the series, while Powerhouse Animation is doing the animation for it. Powerhouse is the same studio behind Netflix's Castlevania, so that's good news if you loved the gothic horror game franchise's adaptation for the streaming platform.

Smith promises that the new He-Man series "is the Masters of the Universestory you always wanted to see as a kid." Unfortunately, it may take a while to confirm if that's truly the case: Netflix has yet to announce when Revelation will be available for streaming.

Source: https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/18/netflix-he-man-kevin-smith/

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

While this sounds cool, I am not a fan of "Anime" style cartoons.  I just don't like the look of them.  I will however watch the first episode to give it a chance.

I'm the same way many times in taking traditional characters and forcing them into an Anime format.

But with Batman Ninja the artwork was actually quite incredible. And the film could have been a classic if not for that Act 3 'full Anime' where all of a sudden houses turned into giant robots and rockets were launching all over the place in Feudal Japan.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:
4 hours ago, media_junkie said:

While this sounds cool, I am not a fan of "Anime" style cartoons.  I just don't like the look of them.  I will however watch the first episode to give it a chance.

I'm the same way many times in taking traditional characters and forcing them into an Anime format.

Same here. I think trying to make this in the Anime style, especially if trying to connect it to the past work, would be a mistake.

3 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Is anyone excited about this?  I was a huge He-man fan as a kid but the nostalgia for it doesn't translate over to adulthood for me like it does for the MCU or Star Wars (original stuff).

I'm taking a wait and see approach.  Rumors swirling on the net are claiming He-man is in two episodes and then it turns into the "Teela" show.

Didn't watch the Kevin Smith Q&A you just posted.  I did watch the MOTU Netflix show.

Episode one starts off great, and then goes to the dogs the  last five minutes and the rest of the series doesn't get any better.  It quickly morphs into the "Teela" show and I find the way she is written/portrayed to be an insufferable jerk.  

Kevin Smith may have put out some great things in the past, but this isn't one of them, as far as MOTU is concerned he is a hack.  I will not be watching the next five "Part 2" episodes.

Edited by media_junkie