• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE: REVELATION (He-Man) animated limited series (TBD)

50 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2021 at 9:14 AM, media_junkie said:

Didn't watch the Kevin Smith Q&A you just posted.  I did watch the MOTU Netflix show.

Episode one starts off great, and then goes to the dogs the  last five minutes and the rest of the series doesn't get any better.  It quickly morphs into the "Teela" show and I find the way she is written/portrayed to be an insufferable jerk.  

Kevin Smith may have put out some great things in the past, but this isn't one of them, as far as MOTU is concerned he is a hack.  I will not be watching the next five "Part 2" episodes.

Wow! Not that the explosion statement his career is over is factual. But the reaction and review details are scary.

On 7/23/2021 at 3:15 PM, Bosco685 said:

Wow! Not that the explosion statement his career is over is factual. But the reaction and review details are scary.

Yeah, it is a bit far fetched to say Kevin Smith's career is over based on a cartoon on Netflix.  However the show is c*r*a*p* IMO.  I am sure the critic reviews and the powers that be will just say it is angry toxic fan-boys full of nerd rage that is crapping all over the audience score, but seriously you can only claim that so many times before it seems like you are yelling "wolf", when there isn't any wolf there.

Edited by media_junkie
Cannot believe this edits out the word "c*r*a*p*

On 7/23/2021 at 3:22 PM, media_junkie said:

Yeah, it is a bit far fetched to say Kevin Smith's career is over based on a cartoon on Netflix.  However the show is c*r*a*p* IMO.  I am sure the critic reviews and the powers that be will just say it is angry toxic fan-boys full of nerd rage that is crapping all over the audience score, but seriously you can only claim that so many times before it seems like you are yelling "wolf", when there isn't any wolf there.

There are a LOT of these videos today on the topic. Many unhappy viewers. :(

On 7/23/2021 at 3:47 PM, Bosco685 said:

Loved the animation

Voice cast was amazing

Even references the original live movie

Based on only Episode 1 he enjoyed it

I thought the animation was good.  Some of the character designs not so good.  Overall voice casting was good.  Although I will say that Skeletor (Mark Hammill) sounded exactly like the Joker.  If you closed your eyes, it was the Joker talking.  Also Merman (Kevin Conroy) sounded exactly like Batman.  It is like those two didn't even try to change voices.  It was a bit off-putting.  The rest of the voices were fine.

I was disappointed with the show. Even the brilliant Mark Hamill, I felt, was not a good match for Skeletor. That might be because we were all so spoiled with Alan Oppenheimer's brilliance.

Lena Headey was the best part about the show, in my opinion. 

I'm definitely not looking forward to Part 2, but I'm sure I'll watch and pray they turn this thing around -- because this is not the MOTU I loved as a child.

I watched the first 3 episodes so far.

I liked the fact that they mixed up the basic He-Man story. The original cartoon NEVER had a really decent story. 

It felt like they did something a bit like Transformers the Movie and a few others stories I can't mention. I liked the first episode.

I liked Evil-Lynn, liked Beast Man. Animation was solid. I do want to see where this goes, and the main story is kind of compelling.

HOWEVER, a big part of the series is Teela (and her annoying sidekicks) journey. But sadly these two characters are very unlikable. So I get some of the backlash. Some minor tweaks and this could of been a lot better.

Minor nitpick, didn't like Orkos voice. 

Overall I still want to see where this goes.
I suspect all will be back to somewhat normal by the end. 

On 7/24/2021 at 2:27 AM, Rip said:

I watched the first 3 episodes so far.

I liked the fact that they mixed up the basic He-Man story. The original cartoon NEVER had a really decent story. 

It felt like they did something a bit like Transformers the Movie and a few others stories I can't mention. I liked the first episode.

I liked Evil-Lynn, liked Beast Man. Animation was solid. I do want to see where this goes, and the main story is kind of compelling.

HOWEVER, a big part of the series is Teela (and her annoying sidekicks) journey. But sadly these two characters are very unlikable. So I get some of the backlash. Some minor tweaks and this could of been a lot better.

Minor nitpick, didn't like Orkos voice. 

Overall I still want to see where this goes.
I suspect all will be back to somewhat normal by the end. 

So like others point out the news isn't all bad.

I wonder of the rating sites are experiencing another Audience Score attack from those excessively offended?

Filmmaker and star of Jay and Silent Bob Kevin Smith, who is the showrunner of Masters of the Universe: Revelation, has described the new series as a continuation of the most popular Masters of the Universe continuity; the 1983 animated series produced by Filmmation. Despite this, the new series draws upon the whole of the Masters of the Universe mythology, adding to the classic storyline rather than rebooting it completely. To give one example, the first episode of Masters of the Universe: Revelation sees He-Man's Sword of Power separated into two different blades. This is a nod to the continuity of the mini-comics that came with the original action figures, where the Sword of Power was formed from two half-swords that were in the possession of He-Man and Skeletor respectively. Many of the early stories centered around Skeletor's efforts to acquire both sword-halves, as the complete Sword of Power acted as a key to the secrets of Castle Grayskull.

Beyond the original comics, the Netflix series also utilizes several of the key elements that were unique to the 2002 Masters of the Universe reboot animated series, such as the Hall of Wisdom, and it seeks to introduce them into the reality of the first animated series.  The season finale, "The Forge at the Forest of Forever," introduces several characters created for the 2009 Masters of the Universe Classics toy line, such as the warriors Vikor and Wundar.

Masters of the Universe: Revelation goes so far as to reference the much-maligned and often slated 1987 live-action Masters of the Universe movie, starring Dolph Lundgren as He-Man. During the season finale, Prince Adam invites Teela to join him on a pair of unwieldy flying disc vehicles, modeled on one of the more infamous vehicles from the low-budget movie, which he teasingly asks her if she remembers. She responds that there are "some things you could never forget," which echoes the sentiments of many fans regarding the live-action Masters of the Universe movie. 

On 7/24/2021 at 9:47 AM, Mmanick said:

Watched the whole show last night. Unfortunately it should be called Tee-la and the masters of universe. Not impressed at all. How could they do he-man like that. 

Definitely was Tee-la’s quest. 
1st episode was pretty darn good

Edited by Icculus308win

On 7/25/2021 at 8:40 PM, Icculus308win said:

Definitely was Tee-la’s quest. 
1st episode was pretty darn good

I agree bro. Animation was good and so was the voice actors I thought. Skeletor definitely had the joker voice going lol. Other then that show was a massive dumpster fire.