• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics and Classic Covers

14 posts in this topic

Why is it that only three issues of Action have been designated by the OS Guide as Classic Covers, Action 36, Action 89 and Action 108? Granted that these three issues do have great covers but I find it hard to believe that during the Golden And Silver Ages there haven't been any others. Any opinions as to which issues should be designated by OS as having classic covers?

I agree that many more should be designated as classic covers. Most of the ones nearmint mentions, plus I'd throw in #13 & #17.

At the very least, some of the better war covers should be broken out in the guide. What would you rather purchase, a classic war cover or a cover with superman racing a turtle?

I'll probably get slagged for saying this.

My personal take is that the DC covers in general were much more mundane and far less dynamic than the Timelys. Even more so when compared to some of the 2nd tier publishers such as the early Fox books and some of the Nedors and Fiction House books.

My personal take is that the DC covers in general were much more mundane and far less dynamic than the Timelys. Even more so when compared to some of the 2nd tier publishers such as the early Fox books and some of the Nedors and Fiction House books.

In general, I agree, but for some reason the DC characters appealed to me as a child in the 70s, so I have the most nostalgia for those characters even in the Golden Age. I do think there are some exceptions, like the run of Action 52-63 that I posted in the "Jeff's Golden Age Actions on Parade" thread.

On the other hand, if you open up the Photojournal to a two page spread of Golden Age Captain America or Marvel Mystery, the covers all kinda look the same. Open up a two page spread of Superman or Action, and it's easier to delineate between each book.

Also, it seems that more iconic covers have resulted from the less "busy" DC cover style. Books like Batman #9, Superman #14, etc.

And as for Nedor, you certainly don't have to convince me that they had great covers! cloud9.gif

I'd say it's a matter of being less lurid, rather than being less dynamic - at least in the early years. Other publishers relied more on female bondage, the threat of torture, and gunplay than did DC, but DC certainly has it's share of dynamic covers. I will agree that starting in the mid 40s, DCs fondness for "humor" covers on many of their superhero books makes them less compelling for most of today's collectors.

Couldn't agree with you more NearMint (oh, and happy B-day again),.. I think the Timely books had some great art, but the covers do actually all look the same, LOTTA red on the Marvel Mysterys.... while the DC books might have been void of background art for the most part, they do (and always will) have the most iconic characters in history,, I mean come on I'll take a Superman 14 or 24 or a Batman 9 over a Timely book any day, but that's just me... never been much of a Marvel guy, make mine DC .... cloud9.gif

Couldn't agree with you more NearMint (oh, and happy B-day again),.. I think the Timely books had some great art, but the covers do actually all look the same, LOTTA red on the Marvel Mysterys.... while the DC books might have been void of background art for the most part, they do (and always will) have the most iconic characters in history,, I mean come on I'll take a Superman 14 or 24 or a Batman 9 over a Timely book any day, but that's just me... never been much of a Marvel guy, make mine DC .... cloud9.gif

I do know where you are coming from, but I'd much rather have a Marvel Mystery Comics #44 over a Batman 9, but that's just me... grin.gif

West

I'm not really arguing that one is preferable to the other. Only that both have merit for different reasons.

Heck, it's my B-Day. I want the Batman #9 AND the MM #44!

HA !!! grin.gif funny stuff,, yes, Marvel Mystery #44 is a great cover... as are alot of the Golden Age stuff, it just comes down to preferance really, that's what alows the hobby perpetuate itself, if we all collected the same stuff, it would be a very different ballgame... heck I'm in the minority here, I know there are more MM collectors than there are Action Comics collectors, but GA Actions are my favorite...now if NearMint will just sell me his Action # 43, everything will be Golden !!! thumbsup2.gif

Steve, I really love that Action #108 that you bought from Harley at San Diego! I would love to find a reasonably priced copy of that in high grade! To me its one of the great covers in the Action run along with war covers and #52, 61, the fantastic X-mas covers #93,105,117. Also #152,162,182,186 and the Superman marries Lois Lane on the cover of Action #206. Those later issues are real tough to find in nice shape. I forgot to add Action # 101 with its fantastic Atom bomb test cover. Erik

I agree with Nearmint, the Marvel Mystery covers look pretty much the same to me including the MM #44. There is just too much havoc going on in most of those covers!