• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SHE-HULK show (TBD)
5 5

1,228 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2022 at 7:15 PM, PovertyRow said:

I agree, but what I am saying is it should not BE a unified universe. Which is why I said "They need not be mutually inclusive. In fact it would probably be disjointed/distracting if they tried to incorporate aspects of one into the other." Everything need not be canon. Consider it an expanded "What If...?" concept.

But that is not how they are handling these shows. These are the Phase 5 movie characters. 

On 9/17/2022 at 9:42 AM, drotto said:

This is just a general though.  I know marvel has a goal to expand the genres that their shows encompass.  How does this effect incorporating these characters into the wider MCU.  She Hulk is being introduced in a sitcom, so audiences will now only know her as a sitcom character. So how does she now fit into a more serious movie like Infinity War?  Does that automatically pull the audience out of the movie, or will it just make the character not fit.  For instance, take any of the characters from a show like Friends, say Rachel.  So we have the established Racheal character, and we are now going to place that exact character into ER (staying with network TV).  Can audiences still except that same character in a difference genre? Does it become disjointed?  Would it be distracting?

Interesting comparison, and I'm curious if you knew this when you posted - but the reverse actually did happen: Noah Wyle and George Clooney showed up in a Friends episode as their characters from ER. My girlfriend (now wife) and I at the time were huge Friends and ER fans, and we loved it. But I feel like audiences today are much more cynical and stunts like that are less of a novelty. And going from a serious show to a sitcom is easier too because it's more playful. I agree with you that it could feel really strange to try to fit a sitcom character like She-Hulk into a more serious MCU movie.

I absolutely loved WandaVision because of how it played with the TV genre tropes and fit that into the more serious nature of the movies and the broader narrative - I thought Wanda was one of the freshest things I've seen from a "TV show" in a long time. But what Wanda did right, it seems like She-Hulk does exactly wrong; it wants to fit a specific genre and doesn't do it well, and that will be a tough translation in other MCU properties.

On 9/17/2022 at 8:02 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Interesting comparison, and I'm curious if you knew this when you posted - but the reverse actually did happen: Noah Wyle and George Clooney showed up in a Friends episode as their characters from ER. My girlfriend (now wife) and I at the time were huge Friends and ER fans, and we loved it. But I feel like audiences today are much more cynical and stunts like that are less of a novelty. And going from a serious show to a sitcom is easier too because it's more playful. I agree with you that it could feel really strange to try to fit a sitcom character like She-Hulk into a more serious MCU movie.

I absolutely loved WandaVision because of how it played with the TV genre tropes and fit that into the more serious nature of the movies and the broader narrative - I thought Wanda was one of the freshest things I've seen from a "TV show" in a long time. But what Wanda did right, it seems like She-Hulk does exactly wrong; it wants to fit a specific genre and doesn't do it well, and that will be a tough translation in other MCU properties.

They played doctors for the Cameo on Friends, they were technically different characters, I looked it up.  Clooney's was named Dr Mitchell, but it is a good point.

Edited by drotto

On 9/17/2022 at 8:04 PM, drotto said:

They played doctors for the Cameo on Friends, they were technically characters, I looked it up.  Clooney's was named Dr Mitchell, but it is a good point.

Ah, good call - my memory ain't what it was! :tonofbricks:xD

On 9/17/2022 at 5:47 PM, skypinkblu said:

Unfortunately another episode where I cringed. Her Lawyer was much more likeable than She Hulk was...and she gave good advice.

Hi Shar! What I don't get is you cringed but a woman lawyer in this ep was much more likable and gave good advice? Can't we find good role models even in secondary characters?

:hi:

Edited by PovertyRow
misspelled find as fond ... oy

On 9/18/2022 at 12:05 AM, PovertyRow said:

Hi Shar! What I don't get is you cringed but a woman lawyer in this ep was much more likable and gave good advice? Can't we find good role models even in secondary characters?

:hi:

Knowing nothing about copyright law, confronting the person suing you without council present outside an official meeting (something every lawyer tells a client not to do), not realizing she needed to clean this mess up, and not knowing how to proceed, made Jennifer look incompetent as a lawyer. I know it may not be her area of expertise, but she would have learned the basics in school, and would have needed that information to pass the bar. So the other lawyer looking good by being competent is not a very high bar.

On 9/17/2022 at 9:16 PM, The Meta said:

Good role models come from real life, not tv

Well the negative role model was brought up by Shar here a bit ago. Had you been paying attention you would have, as I did, remember this and understood I was reffing this. ::sigh:

On 9/17/2022 at 10:26 PM, PovertyRow said:

Well the negative role model was brought up by Shar here a bit ago. Had you been paying attention you would have, as I did, remember this and understood I was reffing this. ::sigh:

I made a generalized opinion

Many people mistake this, because they read my posts with a prejudice 

Not saying you do, again, generalizing

I wouldn't want to make a definitive statement on something I know nothing about

On 9/17/2022 at 9:25 PM, drotto said:

So the other lawyer looking good by being competent is not a very high bar.

So we must all remember this reasoning and use it against you every time you try to make a point that is not a very high bar. I didn't realize we were setting high bar standards discussing 1) a tv show and 2) a tv show based on comic book characters.

On 9/17/2022 at 9:28 PM, The Meta said:

I made a generalized opinion

Many people mistake this, because they read my posts with a prejudice 

Not saying you do, again, generalizing

I wouldn't want to make a definitive statement on something I know nothing about

Not mistaking your post as prejudice. Just saying it had no relevance to the context of my post

On 9/17/2022 at 9:38 PM, The Meta said:

I'm sorry? Did I quote you?

Yes. you actually Did quote me

(edited to add) Looking up you actually quoted me twice within these same few minutes on the role model topic.

Edited by PovertyRow
reason inside post

On 9/17/2022 at 10:16 PM, The Meta said:

Good role models come from real life, not tv

On 9/17/2022 at 10:49 PM, PovertyRow said:

Yes. you actually Did quote me

(edited to add) Looking up you actually quoted me twice within these same few minutes on the role model topic.

I did not, I quoted you in direct response to you after my generalized post 

Anyways, yes, valid posts, and yes I realized you were speaking to Sky, which is why I didn't quote you, I just happened to be the next poster and I made a generalization that wasn't directed at anybody, but I did happen to post right after you did

On 9/17/2022 at 10:01 PM, The Meta said:

I did not, I quoted you in direct response to you after my generalized post 

Anyways, yes, valid posts, and yes I realized you were speaking to Sky, which is why I didn't quote you, I just happened to be the next poster and I made a generalization that wasn't directed at anybody, but I did happen to post right after you did