• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will a signature increase the value?

5 posts in this topic

Fair warning: I am a complete noob at this so please don't rake me over the coals. I am simply trying to find an answer to my question.

I have a 1st issue of the 1989 A Nightmare on Elm Street Marvel comic that I purchased new when it came out in 1989 and has been stored away in plastic ever since. I have contemplated selling it the last few years. There is a Robert Englund signing coming up in our area soon and now I am wondering if I should get my comic signed first before selling. I can only assume that would increase the sale value on the comic, correct?

My second question is, if I go ahead and sell the comic, I am assuming someone will want verification that Robert Englund actually signed it? Is there a way for me to ensure the signature is authenticated? 

99.jpg

Edited by Daventry

On 8/24/2019 at 4:34 PM, Daventry said:

Fair warning: I am a complete noob at this so please don't rake me over the coals. I am simply trying to find an answer to my question.

I have a 1st issue of the 1989 A Nightmare on Elm Street Marvel comic that I purchased new when it came out in 1989 and has been stored away in plastic ever since. I have contemplated selling it the last few years. There is a Robert Englund signing coming up in our area soon and now I am wondering if I should get my comic signed first before selling. I can only assume that would increase the sale value on the comic, correct?

My second question is, if I go ahead and sell the comic, I am assuming someone will want verification that Robert Englund actually signed it? Is there a way for me to ensure the signature is authenticated? 

99.jpg

Answers:

Question 1. Value: I would say the value is what someone would pay for the book I would look up past sale prices and see if there are any CGC SS out there and how much they sold for to get a average price. you can try sites like GPA, goconnect and ebay to look at past sales.

Question 2.Authentic signature. yes I would recommend doing the CGC signature series for your book there is a lot of info on the correct method to do this on CGC main page. But in short you need a CGC witness the see the signature and handle the comic through to CGC for grading. you can contact a authorized facilitator or if a Con that CGC is at have one of the witnessed from their booth come with you. 

Best of luck. welcome to the boards.

:tink:

32 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

Answers:

Question 1. Value: I would say the value is what someone would pay for the book I would look up past sale prices and see if there are any CGC SS out there and how much they sold for to get a average price. you can try sites like GPA, goconnect and ebay to look at past sales.

Question 2.Authentic signature. yes I would recommend doing the CGC signature series for your book there is a lot of info on the correct method to do this on CGC main page. But in short you need a CGC witness the see the signature and handle the comic through to CGC for grading. you can contact a authorized facilitator or if a Con that CGC is at have one of the witnessed from their booth come with you. 

Best of luck. welcome to the boards.

:tink:

This is all true.

I would add a few qualifiers:  Very generally, the price of the comic would go with a signature over the cost of an unsigned comic.  And just as generally, the realizeable price would increase even more if you had the comic signature witnessed, graded, and encapsulated, especially by CGC (although other companies do exist).  However, one would have to do their own research and math to see if the cost of the signature and the witnessing/grading along with other fees (shipping, insurance, going to the con, waiting time, taxes, etc) outweigh the POTENTIAL increase in selling price over the comic in its current state.  Even then, the achievable price difference would probably depend largely on the final grade of the comic.  Of course geography might also be a factor if you live outside of the US, and you may run into a situation where there isn't enough specific data available, and you need to collect more general data and extrapolate.

After you do all that math and research, you weigh that data against your own financial return on investment preferences (which are of course different for everyone), and make your own best decision for yourself based on your own research and preferences.

Of course this does sound like a lot of work if one doesn't have the requisite knowledge and/or experience, but generally the more effort one puts into research, the better financial decisions they'll make.