• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tools of the Trade

23 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2019 at 1:33 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Does it matter if it .05mm instead of .07mm? The cheaper pens weren't available as .07 mm.

This will likely vary by artist.  It matters to me when working with graphite.  More important though, is the hardness of the lead (at least to me).  

40 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

This will likely vary by artist.  It matters to me when working with graphite.  More important though, is the hardness of the lead (at least to me).  

Since the material was inexpensive, I bought 4H and HB lead, as well as some inexpensive .07 mm lead pencils from Staples. Hopefully, the artist won't mind picking what he wants and putting it in. I did one with the 2 mm pencil lead, and broke part of it off when it didn't seem to fit.

Today was one of those days I wish I had packed better. I went to the Big Apple Comicon where, among other guests, Sy Barry was appearing. Last year, he said his art days were over, so I didn’t expect things to change this year. I also didn’t want to lug my backpack and collection of inks/pencils, sketch pads, or full set of old comic reprints for an artist to use as models since I am refocusing on published art for now.

Well, Sy Barry is drawing again. As the last surviving artist from the Phantom Stranger’s 1951-1952 run, this was a must have. He was willing to do commissions, but he forgot to bring his pens and I didn’t want him to use a marker over his pencils. So, I paid him and he will finish it in his studio in the next few weeks.