• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teen-age Romances 9

11 posts in this topic

I know I'm stating the obvious, but multiple of guide bidding wars for classic romance covers (Baker and otherwise) aren't that unusual, but that is a pretty big chip out of the spine! But after seeing a decidedly low-grade copy of Confessions of the Lovelorn #53 (Alcoholic cover) get bid up over $100 a couple of years back - nothing surprises me.

When serpi moves in, things tend to get a little crazy. He's been moving into Baker Romance for sometime and the prices have moved up right along with him. I think part of it is his agressive biding style.

I'd say it isn't because it's Baker in this case. This is more about the classic (and celebrated) double entendre.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but multiple of guide bidding wars for classic romance covers (Baker and otherwise) aren't that unusual, but that is a pretty big chip out of the spine! But after seeing a decidedly low-grade copy of Confessions of the Lovelorn #53 (Alcoholic cover) get bid up over $100 a couple of years back - nothing surprises me.

With that chip the book grades at what? VG? That is not a bindery chip CGC is known to ignore. Note the lack of a supersized scan hiding othe potential flaws. Are these books in VG scarce? I like Baker as much as anyone but this seems nuts.

When serpi moves in, things tend to get a little crazy. He's been moving into Baker Romance for sometime and the prices have moved up right along with him. I think part of it is his agressive biding style.

I'd say it isn't because it's Baker in this case. This is more about the classic (and celebrated) double entendre.

I'd say it's an irresistable combination of the two. I don't think either element alone would pull bids that high.

Just checked out the other auctions - The Teen-age Romances #18 (VG+) is at $345 (6X guide)! It is an all-Baker issue though, so probably undervalued in the guide, and looks like it may be undergraded - but for that kind of money one can still buy some nice Schomburg War Cover Timely's in around VG ( though that's an ever shrinking list).

I'd say it's an irresistable combination of the two. I don't think either element alone would pull bids that high.

Exactly! This is a classic Baker cover with the famous "THAT LITTLE CHEAT WILL DO ANYTHING TO HOLD " line. blush.gif

I agree its the book also, but serpi has certainly made things more interesting regarding Baker books in general. Check out all the other books by the seller. I've been watching this sellers auctions for a while. Look at his completed auctions. You'll see lots of super record prices.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...s=25&sort=3

BTW I honestly think the book is really tough to find. Took me forever to find mine.

Exactly! This is a classic Baker cover with the famous "THAT LITTLE CHEAT WILL DO ANYTHING TO HOLD " line. blush.gif

I totally missed that! (damn those small scans). I forgot that was the book with that line. My opinion has changed, but not to the extent of paying over $300 for a VG copy.