• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age DC keys? Build a list here...?

37 posts in this topic

Hey guys...I noticed a thread in the BRONZE section about Bronze age keys.

Was wondering if anyone here would be willing to post a list of DC Comics Silver Age keys?

I'll start with what I know...

Batman 155 (1st silver Penguin)

Batman 189 (1st silver Scarecrow)

Justice League of America 74 (1st meeting of golden and silver age Superman)

Spectre 1

Metal Men 1

Strange Adventures 180 (1st Animal Man)

Showcase 37 (1st Metal Men)

Here's a few:

Showcase 4,6,8,9,17,22,30,34,37,55,60 (you could definitely argue a bunch of 2nd and third appearances as well.)

Brave and the Bold 28, 34

Green Lantern 1, 7, (16 cloud9.gif),40

Batman 155 (1st silver Penguin)

Batman 171 (1st silver Riddler)

Batman 189 (1st silver Scarecrow)

Justice League of America 74 (1st meeting of golden and silver age Superman)

Spectre 1

Metal Men 1

Strange Adventures 180 (1st Animal Man)

Showcase 37 (1st Metal Men)

(snuck in another batman issue)

Batman 121- First App. Mr. Freeze

Detective Comics 327- "New Look" Batman

Detective Comics 359-First App. Barbara Gordon Batgirl

Flash 105,

106-First App Grodd, Pied Piper,

110-First App Kid Flash(Wally West)

112-First App Elongated Man

117-First App. Captain Boomerang

123-Reintro of Golden Age Flash

129-First SA of GA Green Lantern,Hawkman, Atom, Black Canary and Dr. Mid-Nite

137-First SA JSA

JLA 1

JLA 12- First App. Dr. Light

JLA 21,22- First JLA/JSA crossover"Crisis on Earth-One and Earth-Two"

Lois Lane 70-First SA App Catwoman

Action 242

Action 252

Adventure 247

Adventure 300

Brave and the Bold 28

Brave and the Bold 29

Brave and the Bold 30

Brave and the Bold 34

Flash 105

Flash 123

Green Lantern 1

Green Lantern 40

Justice League of America 1

Justice League of America 21

Showcase 4

Showcase 6

Showcase 8

Showcase 9

Showcase 13

Showcase 17

Showcase 22

Showcase 30

Showcase 34

Showcase 37

Showcase 60

mega keys all. No second tier stuff.

Dan, why B&B 29 & 30, and Showcase 8 & 13?

I would add My Greatest Adventure 80 to the list.

And if you're going to add Flash 105 and GL 1 to the list, then shouldn't you also include Aquaman 1, Atom 1 and Hawkman 1?

tth2 - - theres always the issue of keys being keys either for IMPORTANCE or VALUE. BB29, 30, Showcase 8 and 13 fall under the VALUE list. And I second your nomination for MGA 80.. And given the choice you raise, id eliminate Flash 105 and GL1 if it meant adding the other lesser #1s since their forst appearances are already included.

tth2 - - theres always the issue of keys being keys either for IMPORTANCE or VALUE. BB29, 30, Showcase 8 and 13 fall under the VALUE list. And I second your nomination for MGA 80.. And given the choice you raise, id eliminate Flash 105 and GL1 if it meant adding the other lesser #1s since their forst appearances are already included.

Aman, that's totally circular. It's like saying they're valuable because they're keys, and they're keys because they're valuable. I don't think a second appearance constitutes a key no matter how much the book is worth. As to whether a first issue, albeit not a first appearance, makes a book a key, I'm ambivalent. However, in any event I would still keep Flash 105 as a key because it's the first time one of the new SA superheroes received his own title.

I thought I was agreeing with you..... as well as trying to differentiate "keys" for their substancs (first appearances) and value (2nd or 3rd appearances and moveovers) I agree with you that Flash 105 is more special than the others, but wasnt Lois Lane #1 the first graduate from the tryout books?

I thought I was agreeing with you..... as well as trying to differentiate "keys" for their substancs (first appearances) and value (2nd or 3rd appearances and moveovers)

I thought you were saying that something can be a key just because it's valuable.

I agree with you that Flash 105 is more special than the others, but wasnt Lois Lane #1 the first graduate from the tryout books?

Lois Lane isn't a superhero, and anyway, she wasn't a new SA character. But if you want to include LL #1 as a SA major key because she was the first character of any kind to get his/her own title post-Showcase 4, I would have no problem with that.

I thought I was agreeing with you..... as well as trying to differentiate "keys" for their substancs (first appearances) and value (2nd or 3rd appearances and moveovers)

I thought you were saying that something can be a key just because it's valuable.

I agree with you that Flash 105 is more special than the others, but wasnt Lois Lane #1 the first graduate from the tryout books?

Lois Lane isn't a superhero, and anyway, she wasn't a new SA character. But if you want to include LL #1 as a SA major key because she was the first character of any kind to get his/her own title post-Showcase 4, I would have no problem with that.

I actually think we are saying pratically the same thing. And basically, we all know and agree what the keys are... the real determinating factor is the length of the list: Top 10, 25 etc. Thats when the hard decisions have to be made. IMO Flash 105 is a much bigger key than Lois Lane #1. But I think I feel that way more because of the sum of its importance, scarcity, and value than any one factor. I just mentioned Lois#1 because you seemed to be saying 105s key status resided in it being the first SA Showcase graduate character. Actually I didnt keep looking, but perhaps even Challengers#1 beat Flash 105 to the stands too,. But I believe we both agre that whenever ot was released, Flash 105 is mas macho than the other 2 books. rright?