• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain Marvel / Shazam Print from ~1941 Signed your pal.
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I have seen it on Hakes before.  Here is one that they had that was signed by Beck.

Also believe HA has had a few of them.

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/98894/CAPTAIN-MARVEL-PREMIUM-PORTRAIT-PICTURE-VARIETY-SIGNED-BY-CC-BECK

Item Description
7x10" on stiff glossy paper. c. 1941. Great action pose w/facsimile signature "Best Wishes - Your Pal, Captain Marvel." Below this Beck (perhaps Captain Marvel's best-known artist) has signed his name in blue felt tip pen. This is variety w/blank reverse and "Captain Marvel Appears Monthly In Whiz Comics" text at bottom margin. There were other varieties of this premium picture issued, see following item #2087. Thin top margin as originally printed, not trimmed. Scattered lt. margin wear, but picture remains bright and clean. VF. The only example of the picture we have ever seen signed by Beck. A superb vintage item to have signed by Captain Marvel's premier artist. Ex-Robert M. Overstreet Collection and comes with Hake's COA.
image.jpg

3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

How did someone go about getting this back in 1941?

At least some of them were sent to theaters (I assume like pressbooks and presskits).  Here is a listing for one like that on HA.  Note the back text.  

Hakes had at least one other I found in a quick search but I have seen them come up and I surprised they don't go for as much as I thought they would.  I liken them to lobby cards as they similar in size.  

I had always assumed they were a mail-away attached to some product like so many other premiums from the GA like the decoder rings, pinbacks and such. 

I know there was a similar one for Spy Smasher.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/serial/adventures-of-captain-marvel-republic-1941-premium-7-x-10-when-republic-pictures-landed-the-rights-to-fawcett-s-com/a/807-4122.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-JumpLot-NextLot-050318

Adventures of Captain Marvel (Republic, 1941). Premium (7" X 10"). When Republic Pictures landed the rights to Fawcett's comic book hero Captain Marvel, they decided to hype the film by giving away these free premiums of the Big Red Cheese himself. This is one of the original samples sent to theater managers and includes printing ordering instructions on the reverse. Shazam! Near Mint.

2794816]&call=url[file:product.chain]2794817]&call=url[file:product.chain]

Here is the Spy Smasher one from Hakes.  It was in the July Hakes auction and came with two items and all three sold for $129.80 which includes the BP.  I didn't link the pics to the pinback and membership card but here is the link - https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/231011/SPY-SMASHER-CARD-BUTTON-PICTURE

Item Description
Spy Smasher was a comic book superhero created by Bill Parker and C. C. Beck, debuting in "Whiz Comics" #2 (Feb. 1940). Alongside Captain Marvel, Spy Smasher became one of the magazine's most popular characters. Offered here are three Spy Smasher items shown in the "Spy Smasher" movie serial pressbook and released in 1941 as theater giveaways and Fawcett premiums. "Spy Smasher Victory Battalion" club membership card is 2.5x3.75" w/member's name neatly inked on provided line. Card has Spy Smasher image and facsimile signature. Card has lt. even aging and is o/w clean and Exc. Rare and one of only a few we've offered in our 52 years. This is the actual example shown in "The Official Price Guide To Pop Culture Memorabilia" by Ted Hake and comes with COA. 7/8" dia. litho button has image of crouching Spy Smasher w/smoking pistol in hand and "I Am A Spy Smasher" text around edges of button. Tiny traces of wear. VF/Exc. 7x10" premium picture has "Hero Of Whiz Comics And Spy Smasher Magazine" text at bottom. Picture has "Death To Spies In America - Spy Smasher" facsimile inscription. Blank reverse. Some minor insect damage along left corners and upper right margin, not affecting image, which remains bright and clean. VF overall.

image.jpg

1 minute ago, bounty_coder said:

Ah, great info @telerites I didn't have my search right on HA when I looked originally.  This really helps shed some light on this piece.  What a fun artifact!

Since I dabble in movie posters and lobby cards, I see them occasionally in auctions.   I would think CGC will grade them since they grade lobby cards and these are 7" x 10" so again similar in size.  I asked if they would grade some Spanish heralds which are not card-stock like lobby cards so more fragile and they said and should be subbed as lobby cards.  

Just now, telerites said:

Since I dabble in movie posters and lobby cards, I see them occasionally in auctions.   I would think CGC will grade them since they grade lobby cards and these are 7" x 10" so again similar in size.  I asked if they would grade some Spanish heralds which are not card-stock like lobby cards so more fragile and they said and should be subbed as lobby cards.  

I'll need to pop this Captain Marvel out and see how well it's been preserved beneath that picture frame :shy:.  May be a great grading candidate!  

11 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

I'll need to pop this Captain Marvel out and see how well it's been preserved beneath that picture frame :shy:.  May be a great grading candidate!  

I have not seen any slabbed so I would contact them first in case you decide to.  I like subbing oddball things like this.  I am sending in a set of Goudey Thrill Booklets from 1934 but I called just to make sure they would grade them.  I have the whole set of 24 with Tracy, Tailspin Tommy, Flash Gordon, and Buck Jones.  They measure only 2-5/16 × 2⅞" and have eight pages.  

Edited by telerites

2 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

Be careful of that inscription. It adds sooo much to the piece IMO.

3 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

Get him out of that funky frame. Lots of acid in that paper. I put mine in a mylar with a full back like a comic book. Fun find!