• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Grading Company! CGG!!

187 posts in this topic

I don't know if this is good news or horrible news-a new grading company has surfaced! www.comicgradinggroup.com.

Items are already showing up on eBay! CGC should sue them though, as once you see their site and services, you'll know why!

This horribly confuses things........once again......CGC price drop?

Any comments!!??

Exactly like CGC's site. I don't get it - seems awfully elaborate to be a simple scam. I saw the sellers on eBay of the CGG books are also located in Oregon - can't be a coincedence.

At $8 a shot for Moderns, I can see them making a ton of cash. Even if resale prices are lower than CGC, the profit margin is likely to be higher for most comics.

They also encapsulate certificates of authenticity, and won't likely hammer down on signature comics, since they don't do signature series [!@#%^&^].

I have no idea about the actual service, but this is the type of "Modern Comics Business Plan" that had to evolve, as CGC's insane Modern price levels, Nazi-like treatment of many signed or certified comics (Qualified Grades to protect their Signature Series), and long turn-around times are just begging to be challenged.

This is exactly what happened in sportscards, and the new entrants made some serious hay with the Modern submitters. Ultra high-grade Gold and Silver will remain CGC's domain, but could see some erosion (if the company turns ut to be on the up-and-up) in the Bronze and Modern sector.

I think they're legit. The names check out, and they have a legitimate website. Figured as much. Lighthouse is in Oregon - maybe he can check them out.

Mmmm...a Jennifer B wrote that she submitted over a hundred comics already! Pretty good for a service with no real advertisement! wink.gif

I believe that the business plan they are stating is what we will see in the future, no matter if this specific entity is valid or not.

The easiest way to make a quick impact is to hit the fat-cat company hard (CGC caters to Gold, Silver and Bronze keys), with lower prices on Modern submissions. Old books have a finite supply, and are heavily encapsulated, but what about the newest issue of USM?

Under this scenario, it's not so outlandish to want a full run of HG Moderns, especially at $8 a shot. Trust me, the cost of grading drives the Modern market, and other card and coin grading companies have found this out pretty fast.

Just for example of the impact, check out how much it costs for a Modern card grade, as opposed to when PSA first appeared.

If this is legit... and I think its a delayed April Fool's gag...

I'm not impressed at all thus far. If this is the best marketing strategy and product launch they can come up with they're doomed.

Consider:

The site is lame and incomplete... and they already have product out without a full introduction and explanation of why the feel their product is an improvement over CGC?

They have a "no-name zero feedback" seller introducing the product ... there's confidence for you.

NO advanced publicity (free or paid) in the CBG or other outlets?

The one big selling point is turn around time... no duh.. no one's submitting yet.... AND speeding the books through may not be an advantage at all... Do they count pages? I want my books checked in that regard.

Although I'd try and have a open mind... I personally oppose the introduction of any new grading company into the mix. I feel even with some of the problems we have with CGC... I'm comfortable with their standard and service (unless I really have to send all my books in every 7 years for maintenance). I think the market could be confused and hurt by another company, especially at this stage of the game... maybe not if they both started within a year of each other... but after this long a gap... I don't like it. I thought I might find it interesting a while back when the subject was brought up... but now, when it seems possible... my gut churns at the prospect.

Hopefully this is a gag

Pretty good for a service with no real advertisement!

Good point....has anyone heard of these guys before now?...

Maybe they are going to advertise in the new OSPG?...seems to me if you are going against the big boys you have to at least make your presence known instead of relying on word-of-mouth... crazy.gif

Yo Bruce, whether it's CGG or someone else, there WILL be new entrants and this will create a new world order for comics. I've said it before, just like CGC changed our view of comics, so too will the competitors change our view of CGC.

IOW, the graded comics speculators have sewn the wind, so let them reap the whirlwind!!

Whether this service is real or not, it doesn't really add to its credibility if you use no name word of mouth! Also, the ad that joe pointed out is so...KEYWORD SPAMMING! crazy.gif

Bruce, why are you worrying about new comics grading companies? If you don't like their service, then don't use them and it's not like they've fire-bombed the CGC headquarters; you'll still be able to get your comics graded by CGC.

Competition is expected, desirable, and is also highly beneficial for both buyers and sellers alike. The only ones who may get burned bad are speculators holding a pile of CGC 9.6-9.8 books that are not keys, and only valuable due to their grade. This is where supply will mushroom due to the $8 grading charge.

Too bad, so sad, but them's the breaks.

I realize it will happen now even though I'm still not sure if this is for real... it appears unfinished and not well thought out.

I heard rumors 3 months ago this was coming, but expected something better than this.

Are you impressed with what you see... or just happy for any legit competition since you don't really like the grading company concept?

I think it will add confusion to the market.

The one point you made about CGG being a better alternative to Moderns sounds plausible and beneficial to everyone, but without a product that does not appear to offer any other advantages... I don't get it.

Why on earth would they launch prematurely unless it was for financial reasons? If they don't have the capital to operate at a loss for awhile... what does that say about the company and its potential success?

A couple of questions/comments.

Who are you? Are you tied in with this "CGG"? You just joined the board a short time ago and have no info in your bio so it looks a little strange,

I read every word (I think) on the CGG web site and I have some nagging questions. What do the holder and label look like? There are no good pictures or descriptions on the site that I could find. How is the holder "sealed"? With a piece of scotch tape over the top of a Mylar? Why is the same lack of detail present in this auction http://www.comicgradinggroup.com./whatcggoffers.htm ?

My opinion? This is BS. To much talk and not enough real, physical product.

I think it's amusing that all the CGC Capitalists are decrying the mark of a true capitalist society: competition.

Competition is good, no question, and if you don't like the service, then simply exert your free will and don't use it. Just like you recommended to the CGC-detractors.

The reason I embrace the concept of competition is that I think CGC's prices are currently too high, their price list is confusing, and in time, their monopoly and freedom to charge what they want would crush the market due to ever-dwindling ROI on Modern comics.

In order to turn graded comics into a long-term, viable market you need competition and lower prices, which in turn increases the viability of current comics to sell in their graded form.

It's not about a competitor being better or worse, it's in offering an alternative choice. They might turn out to be the Linux of the grading world, and help keep the CGC Microsoft beast in check.