• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Grading Company! CGG!!

187 posts in this topic

Mylar is also plastic. The question is, is it a hard shell that is tamper proof?

This is what I've been told...

Plastic holders much like CGC holders. Comic is sealed in a seperate plastic along with the label above in a seperate compartment. Label and comic is in the same plastic but seperate. The holders can be opened and closed.

You can find out more if you call them. I used the number off thier Sub-form.

They been in the business for four or five months now. Surprised nobody has mentioned anything about CGG. Not even the comic mags. But then I knew about them and nobody wanted to hear about it. Still p****ed about that.

I'll find out more after I have some done by them.

Do tell!!

I've often wondered what Gary Carter has been up to since relinquishing the editorial reigns of the CBM

Well, I think it is supposed to still be a secret, so I really can't say anything yet.

But the backers are certainly more well known than the people I just read about on the CGG site.

It's not Gary Carter though - and he didn't really relinquish the reigns over at CBM, shortly after selling the magazine to Geppi, he was forced out. And as much as I like Gary on a personal level, I found it kind of Ironic as he had kind of done the same thing to Jon Warren earlier at Overstreeet.

But anyways - get ready for a THIRD grading company real soon.

I, (and I'm sure most others on this board) have been hearing this same thing for a while. There was supposedly going to be a new company by last fall. I'm not doubting you, just wanting to know what to expect.

Also, by the sounds of it, these "backers" are big dealers, or have been big dealers at some point? If so, does anyone else find that troubling?

Sorry about the lack of recognition first time around...probably not intentional...just the idea is still tough to fathom. may I ask what books you are submitting? Something along the lines of USM 1 white cover variants or pre 100 ASM's for resale? Or did you just want your run of X-men 300-current or Thor 400-500 slabbed for cheap?

Not a pot shot, just a serious question. I have plenty of 9.6 and 9.8 prescreen rejects from CGC that I would like to put to the CGG test just to see how they compare and would rate these guys.

Good luck and I hope you'll post the results here! grin.gif

Is it Darthdiesel?

That would definitely be a fly by night grading company if it ever came to pass.. let's say I had the money for this and the suppliers, where do I find the time out of my busy Overstreet advising schedule to devote time to grading comics? tongue.gif

If I were the 3rd company, I would have told you all about it by now...

The overall concensus here seems to be that it's a sham. Why is it automatically assumed that because the initiators of CGG company don't have enough funding to spend 2 million dollars on Gold and Silver age, slab or reslab the books in CGG holders, sell them through their own Auction House to THEMSELVES at incredible multiples of guide, then DO THAT AGAIN with the SAME books, 6 months later, re-winning them at even HIGHER multiples thereby putting EVERYBODY in the hobby on notice that CGG books are the way to go, that their intentions are not valid? The owner(s) may be dealers, they may be crooks, they may be saints, they may be ANYTHING at this point. It's WAY, WAY too early to tell. I'm neither for nor against them at this point and will reserve judgement until I see enough examples of their grading and encapsulation. EVERYBODY starts at ground level, unless you're starting with Mega$aurs wallet.

Why is it automatically assumed that because the initiators of CGG company don't have enough funding to spend 2 million dollars on Gold and Silver age, slab or reslab the books in CGG holders, sell them through their own Auction House to THEMSELVES at incredible multiples of guide, then DO THAT AGAIN with the SAME books, 6 months later, re-winning them at even HIGHER multiples thereby putting EVERYBODY in the hobby on notice that CGG books are the way to go, that their intentions are not valid?

That just needed to be reiterated. Excellent point.

Nicely put.

I agree, it's too early to cast definitive judgement, but not to ask questions. It's necessary to have critical discussion, as it may help to avoid a potential scam.

>>I agree, it's too early to cast definitive judgement, but not to ask questions. It's necessary to have critical discussion, as it may help to avoid a potential scam.

Given hammer's comments, this has to be the most ironic statement imaginable. grin.gif

To that I say: Too late!!

Rick

I don't believe these guys will have an ad in the OSPG; OSPG has some deadly deadlines for new ad placements; if you've been a regular, its one thing, but for a new kid on the block, you practically have to start calling their ad people as soon as the new guide comes out for an ad in next years guide. Prices are pretty steep too! On the other hand, I could well see that they spent all their money on a full-page ad, or a leaflet in the OSPG, and put the rest into their site development smirk.gif

Rumor Mill News:

>>I just heard from a very reliable and trusted source that the 3rd grading company that will soon emerge will be comprised of the former head grader and president of PSA... now know as Global. I was given a few names, but since this is not something my source or I can present facts on... I'll leave it at that. One name I recognized instantly... let's see if this is accurate or not<<

Not sure if this CGG company is legit or not but in any case it is about time CGC had some competition.

As JC has illustrated in his posts on this thread competition can only be a good thing for the market and can only help CGC to perform better. The release of grading standards would be a good starting point.

At the moment we are buying graded books somewhat blindly, relying on comparison to determine the criteria used to grade the books. With the introduction of a new grading company, and the inevitable release of standards, the buyer will be able to make a more informed choice based upon what standards he is prepared to accept. A good thing for the hobby IMHO.

Some miscellaneous comments:

• You guys are right, that label is a laughably bad rip-off. Exact same design, only inferior in the way they switched the comments about the interior with the title/issue grade. In the Western world, we read from left to right; so important info goes as far left as you can get it. The most important info on a graded comic is the title, issue, grade, and page whiteness. They put this over where you see it second! Graphically unsound. Also, everything besides the placement of the two main text areas is an exact ripoff of CGC. I agree with someone else's comment in the thread, CGC has a potential lawsuit against these guys if they don't change.
  • If they haven't advertised publicly, what's up with the user testimonials? The people making the comments would have to have some kinds of ties with the company to be giving testimonials, so they totally lack credibility.

I guess my biggest question is, why make the scans so small and provide almost no info about the case? Besides the quality of their grading, the case is what I'm most interested in. I've heard several credible ideas for improving CGC's case; I'm curious as to whether theirs is any better. To be honest, CGC's case is quite impressive--which I credit to the experience of the Collector's Society in making coin and card cases before the current comic case--and I doubt CGG will improve upon it. But I hope they do.

...You mention you think the new company's release of their grading standard is inevitable... Why is that? Maybe they would prefer not to be pinned down and under additional scrutiny to perform under the clear guidelines they set... that could be a pretty tough task with comic grading. I'm not so sure that would be a given.

Maybe the idea that competition will help in some way is valid... but I have concerns about the confusion it could create as well.

Aside from the positives JC cited... is it possible that newer people to the hobby and the less experienced (not to mention some of us) may be confused and/or apprehensive with the choices and retreat?... rather than continue to buy graded books and keep the market healthy? I know this concern really matters not as its going to happen regardless... I just wish it was happening when the market was on a upswing, not a downturn. oh well, we'll see.

I am all for competition as well but right now another company only brings another level of complexity to buying slabbed books. If you troll the cards threads you hear [!@#%^&^] like "well of course an SGC 77 is really the equivalent of PGA 84" WTF. Are we going to have scorecards????? Will a CGG 9.6 be the equivalent og a CGC 9.4 ? Will CGG downgrade for offcutting but CGC won't? Bloody hell, this industry is getting way too complicated and why now when the bloom is off the rose would new entrants want to come in.

I hope this is an April Fool's joke.

i'm wondering what the effect of a second grading company grading moderns for $8 a pop will do to the values of current high-grade moderns? consider over-hoarded keys like ASM 300 - how will it affect the prices of copies in CGC 9.8?

if EVERYONE starts submitting their books (and at $8, why not?) - that would lead to an incredible quantity of HG slabbed modern keys that could only drive prices way way down...