• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Streaming service wars news and trends
4 4

529 posts in this topic

Fox’s ad-supported streamer Tubi has struck a deal with Warner Bros. Discovery to stream DC movies including “The Batman,” “Suicide Squad,” “Black Adam,” “Wonder Woman” and “Aquaman,” as well as superhero series “Batwoman,” “Gotham” and “Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.”

The above film titles, as well as “Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn),” “Green Lantern” and “Wonder Woman 1984,” will hit Tubi’s on-demand lineup in 2024.

Available as of Tuesday are “Batman,” “Batman Returns” and “Batman Forever,” as well as “Superman: The Movie” and “Superman II,” and TV series “Batwoman,” “Gotham” and “Krypton.”

“Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman” will begin streaming Dec. 31.

Also coming in December are DC animated movies “Batman: Death in the Family,” “DC Showcase: Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam,” “The Death of Superman,” “Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox,” “Son of Batman” and “Superman/Batman: Public Enemies,” plus the series “Stargirl” and “Swamp Thing” and the film “Constantine.”

On 12/12/2023 at 8:09 AM, Bosco685 said:

Tubi is fast becoming a favorite streaming service. Ridiculously infrequent/brief commercials and an ever expanding lineup. No cost and just by creating a profile (email/pw) you can browse and save to your favorites list. I'd call it the "poor viewers Netflix" but it is really gaining respectability in its own right.

Just as an aside I have chugged all of my streaming (Hulu/Dis, Max, Netflix etc) down to "with ads". The ads on these platforms are SO much more infrequent that you see on cable or broadcast. Just enough time to get a bev/ snack or tend to ::ahem:: used bev/snacks!

On 12/26/2023 at 5:36 PM, PovertyRow said:

Just as an aside I have chugged all of my streaming (Hulu/Dis, Max, Netflix etc) down to "with ads". The ads on these platforms are SO much more infrequent that you see on cable or broadcast. Just enough time to get a bev/ snack or tend to ::ahem:: used bev/snacks!

I feel compelled to add "for now..." to this.

Because we all know it's just gradually going to get worse and worse until streaming is just like network.  Unless you pony up for the premium version.  Which just takes us right back to the old network TV days, when HBO came around offering (uncensored) movies without adds.  

Everything goes around and comes around.  

On 12/4/2023 at 8:28 PM, Axelrod said:

I am trying the Black Friday Paramount+ deal (3 months at $1.99 each) to binge some Star Trek shows.

But I gotta say, it's the worst app/streaming service I've ever tried.  Has anyone else experienced this?

(1) the ads.  I know the "deal" comes with the ads, and I was fine with that.  What I am not fine with is the ads playing at a volume roughy 2x that of the actual show.  They are deafening.  To the point where you simply have to mute them, and I'm just watching the entire show with the remote in my hand to reflexively hit the button as soon as they are about to start.  

(2) and then, after the ads have played - at random times - the show jumps back and starts playing from an earlier point in the program.  You have to then fast-forward to get back to where you left off (thankfully, the ads do not play again when you do this).  I have never experienced this before.  It is not consistent.  Sometimes it does it.  Sometimes it doesn't.  It's just...wild.  

(3) random freezing.  Again, usually while the ads are going, sometimes the whole thing just...freezes.  And you literally have to exit and restart to watch some more.  

(4) one time the "auto narration" feature started playing randomly.  I had never experienced this before, and I had to look up online how to turn it off again.  

The cynic in me says they do this to make the experience of watching with ads so miserable that you will pony up and pay for for the subscription without the ads.  But that just seems so crazy to tank your own service like that.  This is not making me want to subscribe to Paramount+ without ads.  It's making me want to never watch any of their stuff ever again.    I had the Hulu with ads deal before and didn't experience any of these issues.  

/rant

It’s the same for me. Everything really pissed me off.

On 12/27/2023 at 5:01 AM, Axelrod said:

I feel compelled to add "for now..." to this.

Because we all know it's just gradually going to get worse and worse until streaming is just like network.  Unless you pony up for the premium version.  Which just takes us right back to the old network TV days, when HBO came around offering (uncensored) movies without adds.  

Everything goes around and comes around.  

There is some truth in your words! This is actually true..

On 12/26/2023 at 5:36 PM, PovertyRow said:

Tubi is fast becoming a favorite streaming service. Ridiculously infrequent/brief commercials and an ever expanding lineup. No cost and just by creating a profile (email/pw) you can browse and save to your favorites list. I'd call it the "poor viewers Netflix" but it is really gaining respectability in its own right.

Tubi, Freevee and Pluto TV. Right now are the best. I could watch Godzilla movies and Three's Company reruns all day. Yes, they both have 24/7 channels on Pluto TV. Along with a Star Trek and Doctor Who channels. 

Nothing better than laughing at John Ritter's jokes and looking at Suzanne Summers legs . Hahaha lol

On 12/27/2023 at 12:17 PM, Bosco685 said:

image.thumb.png.91eb56993351756da6018d1d238b1e0c.png

Probably not worth my while going ad-free, as with attention deficit I can barely go 20 minutes without breaking off onto something else.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Scott Stuber is leaving Netflix. The chairman of Netflix film since 2017, he will be leaving in March to start his own media company.

This has been in the works for some time, as rumors were rampant he had a different philosophy than Netflix toppers, whose prime focus has always been to make premium movies to be consumed by streaming. Other streamers have evolved into a theatrical first window for many of their big budget films, as Apple did in securing traditional distributors to globally release films like Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon. While Netflix has acquired some posh theaters in qualifying cities like New York and Los Angeles, its business plan is mainly global streaming without the giant P&A spend needed for films to do big movie house grosses.

On 1/23/2024 at 5:51 PM, Bosco685 said:

image.thumb.png.f308d9131322e20c4a46a7af2001f658.png

What's that put their PE at? 45?  I think I sold it when it hit $350 since there was just no way it could justify that price - 

Stupid.gif

On 1/24/2024 at 8:57 AM, 1Cool said:

What's that put their PE at? 45?  I think I sold it when it hit $350 since there was just no way it could justify that price - 

Stupid.gif

Current PE on Netflix is 48. Up from 29.2 at the end of 2022, but below their historical average of 129.5 over the last 10 years.

On 1/23/2024 at 5:51 PM, Bosco685 said:

image.thumb.png.f308d9131322e20c4a46a7af2001f658.png

Maybe cracking down on account sharing and raising prices wasn't a deal breaker for people after all.  People can afford to pay an extra $7 a month to add people to their account after all?

Edited by 1Cool