• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Streaming service wars news and trends
4 4

529 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2023 at 7:26 PM, Bosco685 said:

The company proving the jobs needs to be able to make money, because if it fails to do that it will provide no work. While the writers deserve fair compensation, and some individuals are likely overcompensated, a business losing money can't necessarily afford to hire more people at higher rates.  WB financial issues have been well documented, and Zalzlov has been the one making massive cuts.

It is really not hard to understand what is happening here. Not sure how people do not understand how the world works.

On 8/10/2023 at 11:29 AM, Bosco685 said:

They also lost 300,000 subscribers in the US and Canadian markets.  They did gain about 800000 in other markets excluding India.  In India they got destroyed losing 12 million subscribers.  The only concellation is those subs only earn them like $1 per month, and are tied to losing the streaming rights to Cricket.

Overall however, Disney + subs are down. Not sure where they are going to start gaining people especially in the most profitable market, namely the US. Also the merger with Hulu is coming, but it remains unclear what that is going to look like. Most people seem to think Hulu will become a blade on D+.  The risk with that is as follows. One Hulu is currently profitable, D+ is not. Two will Disney lose Hulu subscribers that have no interest in Disney content if it becomes a subset on another services? Three, how much subscriber overlap exists between the services?

I think I can see why these guys are hiking prices. We've only got D+ because it's bundled with our phone bill (along with Hulu). I'd be hard-pressed to pay for D+ on a monthly basis if I didn't get it for "free". Currently, Netflix is the only thing we pay for. D+, Hulu, Amazon and Paramount (through Wal-mart subscription) are all free with bundles or services we use. I don't know if that's the future of this stuff (to be bundled), but it sure helps.

On 8/10/2023 at 6:23 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I think I can see why these guys are hiking prices. We've only got D+ because it's bundled with our phone bill (along with Hulu). I'd be hard-pressed to pay for D+ on a monthly basis if I didn't get it for "free". Currently, Netflix is the only thing we pay for. D+, Hulu, Amazon and Paramount (through Wal-mart subscription) are all free with bundles or services we use. I don't know if that's the future of this stuff (to be bundled), but it sure helps.

I've got it w/ my Amex card; Hulu I've used but D+ have only watched the GOTG X-Mas special. No way I would pay for it otherwise.

Disney is in talks to sell off its ABC network and local TV stations, according to a report from Bloomberg. The entertainment giant reportedly met with Nexstar Media Group, which owns dozens of local news stations, to discuss a sale.

Disney’s response to the report is a denial that it has reached a deal to sell off ABC or any of its other linear properties. In a statement published on its website, the company says it’s “open to considering a variety of strategic options,” but it hasn’t made an official decision and that “any report to that effect is unfounded.”

Sources tell Bloomberg that the talks between Nexstar and Disney are still early and that a price hasn’t yet been named. Another source tells the outlet that Disney is also considering selling ABC to Byron Allen, the CEO of Entertainment Studios, which owns several stations, such as The Weather Channel.

I miss the early days of streaming Netflix where it seemed like every movie/show was on it and you only had to go to one place to watch.  It is understandable why every studio wants their own platform now based on how well Netflix was doing then, but what they all seem to have forgotten is that one of the reasons Netflix did so well is they had all the content in one place.

I smell price hikes coming!

You haven't been paying a fair price for your streaming services. Warner Bros. Discovery CFO says: 'I think that's in the process of being corrected'

"For a decade in streaming, an enormously valuable amount of quality content has been given away well below fair market value, and I think that's in the process of being corrected," Gunnar Wiedenfels said at the Bank of America Securities Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference last week. "We've seen price increases across essentially the entire competitive set."

Wiedenfels noted what has become more and more evident to Hollywood in the last couple of years: The streaming model — as pioneered by Netflix and adopted by the likes of Hulu, Disney+, and Max — was never meant to last.

For years, the platforms offered libraries of content, including content that was very expensive to produce, for relatively low prices in the hopes of achieving subscriber growth.

As Insider's Matt Turner summed up: "Streaming services have been underpriced in the name of attracting critical mass."

On 9/20/2023 at 8:22 AM, Bosco685 said:

I doubt it will help.  People are already tired of paying for multiple services.  If they all go up, they will drop one, or may start rotating subscriptions. 

On 9/20/2023 at 12:27 PM, drotto said:

I doubt it will help.  People are already tired of paying for multiple services.  If they all go up, they will drop one, or may start rotating subscriptions. 

Currently, I have HBO Max, Hulu and Paramount Plus. I seem to enjoy those more than others.

But man, there are many days where I watch nothing on those platforms for days until an active show episode drops. So there are definitely too many streaming services even with the three.

On 9/20/2023 at 12:27 PM, drotto said:

I started the rotation model recently and it is the way to go.  Currently I am using a promo for Starz. As soon as finish the Power Series, John Wick 4, and Heels, I will drop it and decide what to watch next.  Netflix and Prime are the two I keep permanently as of now.  I had already paid for HBO for a year but I will most likely let it go for a while after the term ends. 

On 9/20/2023 at 8:22 AM, Bosco685 said:

LOL
VPN + [insert favorite 4k x265 seven seas site] + PLEX Media Server
That being said, I have gone to many more movies this year for the prestige theater experience vs my home theater.

On 9/20/2023 at 2:17 PM, CAHokie said:

I started the rotation model recently and it is the way to go.  Currently I am using a promo for Starz. As soon as finish the Power Series, John Wick 4, and Heels, I will drop it and decide what to watch next.  Netflix and Prime are the two I keep permanently as of now.  I had already paid for HBO for a year but I will most likely let it go for a while after the term ends. 

I am moving, and will be out of region for my favorite team. I might have to suck it up and get ESPN + for the season.  Will likely drop it during the off season.