• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Just Bought a NEW Comic Book
1 1

102 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

It's debatable as to how popular and in what circles, but a front cover of this type of book?  Really?

Hey @kav Silver Sable is pretty "hot" right now, throw her on there too.

wait a minnit where is this silver sable screen cap pls

Just now, sagekilz said:

:foryou: 

Was a joke, she's not on the cover but why not right?!

pretty sure if you were in the conference room discussing this 'iconic' cover and mentioned her she'd pop right up-

10 minutes ago, kav said:

Didnt even know who that was.  Out she goes.  I see this cover as obvious and pathetic pandering.

Including popular characters = pandering? What do you want them to do? Have the cover consist of NFL Superpro and Team America and sell all of 10 copies? 

1 minute ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Including popular characters = pandering? What do you want them to do? Have the cover consist of NFL Superpro and Team America and sell all of 10 copies? 

No I only have a problem with characters who have been around for about 10 minutes, all of which strangely are female.

1 hour ago, kav said:

It's always good to put a character thats been around for about 10 minutes to help represent '80 years of comics' and just go ahead and leave off the hundreds of other iconic characters.

Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 12.07.07 PM.png

whatcha person_without_enough_empathying about now they got the main characters on the cover iron dude, big grey guy (err I mean green), star shield bro, some spidey dude, a cat, blind homie dressed in red, some mutated people, why would you read any of the other characters books lol

I am sure invisible woman is in there just using her powers to be invisible... you know... 

:foryou:

Just now, Crimebuster said:

There are 18 characters on the cover. 13 of them are men.

What's the problem?

The problem is, of the 5 women on the cover, 4 of them are new characters.  No Sue Storm, no Jean Grey, No Black Widow-no we got the new ms marvels and squirrel girl and gwenpool.  Do you think this is a good female representation of '80 years of Marvel'?  

46 minutes ago, kav said:

oh lord it is squirrel girl-boy this cover is top heavy with characters that have been around for only 10 minutes.  :pullhair:  Gwenpool and punk rock captain marvel too?  Hey why only recent female characters on cover-some kind of PC deal??

Of the three most recent characters, two are female and the other is (obviously) male. (shrug)

Breakdown:

18 characters. 13 male. 5 female. 1 1940s. 0 1950s (what a shock! lol) 7 1960s. 5 1970s. 0 1980s. 1 1990s. 0 2000s. 3 2010s. Plus the current Captain Marvel for whom I'm not going to list a decade for obvious reasons.

I'm kind of surprised that Deadpool didn't sneak his way in there, but whatever.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Of the three most recent characters, two are female and the other is (obviously) male. (shrug)

Breakdown:

18 characters. 13 male. 5 female. 1 1940s. 0 1950s (what a shock! lol) 7 1960s. 5 1970s. 0 1980s. 1 1990s. 0 2000s. 3 2010s. Plus the current Captain Marvel for whom I'm not going to list a decade for obvious reasons.

I'm kind of surprised that Deadpool didn't sneak his way in there, but whatever.

5 female characters 1 1970s 4 2010s.    This represents '80 years' of the marvel female contribution.  Its insulting.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

The problem is, of the 5 women on the cover, 4 of them are new characters.  No Sue Storm, no Jean Grey, No Black Widow-no we got the new ms marvels and squirrel girl and gwenpool.  Do you think this is a good female representation of '80 years of Marvel'?  

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Breakdown:

come on guys you know sue storm is in there you just have to look harder. 

and we all know Deadpool is the one really in the Iron man suit. 

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Squirrel Girl is far from a new character. She was created in 1991, by Ditko of all people. And how do you define a character? Carol is an old character using a new name, while Kamala Khan is a new character using an old name. If one counts for the new name, then the other counts as old for that very reason.

There's also no Gwenpool on that cover. If you're going to complain and declare it this and that, but be ignorant of the basic characters, it throws your whole argument out the windows, as you obviously don't know much about modern Marvel. And that's fine, I'm not into a lot of modern Marvel stuff either, but geez, we as fans need to know our place. If you're a fan of the 80's, that's great, but it's unfair to be angry that the company no longer conforms to that world-view, be that for the better or the worse. 

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Try 1 1960s, 1 1970s, 1 1990s, 2 2010s. (shrug)

help me out here-

squirrel girl

gwenpool

kamala khan

punk rock iteration of ms marvel

We're not talking the ditko original squirrel girl or the buscema ms marvel these are all modern iterations of these characters.  

Better representation of '80 years' would have been Mary Marvel, black widow, sue storm, elektra, then maybe gwenpool or whoever that is.

Just now, kav said:

Better representation of '80 years' would have been Mary Marvel, black widow, sue storm, elektra, then maybe gwenpool or whoever that is.

I agree, the correct way to celebrate 80 years of Marvel is with DC characters.