• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant's HARBINGER from Paramount (TBD)
1 1

51 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Another note - if it's Paramount, wonder if they'll try to give Tom Cruise a role.

He's their biggest star, and they've backed the Mission Impossible films, Jack Reacher films, Top Gun 2, and Cruise's forthcoming Luna Park.

Just saying...he could be an interesting Harada.

No, let's not white wash that role. 

9 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Found it... 

Classic Media bought the Gold Key and Dell libraries back in the early 2000's

Dreamworks bought Classics Media in 2012

Dreamworks Animation SKG currently owns Turok, Magnus, Solar, and Dr Spektor

https://www.businessinsider.com/dreamworks-will-purchase-classic-media-for-155-million-2012-7

Nice job!

:applause:

I wonder if these characters even register for DreamWorks even has plans to do anything with the characters. Solar Man of the Atom was such a super read, and especially during the Jim Shooter period.

20 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Nice job!

:applause:

I wonder if these characters even register for DreamWorks even has plans to do anything with the characters. Solar Man of the Atom was such a super read, and especially during the Jim Shooter period.

I am up right now trying to sort out NYCC nonsense before I go to work... 

I would think that if anything these characters would be a valuable property to a company headed by Spielberg.  Spielberg is an admitted reader of EC comics from when he was a kid and the fantasy elements of a Native American fighting dinosaurs or a man raised by a robot to defeat rogue robots would be too tasty of a treat to ignore.  In this day and age the most valuable asset is intellectual property.  Why they aren't doing anything with it is beyond me. 

If you go to the Dreamworks website it says: 

Some of the most popular characters in history are now part of the DreamWorks Animation family!

When DreamWorks Animation acquired Classic Media in June 2012, the media company’s robust portfolio of more than 450 characters – including Casper the Friendly Ghost, Lassie, The Lone Ranger and Where’s Waldo? – became part of DreamWorks Animation’s global brand. Under the umbrella of DreamWorks Classics, the studio will continue to distribute content across multiple markets in more than 170 territories worldwide, as well as produce new content that re-imagines many of these beloved characters for the 21st century.

When you do a search on the site though, Magnus, Solar, Turok, Dell, and the term Gold Key yield no results. 

Here is what I am guessing:

On Turok: As much as I would like to see all three make a proper return to the forefront, Turok to me is a no brainer.  You have a Land of the Lost type atmosphere, where a Native American hero is battling dinosaurs.  Who doesn't like dinosaurs?   Maybe Spielberg doesn't want to compete with himself in terms of the Jurassic Park franchise? 

On Magnus Robot Fighter: Perhaps they see Magnus as a Terminator movie type character where the machines are going to take over humanity and only Magnus can stop him?  Maybe they don't want to play in Cameron's area of filmmaking ?  I don't know.  Maybe they don't want to be seen as ripping off the Terminator series despite Magnus being around since the 60's.

On Solar: Maybe they just don't want to enter the superhero arena. I think the Gold Key version of Solar is too generic but I do believe the Valiant incarnation of the character is quite interesting.  Now as I said with Spider-man, (and it looks like I was wrong about that), while Dreamworks owns the character of Solar, does Valiant in some way own that particular incarnation of the character?  If Valiant remade the character in a certain way, Dreamworks may not be able to use Valiant's concept of Solar despite owning the actual character.  Remember when we were talking about Spider-man that this happened when Sony sold off the TV rights to Spider-man to Disney.  Disney had to end Spectacular Spider-man because even though they got the rights back, Sony had the rights to the creation and casting of that particular incarnation of the character and development of the show. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spectacular_Spider-Man_(TV_series)#Cancellation

It's a shame because Turok always proved to be an amazing video game when it was first released.  We can't even get that right now.  It is sad when I have to admit that Acclaim did a better job with the character than a company headed by Spielberg, Katzenberg, and Geffen. 

http://classics.dreamworksanimation.com/

Edited by Buzzetta

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

On Magnus Robot Fighter: Perhaps they see Magnus as a Terminator movie type character where the machines are going to take over humanity and only Magnus can stop him?  Maybe they don't want to play in Cameron's area of filmmaking ?  I don't know.  Maybe they don't want to be seen as ripping off the Terminator series despite Magnus being around since the 60's.

An artist periodically has tossed out doing Magnus as a Saturday morning animated show in the design of Justice League Unlimited or Green Lantern TAS.

Magnus01.thumb.gif.4a5da42e26871ff95db1faf78d89a5eb.gif

So...do the Gold Key characters belong to Dreamworks or Dreamworks Animation?

Asking because Dreamworks sold off Dreamworks Animation to NBC Universal (Comcast) in 2016.

If the legacy license applies to both does that mean Dreamworks could develop live-action movies but only NBC can do cartoons?

21 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

So...do the Gold Key characters belong to Dreamworks or Dreamworks Animation?

Asking because Dreamworks sold off Dreamworks Animation to NBC Universal (Comcast) in 2016.

If the legacy license applies to both does that mean Dreamworks could develop live-action movies but only NBC can do cartoons?

Good find!

Dreamworks Animation SKG is owned by NBC

NBC also has a minority shareholding in Dreamworks (and Amblin) 

I would assume then that NBC owns Turok and the rest of the Gold Key characters. 

@Bosco685

Edited by Buzzetta

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Good find!

Dreamworks Animation SKG is owned by NBC

NBC also has a minority shareholding in Dreamworks (and Amblin) 

I would assume then that NBC owns Turok and the rest of the Gold Key characters. 

@Bosco685

Now you made this my mission. :insane:

That artist I pointed out wants to know who own the film and TV rights as he does want to pitch that animated production. So there is a side benefit to this great discussion. :wishluck:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Now you made this my mission. :insane:

That artist I pointed out wants to know who own the film and TV rights as he does want to pitch that animated production. So there is a side benefit to this great discussion. :wishluck:

So far I keep looking and everything seems to end with NBC.  

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

So far I keep looking and everything seems to end with NBC.  

Sure...but that also may be that no one has yet expressed interest in developing the live-action side. I suspect the live-action rights likely still lie with Dreamworks.

2 hours ago, musicmeta said:

I'm looking forward to the Bloodshot movie but I'm hoping they can get all the major Valiant characters like X-O (My favorite by far), Harbinger, Rai, Solar, Magnus, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman and Eternal Warrior to the big screen and done right.

Sure.

But :gossip:

There already was a Shadowman movie. It was called "Bones" (2001) and it starred Snoop Dogg & Pam Grier.

No saxophone, but not far off from how a properly done Shadowman would look/feel.

And Zero (Shadowman from the Garth Ennis and Matt Broome Acclaim runs) didn't play sax either...

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Sure.

But :gossip:

There already was a Shadowman movie. It was called "Bones" (2001) and it starred Snoop Dogg & Pam Grier.

No saxophone, but not far off from how a properly done Shadowman would look/feel.

And Zero (Shadowman from the Garth Ennis and Matt Broome Acclaim runs) didn't play sax either...

lol  Didn't know that about Shawdowman.  I'll check out the "Bones" movie when I get a chance.  Thanks for the info.

An important point to take note of.

DEADLINE: Valiant Comic ‘Harbinger’ Feature Project Moves From Sony To Paramount (2019)

Deadline has confirmed that the Valiant Entertainment comic book project Harbinger is headed from Sony to Paramount, which is where producer Neal Moritz has had his first-look deal since last year.

The comic follows a group of teens with superpowers who go up against the corporation that tried to exploit their talents. Moritz, who is producing Sonic the Hedgehog for Paramount, will remain aboard as producer with director Justin Tipping, who co-wrote screenplay with Joshua Beirne-Golden, from an original draft by Eric Heisserer.

Dylan O’Brien and Noah Centineo were circling the project, but now it will have a short development at Paramount before going into production. Valiant Comics’ Dan Mintz also is producing. Valiant’s other comic book feature adaptation Bloodshot, starring Vin Diesel, opens on February 21 from Sony.

Since Sonic, upon character redesign, turned out to be a winner this could be the juice needed to move Harbinger forward. Though with Bloodshot Moritz is one of 18 producers/executive producers.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

An important point to take note of.

DEADLINE: Valiant Comic ‘Harbinger’ Feature Project Moves From Sony To Paramount (2019)

Since Sonic, upon character redesign, turned out to be a winner this could be the juice needed to move Harbinger forward. Though with Bloodshot Moritz is one of 18 producers/executive producers.

Harbinger's not currently listed on original scibe Eric Heisserer's or supposed director Justin Tipping's IMDB pages.

And Tipping has a grand total of 8 TV episodes to his name, and no movies.

He's not exactly Brett Ratner.

25 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Harbinger's not currently listed on original scibe Eric Heisserer's or supposed director Justin Tipping's IMDB pages.

And Tipping has a grand total of 8 TV episodes to his name, and no movies.

He's not exactly Brett Ratner.

Dude. You seem to want this not to happen just to fulfill your expectations it doesn't happen. Maybe this could be another Joker situation where you are way off - again.

Time will tell.

47 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Dude. You seem to want this not to happen just to fulfill your expectations it doesn't happen. Maybe this could be another Joker situation where you are way off - again.

Time will tell.

Not at all.

I just submit that Bloodshot's failure this weekend makes a Harbinger film less likely; you seem to maintain the two aren't connected.

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Not at all.

I just submit that Bloodshot's failure this weekend makes a Harbinger film less likely; you seem to maintain the two aren't connected.

Because part of the impact is the actual coronavirus. Theaters operating purposely at half-capacity is a reality.

Not to say a -script being too predictable doesn't have an impact. But put things in perspective a little. Including Paramount just reacquired the rights on Harbinger last year.