• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Spawn #300 Variant Cover L
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I recently inherited a large comic collection (about 1000) from my father. We would go to comic shops and buy some all the time back in the 90s. I haven't bought one in many many years. However, going through all of these comics, getting them ready to sell, has spurred my interest again for my own little collection. I am also trying to go through and clean up, the best I can, all of those comics and give them a rough grade, albeit a novice one. So any help grading this current one would be much appreciated.

I got lucky and picked up a 1:50 variant cover for Spawn #300 (My favorite comic series). When I was glancing over it trying to decide a rough grade before sending into CGC for grading, I noticed a few things.

The cover and back look good, as they should, for a brand new comic.

Cover.thumb.jpg.fc5974aab75382dce73a0f24876be0ed.jpg

Back.thumb.jpg.9e8d024b1a08e0b209e228eec5704a33.jpg

However, I noticed some....chips?? in both the left corners. Is this common on a new book? Is their a term used for this so I know what to call it in the future? Is this considered a manufacturing defect?

153194839_CornerCU.thumb.jpg.5ce7133c005a3d8fa1a5d3e334b9e76e.jpg

1186050361_CornerCU2.thumb.jpg.ffdd0c24ffd4df19f10a828a8dd58918.jpg

There also seems to be slight spine stress.

Spine.thumb.jpg.4ae7762cac1c923f703d24cf7391cc80.jpg

All this just seems odd to me for a book bought brand new off the shelf. But, like I said, I'm a complete novice and haven't really bought a comic in many years. If I had to take a complete noob guess at the grade it would get from CGC using theirs and other's guidelines. I would guess, IF I'm lucky, 9.6 but most likely a 9.4. Is this just how it is when buying new comics? You have to cherry pick out possible 9.8s off the shelf?
Either way, I lover the cover art and plan to get it graded regardless. Just want some advice and tips for the future. Thanks for all your help. It is much appreciated as I learn and grow.

-Jeff-

Edited by Bumpers

Sir, I would think somewhere around a 9.2 if that is a spine crease in the middle of the back cover? hard to see with the glare, with the spine, corner wear, and prints, I just don't know. I hope for the best for you. I have never picked a 9.8 off a shelf, I'm just not that lucky. I hope u are!:wishluck: