• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peacock's BATTLESTAR GALACTICA show (TBD)

9 posts in this topic

Streaming services have changed the expectations of audiences when it comes to how we consume storylines, as a number of streamers debut an entire season's worth of episodes all at once, as traditional TV networks typically only release one episode at a time. Battlestar Galactica is a beloved piece of sci-fi lore that is associated with tackling ambitious themes, with the upcoming reboot of the concept from Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail turning both narrative expectations and release expectations on their heads, as he detailed that the new project is considering an erratic release strategy that would experiment with non-linear storytelling.

“When I spoke to Peacock about it, and Mike Lesslie who’s an amazing writer – he’s the one who’s showrunning and writing the pilot – the one thing we got excited by is do we release an episode a week, [release all at once]?" Esmail shared with Collider. "For me, it was like, let’s get in there and tell the right story and it will tell us how many episodes. We may dump three episodes in a row because it’s a three-episode-long battle sequence that needs to be dropped in a row even though they’re three signifying chapters, and maybe each chapter is switching a point of view within that battle sequence. There may be a 20-minute episode that’s the backstory of one of the characters that gets dropped right after that.”

He added, “So we’re gonna really experiment with form on this one because Battlestar, again, given the rich mythology that’s in there already, we want to hit every nook and cranny and because of the format, because of Peacock and streaming – and they’ve been such great partners with us in trying to experiment – we want to get in the writers' room and let the story tell us how it wants to be released.”

Many would argue that Netflix was a major player in changing the nature of the television landscape, as it helped popularize the idea of delivering audiences as many as 13 episodes from one season of a series all at once. While a number of other platforms have embraced a similar release strategy, certain programs still honor a weekly debut strategy, allowing the conversation around an exciting property to be extended over a longer period of time.

James Callis made his Star Trek debut in this week's episode of Star Trek: Picard, "Monsters," but might be best known to sci-fi fans as Dr. Gaius Baltar from Syfy's Battlestar Galactica. As they say in the show, "all of this has happened before and will happen again." NBCUniversal is currently working on a two-fold reboot of the franchise, with a film in development alongside a new streaming series for Peacock. ComicBook.com had the opportunity to speak with Callis about his role in Picard. Our full interview will be published soon, but we also asked him for his thoughts on the next Battlestar Galactica. He seemed to think it made sense, and he expects the reboot will offer something distinct from the previous iteration.

"I mean, you would do, right? It's an incredible canvas to play with right now," Callus says. "And in fact, every other day that goes on, because we've been talking about this -- this cast as you know, are friendly, we chat with each other all the time, not necessarily that the reboot was going on, because that's been going on -- but then during the pandemic, I remember us discussing, 'My goodness, we didn't really do this.' And then somebody's like, 'No, we did. We did an episode.' I'm like, 'Yeah, but not an episode.' I mean, I'm just saying the whole idea of society going through this pandemic and how that might affect it, and I suppose whatever, as well, politically, oh my God, technologically, again, it would be a very different Battlestar. And I'd say, in much the same way, although set in the galaxy far away, et cetera, it would be talking about, as it should be, right now, and the situation we find ourselves in."

On 9/18/2023 at 1:29 PM, rexinnih said:

The original Battlestar Galactica show is extremely nostalgic for me riding the post Star Wars high in 1978. I do need to give the reboot another chance as I binged all seasons back to back and was pretty burned out at the end. 

The end of that series ruined it for me. 

Spoiler

It turned to be a second tier episode of Ancient Aliens.

Edited by D84