• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How you should ask for a grade . . . Please grade my Avengers #94!

24 posts in this topic

It occurs to me that grades could be more easily given, and understood to a greater extent, if the poster actually took the time to provide us with something like the following:

Structure: flat and tight; staples square on center; complete and intact, no pieces missing, no tears, no soiling, no writing; cover and centerfold securely attached; no bends or creasing.

Page quality: off-white to white in color

Visible defects: 1) 1/16" crease to LRFC; 2) very light wear to the spine corners; 3) few very light stress lines along the spine.

Hidden defects: none

AV94s.jpg

AV94bs.jpg

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Then if the graders actually said why they were making certain dedeuctions, this would help the newbies (and some of the not-so-newbies) understand what is going on.

sumo.gif

gossip.gifOf course, we could all just continue taking the lazyman's route . . .

9.0 VF/NM because of the sm LR corner crease, spine stress, and the wear top and bottom spine and top and bottom edges. How do you know there are no hidden defects? poke2.gif

Dan

Cuz, I read it last night cloud9.gif

hi.gif

I'm sorry, could you provide us with a bigger scan? 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif
And could you outline all the reasons the mandroids are upset with the avengers?

Should we take off some of the grade for books that use names like mandroids? poke2.gif

I'm sorry, could you provide us with a bigger scan? 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif
And could you outline all the reasons the mandroids are upset with the avengers?

Should we take off some of the grade for books that use names like mandroids? poke2.gif

Normally, I would agree with you . . . but if you haven't read this book - you'd be surprised. Parts 1 and 3 are by Neal Adams, part 2 is by John Buscema. The splash page of part three (featuring said "Mandroids") is just an awesome piece of art by Mr. Adams cloud9.gif

It occurs to me that grades could be more easily given, and understood to a greater extent, if the poster actually took the time to provide us with something like the following:

Structure: flat and tight; staples square on center; complete and intact, no pieces missing, no tears, no soiling, no writing; cover and centerfold securely attached; no bends or creasing.

Page quality: off-white to white in color

Visible defects: 1) 1/16" crease to LRFC; 2) very light wear to the spine corners; 3) few very light stress lines along the spine.

Hidden defects: none

That's a great idea. The next book I post will follow this outline.

8.0 + after a second look.

That upper left corner and lower right in combination with spine stresses on the black cover affect the eye appeal. Does CGC have any leniency on black cover books, or do they need to be perfect as all defects show so well.

Nice copy.

That upper left corner and lower right in combination with spine stresses on the black cover affect the eye appeal. Does CGC have any leniency on black cover books, or do they need to be perfect as all defects show so well.

A defect is a defect is a defect . . . that being said, none of the above defects would be appreciably visible on a yellow or white cover. In that context, one needs to be somewhat forgiving of jet-black backgrounds (See, Luke Cage #1, Marvel Spotlight #5, Marvel Team-Up #1, Ghost Rider #1 just to name a few other Bronze Age books.)

Some wear to the top and bottom of the spine, a little chipping along the top of the book, some light spine creases that show up with the black cover and a small crease to the bottom right corner. the back cover looks pretty sweet.

I'd give it an 8.0