• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what was your 1st piece of orignal art you ever brought

49 posts in this topic

what was your first piece of comic art you brought.

the year was 1976 at my local comic shop and it was a dc page from cobra. i want to say # 5 or # 6 by kieth giffen and terry austin. i think cobra was in two panels on the page, total cost a whopping $ 5.00 larry

what was your first piece of comic art you brought.

the year was 1976 at my local comic shop and it was a dc page from cobra. i want to say # 5 or # 6 by kieth giffen and terry austin. i think cobra was in two panels on the page, total cost a whopping $ 5.00 larry

My first art was also $5 a page and also DC mid-1970s. At the 1985 Chicago Comicon I wandered into the dealers' room, was handed a DC pin at the entrance by Julius Schwartz, and shortly thereafter saw the first original art I'd ever seen. Ended up buying three Batman action pages for $5 each and then an Avengers page for $10. Sold the Avengers page upon my return to one of my best "Marc's Comic Corner" customers. The three Batman pages have been lost by my parents ever since I went to college two years later. I know one was the pool table fight scene, which I believe is in the "Evel Knieval" storyline. Batman 270-something?

Also at the dealers' room I saw a semi-big-name dealer (never knew his name) with my Human Torch Timely on his wall. Same guy who had sworn to me two weeks before at a Detroit show that he needed a discount because he was buying it for his personal collection! So many scummy dealers in those days taking advantage of me.

Cheers,

Marc

krazykat. now that,s a first, that has to be the largest amount of cash i everheard anyone spend on a first peice of comic art. i mean like damm you just blew pass the minors and went strait to the pros. ;]

i gotta ask what were you thinking. at the time . was it an investment thing or was it a book you were fond of. or did you just give miss cleo a call. about the future of art. 27_laughing.gif larry

PREACHER #3 Pg16 off of eBay for $125(or so) about 1995/6. Around that time the comic was going for about $40 so I was happy to get an original for that price. It is also the first PREACHER page I ever saw for sale. I had no idea originals could be bought until that week. Man was my heart pounding watching that auction end, and hoping my snipe was high enough and would go through. It was about 9:30pm on a Sunday.

Still on display in the NotSoNice Gallery

Mike

anyone have any PREACHER pages to sell makepoint.gif

I was at a Science Fiction Convention and they were having an auction. There was a picture of a cross between a lizard and a pteradactyl rising from flames, obviously a Phoenyx but called "Demon" by a no-name artist who remains no name today. I was with one of the ladies I was dating at the time and made some little bid and, largely at her urging, ended up buying it for $14.00, as I recall, which was not a trivial sum back then for me. I still have it. Man oh man, it was and is a piece of junk. The oldest piece on my online gallery is entitled "My First GGA". It's poster-sized and charming. The tale of the piece that started me collecting comic art is retold in at least one of my Betty and/or Veronica pieces. It was a routine Betty and Veronica piece by Dan Parent and is not on my gallery.

Mine was a Bill Ward CRACKED page... I'm still searching for the issue! It's the first page of a piece called 'Success in your Chosen Career". I love it... it has a Ward girl AND a monkey! Who could ask for anything more!?!

Sorry... I'm brain dead when it comes to posting pix.