• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel 10c & 12c Circle Price Club!
1 1

356 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Strange Tales 102 5.0 w front.jpg

I can still remember the day I bought my first-and still have of course-copy of this book and number 105.A hot sunny summer day in 1989;I'd taken a few city buses to get to a shady part of town with two comic shops near each other.Those two were the only comics that had ever been on the wall in the tiny cave of a store,run by a big cranky old man that always yelled at the drunks that would wander in,and then everyone else lol to mind their business(usually just me).He had a small counter with a on old register,a chair and these two were on the wall behind him.

It was the last day of business,and I'd been coming by for weeks with paper route money buying up as much of the 50% off stock as I could.I'd meekly asked if the two Strange Tales were half price,they were fifty dollars each,the week before.I got a gruff 25% if they're here on closing day,you can have them half price.So,I looked and looked through the already picked boxes,working up some nerve,went up to,the counter and rascal I am said'I only have forty dollars,would you do that for me'?(prices may be a little off,it was thirty years ago).The guy actually smiled,said yes,and that he'd been sort of holding the books back for me.Took my money,and handed me my earliest most exciting Marvels so far,in my first two mylars :cloud9:

I don't think I even went to the other comic shop that day,I sure don't remember going.I can almost feel the butterflies still I had on the buses home.

Edited by porcupine48

5 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Australian copy of Strange Tales #1 (#105 for us) and it has a circle price of some denomination, so I'll allow it ;) 

Strange Tales 1 3.5 ow-w no label.jpg

Strange Tales 1 3.5 ow-w close no label.jpg

That's a brilliant cover. I love those Australian copies.

11 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Between your two 101s, I think I prefer your undercopy! Obviously I’ve never seen either up close, but props for having two! 

Thanks KJ! It's kinda funny, but I haven't been able to part with either, because they both have desirable qualities. I like the full number box though.

9 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I can still remember the day I bought my first-and still have of course-copy of this book and number 105.A hot sunny summer day in 1989;I'd taken a few city buses to get to a shady part of town with two comic shops near each other.Those two were the only comics that had ever been on the wall in the tiny cave of a store,run by a big cranky old man that always yelled at the drunks that would wander in,and then everyone else lol to mind their business(usually just me).He had a small counter with a on old register,a chair and these two were on the wall behind him.

It was the last day of business,and I'd been coming by for weeks with paper route money buying up as much of the 50% off stock as I could.I'd meekly asked if the two Strange Tales were half price,they were fifty dollars each,the week before.I got a gruff 25% if they're here on closing day,you can have them half price.So,I looked and looked through the already picked boxes,working up some nerve,went up to,the counter and rascal I am said'I only have forty dollars,would you do that for me'?(prices may be a little off,it was thirty years ago).The guy actually smiled,said yes,and that he'd been sort of holding the books back for me.Took my money,and handed me my earliest most exciting Marvels so far,in my first two mylars :cloud9:

I don't think I even went to the other comic shop that day,I sure don't remember going.I can almost feel the butterflies still I had on the buses home.

That's an AWESOME story!!!!

5 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

That's an AWESOME story!!!!

Thanks!I could almost feel that days sunshine on my back retelling it.And I walk by those two old shop locations nearly everyday!Those two issues,and  before that,aTTA 93 in a dollar or two box had a HUGE impact on me and my collecting.Gave me the SA and before bug and I'll likely never part with any of the three.