• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! I bought this CGC 9.8... but isn't it really a 9.6???
2 2

27 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Dr Carl said:

It’s a good point, but I do wonder if it’s a complete narrative.

Say, for example, I own a nice $1K silver age book in a 9.2 CGC case. And I have it on my top shelf for display purposes, and one day I’m rearranging shelves and if falls 10 feet to the ground. I think "oh !" and notice a visible ding in a corner that's from the fall, because I know it wasn’t there before (and I'm thinking there's no way that's a 9.2 with that ding-a-roo!)...

The case still says 9,2 but the book in the case is no longer the one that was graded.

Now, I don’t like the book anymore so I decide to sell it, and take a photo that doesn't necessarily hide the flaw, but doesn't make it apparent at all.

Are we all still of the opinion that you bought a 9,2 and "Suck it up buddy, you bought what you paid for."?

This makes for interesting dialogue... I'll be curious what you think.

Interesting thought-but certain defects like in the OP book could not have occurred from a fall.

22 hours ago, Dr Carl said:

This makes for interesting dialogue... I'll be curious what you think.

I do get your point. However, it seems if "the fall" was enough to cause damage to the book the case would have also have been damaged. But if damaged and then selling because of that and not disclosing damage? Most definitely fraudulent, dishonest and generally just being a crappy human being. Welcome to the world of Ebay.

Edited by WPPJames

On 10/4/2019 at 10:44 PM, Dr Carl said:

No offense intended

I just realized that my "Suck it up buddy, you bought what you paid for" comment might be taken the wrong way. I was referring to Kevin76's post about the buyer who "Said I need to send the book back to CGC to "fix the issue"". Wasn't meant towards you in any way at all. :foryou:

Slab says 9.8 then its a 9.8.  You could drive yourself crazy constantly debating the grades the grading experts give books - better to just go with what they say.  But I'd not crack out a book with those corners since you could easily get a 9.6 on a resub.