• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crow J O'Barr Print
2 2

34 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is where I should be posting this? I'm a huge J O'Barr fan. Purchased this a long time ago. Can't recall where. Probably Ebay. Can't find any Google info on it. Just wondering if anyone here might have some info on it?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1625.JPG

5 hours ago, WPPJames said:

Not sure if this is where I should be posting this? I'm a huge J O'Barr fan. Purchased this a long time ago. Can't recall where. Probably Ebay. Can't find any Google info on it. Just wondering if anyone here might have some info on it?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1625.JPG

I curious myself. Nice print. 

4 hours ago, WPPJames said:

I'm a crazy Crow O'Barr fan. I admit it. @oakman29 is also ?

I certainly am. Probably one of the greatest stories ever told, and it came about from such a tragedy of O'Barr losing the love of his life.

I’m throwing out a guess at the OP’s original post and the print in that post.  It looks to me like the kind of thing artists today commonly sell at conventions (thinking of Adam Hughes, Frank Cho, and others).  It’s clearly numbered and was probably sold by O’Barr to help pay for convention work.  That’s my theory, anyway.

Edited by Randall Dowling

16 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

I’m throwing out a guess at the OP’s original post and the print in that post.  It looks to me like the kind of thing artists today commonly sell at conventions (thinking of Adam Hughes, Frank Cho, and others).  It’s clearly numbered and was probably sold by O’Barr to help pay for convention work.  That’s my theory, anyway.

I would think that you might have hit the nail on the head. 

A sample of his work.😉

Edited by oakman29

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Thanks. That was my guess as well. Back side has "Kodak Professional Paper" stamped all over it. So he probably had it self printed just for a show or convention.

A couple of Crow stories. I pre-purchased Crow #1 1st printing way back in 1989. Unfortunately, I was brand new to the industry and the "subscription service" I used wasn't a true subscription service. Discount was only 20% off cover prices and you only had to order like 30 days in advance of publish date. So they couldn't have truly been pre-ordering. Something about the artwork / preview just grabbed me. Unfortunately it must have grabbed others as well, because the "subscription service" had to ration them out. I forget how many I ordered, but only received 2 or 3 copies. Other story is I went to a convention in 2005 that he was at and had him sign a copy. I still had little knowledge about a lot of the business aspects of comics and didn't have it witnessed (did they do that back in 2005?). I eventually sent it in to CGC. Of course, it came back in a Qualified grade. Last year I was forced to sell it due to financial reasons and the sig I was so proud of actually probably lowered the sales price. 

Crow2.GIF

Edited by WPPJames

2 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

I would love a poster sized print of Crow #1 and the back cover to Deadworld #10 which has the first printed rendering of the Crow on the Back never published elsewhere.

The Pin-Up in Deadworld #12 is pretty nice as well.

On 10/5/2019 at 11:27 AM, Bosco685 said:

This is definitely not from the 1993 James O'Barr The Crow portfolio. I confirmed it just now

It's the only Crow item I have left, except for the 1990 Color Portfolio which I'm currently negotiating to sell on Ebay. Hope to get this one framed. Wish I would have done so sooner as it's beginning to show it's age.

Edited by WPPJames