• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOLY [embarrasing lack of self control]..ADVENTURE COMICS 72 CGC 9.8 ALREADY @ $37500

105 posts in this topic

Would you have said anything it no changes were made, but they thought is was a 9.4 this time?

I don't find lowering a grade of concern so long as there is a corresponding explanation in the grader's notes that allows one to determine the damage that might have happened to the book. Books do get damaged.

Now, if you are referring to an undamaged book that for one reason or the other simply changed grades because it was a different day and different grader(s) then, yes, I would have a problem with that for the reasons stated in my earlier posts.

Had these books remained raw and grades shifted due to a change in who was doing the grading, there would probably be less investigation into why the grades had changed.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Nice try Mr CGC Apologist.

Here we have a MH copy of a key DC, graded initially CGC 9.6 by CGC. Then it was regraded CGC 9.8.. due to an X-Factor.

Do you REALLY believe that in the pre-CGC world, a collector would have paid a premium without CGC telling them it's a 9.6 or a 9.8? We're not talking a VF to a NM+ here bobo.

Joe - I fail to see how your comment pertains to the quote. What does the often absurd premium that some buyers are willing to pay for .2 increments in CGC grade have to do with the notion that in the pre-CGC world such subtle shifts in grading as the book passed from one party to another would have been probably attributed to the subjectivity of grading and not the likelihood of pressing.

Those corners look like bindary damage to me, which would explain why CGC didn't downgrade for those defects.

I doubt the book has been pressed, but I do think it's overgraded. I have GA 9.4s that are signifcantly nicer than this book.

I agree. I don't see how two chipped corners equals a 9.8? Also did you ever notice that on books that appear to have been pressed can sometimes leave a tell tale impression around the staples? Seems like there is more white showing around the edge of the top staples perhaps caused from pressure being placed directly on the staple?

Something definitely happened with that staple. It's right on the spine in the 9.6, but there's some cover showing between the staple and the spine in the 9.8 scan.

Also look at the fartest edge of the tear on the ULC on the 9.6 and compare it with the 9.8....i'd say a 2 mm or so difference.

Actually I would like to know what sane person would re-submit this book as it was & expect to get back the same grade. screwy.gif Huge risk...something I would'nt have done.

I checked this book out in San Diego. It is an absolutely amazing copy. Besides the bindery tears, it is as flawless as you could expect given the materials and production process used during that era. For it to survive all these years is remarkable.

I checked this book out in San Diego. It is an absolutely amazing copy. Besides the bindery tears, it is as flawless as you could expect given the materials and production process used during that era. For it to survive all these years is remarkable.

It is a beautiful book, but compare it to my Fighting Yank #5, a 9.4. It's an old label. Maybe I need to re-sub(that was for you, Mark poke2.gif)

fightingyank5.jpg

IMO CGC's main goal is to make money!!! makepoint.gif the fact that the book comes out higher then before means nothing to them, They grade whats in front of them. I dont think they have someone on the inside track getting better grades then the rest of us because they still get paid either way but I'm sure they knew who sent in this book because how well MH are documented.

The fact that it makes them look kinda shady and makes people question why they dont publish their grading scales is nothing to them they just made 1000.00 for what amounts to about half a hours work. gossip.gif

It is a beautiful book, but compare it to my Fighting Yank #5, a 9.4. It's an old label. Maybe I need to re-sub(that was for you, Mark poke2.gif)

fightingyank5.jpg

Wow that is a nice book I love the look on the nazi's getting hit the one getting punched looks surprised and the one getting the boot looks shocked,

fightingyank5.jpg

Wow that is a nice book I love the look on the nazi's getting hit the one getting punched looks surprised and the one getting the boot looks shocked,

Yeah & it also looks like Fighting Yanks butt is full of lead....wonder what it looks like now??Anyone have a larger pic insane.gif27_laughing.gif Great book for a resub... thumbsup2.gif

Church Adventure #72 is at least 9.6 sumo.gif Anyone saying it's 9.0 should get his brains checked. poke2.gif

You have to remember that we are looking at a mega-sized picture, 2687X4117 pixels.

Those corners are manufacturing defects. Besides them it's flawless, as good it was the day it was printed.

Nearmint: Your Fighting Yank looks like 9.8, but unless you scan it at the same size as Adventure #72 it's impossible to compare them.

Which is exactly why it should be considered an absolute SIN to mess with a Mile High, or other top-notch pedigree book in the slightest! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Church Adventure #72 is at least 9.6 sumo.gif Anyone saying it's 9.0 should get his brains checked. poke2.gif

You have to remember that we are looking at a mega-sized picture, 2687X4117 pixels.

Those corners are manufacturing defects. Besides them it's flawless, as good it was the day it was printed.

Nearmint: Your Fighting Yank looks like 9.8, but unless you scan it at the same size as Adventure #72 it's impossible to compare them.

Arty, I'm sure you're right that it's an amazing book. I guess I'm just questioning whether even manufacturing defects should be allowed at the 9.8 tier.

And you're saying that we need CGC to tell us it's a 9.6 or a 9.8 in order to pay a premium?

Yes, that is EXACTLY what I am saying.

In the 1980's and 90's pre-CGC world I have NEVER seen a comic that a dealer sold as a 9.6 for $X be subsequently resold as a 9.8 for multiples of the original price, just because it is now a "dealer 9.8" rather than a "dealer 9.6".

The kind of CGC multiples we see today simply were not present on already-pristine NM+ books that a dealer may have somehow upgraded from "dealer 9.6" to "dealer 9.8", especially an already-expensive, key Church book.

Personally, I'm more shocked that the Fighting Yank seems to have a camel toe going on. 893whatthe.gif