• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,040 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2022 at 2:30 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 7/16/2022 at 1:29 PM, mrwoogieman said:

Picked through a box of Star Wars comics at a garage sale and grabbed whatever newsies were there. 

C2618870-2EB3-4282-9316-5B8B1FBB6A89.jpeg

FD2D044E-AEBE-48D3-A01A-10A5A0A2C2A1.jpeg

CE768AE5-8E4C-45F8-9861-082F29E83D19.jpeg

BCFE4E38-7E0F-4F12-A018-943B2F608E13.jpeg

D1B79925-374A-4785-9CDD-63B124A632F5.jpeg

Expand  

I'm not familiar enough with the star wars series to pick out "keys" from the series lol

But picking out the Newsstands sounds like an easier way to determine lol

:takeit:

I would have just bought them all. (shrug)

On 7/16/2022 at 9:50 PM, paqart said:

Now all of a sudden I can comment again. I wonder why I couldn't earlier today? I saw something from CGCMike this morning but it looked like he was reacting to a months-old post he'd already seen. Maybe he was considering banning me (again, for the same content) and then changed his mind?

As for talking about comics, that's generally what I do. I got into trouble when I commented on a thread about censoring Spiegelman's Maus. I pointed out that Maus is far from the only comic that has had to deal with censorship and that current editorial trends amount to pre-censorship. I doubt I said it exactly like that but that was my point. While I was at it, I put in a plug for a comic I'd just finished, an anthology, that included work by Michael Golden, Graham Nolan, Chuck Dixon, Mike Baron, Dave Williams, Larry Stroman, and others. So far, I'm talking about comics. Then someone said some nasty and untrue things about Dixon, who I know personally, so I corrected him. After that, a number of people started sending abuse in my direction and I did my best to deflect it. At that point, the "comics" portion of the conversation had effectively been diverted by the people who wanted to say untrue pejorative things about Dixon. The next thing I knew, I had warning points.

I decided to delete my posts on the basis that if the boardies couldn't handle the information, I shouldn't abuse their delicate sensibilities by inflicting it on them. However, I couldn't delete them. So, I did the next best thing, I erased the content and replaced it with the text "Randomly deleted content". That was because I had to have at least 10 characters to change the post and save. Anyway, that got me a lot more warning points and that was what CGCMike was reacting to today, though this all happened some time ago.

It is also why I stopped interacting on CGC at the same frequency as I had previously. Frankly, the entire episode was undignified and unpleasant. I was so disappointed that I wrote an article about censorship and suppression in social media for an online publication I sometimes write for. I did mention CGC as a tiny example of a larger problem seen more widely on better-known sites. Apparently, some of the people on the site were fantasizing about what I might have said about CGC. It's behind a paywall, so they had no idea what I'd written. Most of the article is about social media, not CGC. This is the section most relevant to CGC:

From there I make the point that broad censorship and suppression of certain ideas can be very harmful if the suppressed information is critical to understanding dangers to society, or details of otherwise unknown criminal activity. It makes sense that companies would worry about litigation or reputation in such fraught circumstances but they shouldn't put themselves in the position of assisting bad guys cover up crimes, which is what appears to be happening on a broad scale in America right now. 

The idea that politics can't be discussed is nice but if a politically-themed thread about comics (Maus) or another about something unrelated (Elon Musk) is allowed for dozens of pages, it is inconsistent to ban people replying to posts in the thread but not ban whoever started the thread and all the other people posting in it.

From my point of view, I am far more interested in newsstand comics, Carl Barks, and Frazetta's Famous Funnies covers than these other issues but I don't like seeing falsehoods about someone I know go unanswered. Speaking of which, those remarks, which I consider defamatory, apparently don't violate CGC's moderation policy. The fact that the comments concern a prominent comic book creator who has written more comics than any person in the history of comics should give us pause. If someone like that can't be discussed on a comic book forum, it makes one wonder what can be discussed.

Seems like you're doing it again . . . (shrug)

On 7/15/2022 at 9:14 AM, paqart said:

These are close-ups of the damage on the Heir to the Empire cover. Looks to me like one of 2 things: 1) Paper torn up during sticker removal by razor blade, or 2) Glue left behind after sticker removal by razor blade. I prefer the latter because then there would be hope of revealing color behind the glue but it looks more like color removed to me. Hard to tell. Opinions?

CF071134 2.jpg

CF071134 1.jpg

CF071134.jpg

I'd have to see the electron micrographs . . . :insane:

• Administrator
On 7/17/2022 at 12:50 AM, paqart said:

Now all of a sudden I can comment again. I wonder why I couldn't earlier today? I saw something from CGCMike this morning but it looked like he was reacting to a months-old post he'd already seen. Maybe he was considering banning me (again, for the same content) and then changed his mind?

As for talking about comics, that's generally what I do. I got into trouble when I commented on a thread about censoring Spiegelman's Maus. I pointed out that Maus is far from the only comic that has had to deal with censorship and that current editorial trends amount to pre-censorship. I doubt I said it exactly like that but that was my point. While I was at it, I put in a plug for a comic I'd just finished, an anthology, that included work by Michael Golden, Graham Nolan, Chuck Dixon, Mike Baron, Dave Williams, Larry Stroman, and others. So far, I'm talking about comics. Then someone said some nasty and untrue things about Dixon, who I know personally, so I corrected him. After that, a number of people started sending abuse in my direction and I did my best to deflect it. At that point, the "comics" portion of the conversation had effectively been diverted by the people who wanted to say untrue pejorative things about Dixon. The next thing I knew, I had warning points.

I decided to delete my posts on the basis that if the boardies couldn't handle the information, I shouldn't abuse their delicate sensibilities by inflicting it on them. However, I couldn't delete them. So, I did the next best thing, I erased the content and replaced it with the text "Randomly deleted content". That was because I had to have at least 10 characters to change the post and save. Anyway, that got me a lot more warning points and that was what CGCMike was reacting to today, though this all happened some time ago.

It is also why I stopped interacting on CGC at the same frequency as I had previously. Frankly, the entire episode was undignified and unpleasant. I was so disappointed that I wrote an article about censorship and suppression in social media for an online publication I sometimes write for. I did mention CGC as a tiny example of a larger problem seen more widely on better-known sites. Apparently, some of the people on the site were fantasizing about what I might have said about CGC. It's behind a paywall, so they had no idea what I'd written. Most of the article is about social media, not CGC. This is the section most relevant to CGC:

From there I make the point that broad censorship and suppression of certain ideas can be very harmful if the suppressed information is critical to understanding dangers to society, or details of otherwise unknown criminal activity. It makes sense that companies would worry about litigation or reputation in such fraught circumstances but they shouldn't put themselves in the position of assisting bad guys cover up crimes, which is what appears to be happening on a broad scale in America right now. 

The idea that politics can't be discussed is nice but if a politically-themed thread about comics (Maus) or another about something unrelated (Elon Musk) is allowed for dozens of pages, it is inconsistent to ban people replying to posts in the thread but not ban whoever started the thread and all the other people posting in it.

From my point of view, I am far more interested in newsstand comics, Carl Barks, and Frazetta's Famous Funnies covers than these other issues but I don't like seeing falsehoods about someone I know go unanswered. Speaking of which, those remarks, which I consider defamatory, apparently don't violate CGC's moderation policy. The fact that the comments concern a prominent comic book creator who has written more comics than any person in the history of comics should give us pause. If someone like that can't be discussed on a comic book forum, it makes one wonder what can be discussed.

I believe you have been banned from 2 topics but, other than that, there have been no restrictions on your account since the end of March.  You were given 1 warning for a political post, which restricted your ability to post for 2 days.  When you came back, you made about 14 posts in the moderation thread, where you made long posts  insulting, board members, calling  people names, and making long  comments that again touched on the edge of politics.  So, another 5 points were added to your account for posting guidelines violation, which restricted your posting for 7 days.  Again, this was back in March.

You are welcome to post here as long as you do not violate the terms of use.  That includes but not limited to, no politics, name calling or making posts that will clearly start an argument or disrupt the forum.  If you don't agree with our terms of use and continue to ignore them, you will be banned from the forum.  It's as simple as that.  I think if you just stick to talking about comics, you will be fine.  

On 7/17/2022 at 8:01 PM, CGC Mike said:

I believe you have been banned from 2 topics but, other than that, there have been no restrictions on your account since the end of March.  You were given 1 warning for a political post, which restricted your ability to post for 2 days.  When you came back, you made about 14 posts in the moderation thread, where you made long posts  insulting, board members, calling  people names, and making long  comments that again touched on the edge of politics.  So, another 5 points were added to your account for posting guidelines violation, which restricted your posting for 7 days.  Again, this was back in March.

You are welcome to post here as long as you do not violate the terms of use.  That includes but not limited to, no politics, name calling or making posts that will clearly start an argument or disrupt the forum.  If you don't agree with our terms of use and continue to ignore them, you will be banned from the forum.  It's as simple as that.  I think if you just stick to talking about comics, you will be fine.  

"insulting, board members, calling  people names". I seriously doubt this. Other people on the board did that to me. Maybe you're getting the names mixed up.

In any event, I'll view the politically-themed threads that pop up as honey traps and avoid them. Clearly, it isn't "politics" that is objectionable but perspective.

Getting back to comics, I just lost 5 auctions for Silver Age Marvels. After getting dealt a bad hand with a newsstand Heir to the Empire #1, I'm eager to get something good to make up for it. Hoping to find a UK edition of Avengers # 92 and 100 to complete a run from 92-100. Not a big run but some good issues.

On 7/18/2022 at 8:20 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

20220718_201322.jpg

Just wanted to note that this has a newsstand-formatted ISBN, but to my knowledge is the only version of The Fourth Horseman 1 that exists. There's no separate direct market print. Same goes for #2, and... no, wait, that's all there are.

This was supposed to be an ongoing series, but Fangoria bailed on its comic branch before producing anything past the first two issues of this, which are basically low-dialogue introductions to the first two Horsemen of the Apocalypse. It's impossible to know what they planned for the actual series. As it stands, I can't really say I'd recommend these. There's not much there there, as they say. But they're interesting curiosities at the least.

On 7/18/2022 at 10:18 PM, Qalyar said:

Just wanted to note that this has a newsstand-formatted ISBN, but to my knowledge is the only version of The Fourth Horseman 1 that exists. There's no separate direct market print. Same goes for #2, and... no, wait, that's all there are.

This was supposed to be an ongoing series, but Fangoria bailed on its comic branch before producing anything past the first two issues of this, which are basically low-dialogue introductions to the first two Horsemen of the Apocalypse. It's impossible to know what they planned for the actual series. As it stands, I can't really say I'd recommend these. There's not much there there, as they say. But they're interesting curiosities at the least.

I appreciate the information.  I just found it for $1 and saw the Barcode.  Figured couldn't be too bad for that cheap and wasn't something I had seen before. Oh well. Not that worried about it . Will probably try to read through it then into a box with a lot of these random issues I run across.