• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracking a slab to get a better CGC grade
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I am considering buying this comic and the seller has told me that the comic was never pressed or cleaned.

Do you thing it's worth buying, crcking the slab, having CSS press and clean it and then resubmiting it?

If so, do you think it would go up to 9.2, 9.4 ?

Thanks

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

I don't think there's a way to know if its "worth it" without knowing how much you're paying for it.

also of value would be your ultimate intentions for the book, whether it be to keep, sell (short term/long term), etc.  Also of value would be your preferred return on investment, as everyone has different preferences (which might also be different in the short term/long term).

also of value might be your geography, as your location (at least your country) has ramifications in terms of shipping/insurance for buying, submitting, and selling, and taxes/customs.

OR it might be easier for you to just ask what the general public thinks the pressing grade potential is based on the available scans, and then you can do your own math.  In which case my answer is you're going improve 9.2 max with I'd say at least a 50% chance your grade does not improve, and a small chance the grade drops. 

16 minutes ago, revat said:

I don't think there's a way to know if its "worth it" without knowing how much you're paying for it.

also of value would be your ultimate intentions for the book, whether it be to keep, sell (short term/long term), etc.  Also of value would be your preferred return on investment, as everyone has different preferences (which might also be different in the short term/long term).

also of value might be your geography, as your location (at least your country) has ramifications in terms of shipping/insurance for buying, submitting, and selling, and taxes/customs.

OR it might be easier for you to just ask what the general public thinks the pressing grade potential is based on the available scans, and then you can do your own math.  In which case my answer is you're going improve 9.2 max with I'd say at least a 50% chance your grade does not improve, and a small chance the grade drops. 

Thanks for your input. It all makes sense. The book is pricey 1 000 $US. Regrading would be costly with no guarantee of a better grade. I live in Canada so doing this is more costly. 

9 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:
28 minutes ago, revat said:

Thanks for your input. It all makes sense. The book is pricey 1 000 $US. Regrading would be costly with no guarantee of a better grade. I live in Canada so doing this is more costly

of course everyone is different and has different levels of experience in comics, but unfortunately for people in Canada (or outside the or the UK, if you even have to ask the question regarding most CGC-related stuff (as in its not knock-on-the-head obvious), its not worth it.  If you already submit tons of books or have a mailbox in America, things might be different, but then that level of CGC commitment would mean you wouldn't need to ask the question, you'd already know the answer.

In this case you'd essentially be paying market value on a comic that has jumped recently without being able to look closely at the comic because its already been slabbed.  Pay and Ship to the US.  Pay for pressing (and wait).  Pay for submission (and wait).  Ship/insure the comic back across the border.  That sounds like an $150-$200 USD and 5-6 months with double risk of customs (which might damage) checking (and maybe other fees).  And assuming the comic goes UP (tough to assume) in grade to a CGC 9.4 (which is on ebay now for $1800 but not sold), you've spent $1200 to profit $600 (well after paypal and ebay fees closer to $450).  But if it goes up to CGC 9.2 only, you'd be lucky to break even after fees, and if it stays at CGC 9.0 you've obviously lost money.  Yes of course your analysis may vary and the comic may go up even more with movie stuff, but you're also in Canada which limits your market, makes returns a huge hassle, invites customs issues, and results possibly in currency translation fees.

So for you and others who might read these, these are common types of things to consider when making decisions.