• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OF's Chicago Con report...

60 posts in this topic

Oh man, I've rummaged through Forbidden Planet's stuff at the local NYC shows before and have never come away with anything that nice! Congrats on the pick-ups! Those Boris horror covers are awesome - say what you will about his other work, but his '70s-early '80s work was top-drawer. That Sanjulian Vampi #12 cover is smokin' too!

I went back today and rummaged through their piles again, but I didn't find anything. The guy next to me said that Forbidden Planet was Joe Kotch. Is that true? I did notice a few Comico Primers...

Yeah, Koch had (and still has) a fair amount of Comico Primers, for certain. Koch isn't FP, but he does work with them and consigns a lot of stock to their store.

It makes sense. The craapy "uncirculated" copy Koch sent me of Blazing Combat 3 looks a lot like the stuff FP was selling. The deal I got at the con makes up for that piece of garbage. thumbsup2.gif

originally Forbidden Planet in NYC wa san offshoot of the original in London. A great store in the 80s. It has since shrunk to a much smaller space across the street. Joe Koch owned a different store in NY on the upper West Side, and one in Westchester, but I never heard of any ownership ties with FPNY.

Day 3

I left about 9:00 in the morning and picked up my buddy Bill. After a quick and greasy McDonald's breakfast, we parked in the sub-division I had found on Friday and headed to the con. We walked around for about half and hour staring at the people in costume and the various "star" guests, including the former wrestlers Mankind and Virgil. Since he wanted to look for action figures, we split up with plans to meet for lunch. I headed straight for Daydreams Comics, which was tucked away near Artist's Alley. The guy working the booth was named Zach and we talked for awhile during my perusal of a new bronze and silver collection they had just gotten it. Apparently I was one of the first to look at it. The Batman and Detective books I pulled out looked pristine and uncirculated. I bought four for $60, a great deal considering the Batmans were 9.2/9.4s and the Detectives were 9.0s.

12c.jpg13c.jpg

15c.jpg14c.jpg

After that I pretty much just wandered, since this was my "light" spending day. I did come across a nice Blazing Combat 3 priced at less than half guide, and another Detective 411 which I bought.

17c.jpg

16c.jpg

It was nearing 12:30 by this point, so I called my little list of people who were intersted in going for lunch. Pedigreeman, Flink, Norrin, Scrooge, FFB, Jimm94 and a few others headed over to Gene and Jude's for hot dogs after the usual logistical difficulties involved in getting people together in one spot. Bobpfef was nowhere to be found and missed out once again. 893whatthe.gif The wait at G&J was a good half an hour; there were about 30 people in front of us. I guess that place isn't exactly a big secret. We ate outside along the building since there was no indoor seating. The dogs were very good, but I like mine with lots of stuff on it, and these only came with mustard, onion, relish and peppers. Overall, I was more impressed with Johnny's Italian Beef that I had eaten at Friday, which I am planning on visiting again real soon. I spent most of the lunch talking with Flink (Anne) who turned out to be a lot more wild than her subdued outfit and demeanor would suggest. Piercings and tats!?! Who would have thought! 893whatthe.gif Anne was also nice enough to buy me an Eric Powell sketch book and have him sign it for me. I turned her on to The Goon a few months ago and I was pleased to see that she is now a rabid fan. I tried to meet Powell three different times on Sunday, but his booth was empty every time. If Anne hadn't been so considerate I would have walked away empty handed in that respect. Thanks so much Anne! flowerred.gif

ep1.jpgep2.jpg

After lunch, I decided to call BassGMan (Sid) and compare notes and finds (since we share the same interests and buying mentality). We swung by Daydreams again and he picked up 5 or 6 Batmans from the same collection, pretty much all that was left by that point. We also went by Forbidden Planet, but it was getting late and I had to get going. I left the con around 3:00 and dropped my friend off. I showered, changed and rested up for an hour or two before the forum dinner at 8:00.

I got to Gibson's at 7:30 and I was thankful for the free valet after a day of walking. We had our own privare room, which was pretty much full, as most people had already arrived. I got a beer and talked with Sid, Anne and Mike for awhile, until I noticed Gary Colabuono. I had never met Gary, but I figure it must be him since he was showing around a few ashcans. I walked over and introduced myself and held the All-American ashcan in awe. As we were talking, people began sitting down, so I ended up between Gary and Joe Sarno. Not sure how I got the best seat in the house, but I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Obviously these guys have done a tremendous amount for the hobby, especially for those of us who collect in Chicago. Joe told me about "the boy with the most comics in the world" and Gary gave his views on page quality, golden age printing methods and Golden Tee Golf. grin.gif I had a blast talking with these two and I learned a hell of a lot in a short, short time. Someone took a few bizarre pictures of me flanked by Joe and Gary, and I would appreciate it if whoever took one would email it to me or post it. The picture was a bit of a non sequitur, as Win so elequently put it. Here were two guys who have been huge names in collecting for decades, on either side of my dumb tongue.gif

Scrooge, Centaurman, BassG and Flink were also at my table and we discussed everything from tape repair to Rob Zombie. As far as the food, I had my fillet butterflied, with a baked potato. It was good, but I was still stuffed from my large lunch and I wasn't able to enjoy the food as fully as I might have hoped. People started leaving soon after dinner and I took off around 10:30 or 11:00, as I had to get to a concert downtown (which I ended up missing). It was a great day and Pedigreeman deserves a lot of the credit. Thanks Alan, you host a good dinner! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I will post my Sunday report tomorrow, since I am sick of writing right now. sleeping.gif

Best con report since Borg's SD report. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hey, this is the ONLY con report since Borg's! mad.gifboo.gif

lol. How about..........your report kicks the crud out of Greggy's SD report. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

excellent report.

however, once again, you mention the ladies, and once again, no pictures.

frustrated.gif

jimminy christmas, what is wrong with you people? sheeeeeeesssshhhhh

excellent report.

however, once again, you mention the ladies, and once again, no pictures.

frustrated.gif

jimminy christmas, what is wrong with you people? sheeeeeeesssshhhhh

I forgot my camera! Christo_pull_hair.gifsorry.gif I have a few of the con though. I will get them developed on monday maybe. Several others took pictures at the dinner though.

Great report, OF. Working on mine tonight. The forum dinner was a BLAST. Also, I have a pic of you with Moondog and Sarno, and I'll email it to you once I've downloaded it from my camera. Sweet horror pick-ups, by the way! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks, I would appreciate it! It was nice to meet you, too bad we didn't have much of a chance to talk. We should all get together for lunch during the next Motor City Chicago mini-con.

Day 4

I got to the con around 11:00 and immediately called BassGMan about the Batman 222s he had seen at someone's booth. We went over there, but, out of the 6 copies, 5 were low to mid grade and the 6th was priced at $100 even with the bottom staple pop! 893whatthe.gif I passed on those. Afterwards I stopped by Daydreams again and bought these two Teen Titans for $25. I am not into the Titans at all, but I like the superhero/horror amalgams of the early 70s and these fit the bill. It also helped that have gorgeous QP and are at least 8.5/9.0s.

3c4.jpg2c4.jpg

Bass and I wandered for awhile, and I picked up my first war book. It has a great Kubert cover and eye-popping colors. I have wanted this one for awhile and was psyched to pick up this VF at 50% guide...

5c4.jpg

After that, I went to go check out Eric Powell's table, but he was nowhere to be found, so I stopped by Moondog's booth and talked with him and Flink for about half an hour. At the forum dinner, Joe Sarno had mentioned that Gary had a bunch of Web of Horror mags, so I checked those out. Unfortunately, of the 3 sets he had, all but 1 magazine had been sold. However, the one that was left was the elusive #3, which was one of the top five books on my want-list and the only copy I had seen at the con! Along with that, I got a cheap copy of Creepy 1 with nice eye appeal. The WoH 3 is now my favorite book in my collection. cloud9.gifcloud9.gif Just an absolutely killer Wrightson cover!

6c4.jpg

As I was perusing a DC 100 pager 4 at a nearby booth, Pedigreeman stopped by and started talking to the dealer. I was surpised to learn that he was none other than modern comics guru, klozd24seven. 893whatthe.gif I talked with Brad for about an hour and he filled me in on all the hot moderns he was selling. All I have to say is that moderns are an.....interesting.....genre. Lots of room to make some tall cash! I leaned quite a bit from him; I have to say it was very educational. Thanks Brad! We will have to get beers sometime.

By this point, time was running short for me, as I had to be out of there by 3:00. I decided then that I would break my cardinal rule. Yes, you guessed it. I hit up an ATM. frown.gifblush.gif I had taken a look at a really nice looking copy of Hulk 102 that Moondog was selling and I decided to bite the bullet and buy it. Unfortunately, I only had $6 left. Gary is a nice guy, but not THAT nice....hence the ATM trip. It was worth breaking the rule though. I love the book (which is currently in the grading forum).

hulk102.jpg

After securing my "big" purchase, I happened upon a small and unkempt booth near the front of the con. I browsed through the yellowing bags and came across two of my best buys at the con, percent of guide wise. I bought the following two books for a total of $16. The 100 pager is a solid 9.0 or better and the Star Spangled is an 8.0. I was really happy to pick these up.

1c4.jpg4c4.jpg

I said my goodbyes to the forum members I could find and headed out. What a great time. Can't wait til next year. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif